I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

I really like this one Keith. It sort of boils down a very compelling scene to its most important bits and those blacks are just to die for on my screen. Yummy.

11 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Bridge over untroubled water.  H503CX, Planar 80mm CF, Tri-X, Ilfosol 3.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wonderful Steve, really nicely done. Very artistic. More photos like this one please (plus more of your landscape stuff too :) )

On 1/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, Ouroboros said:

Eve.

Hasselblad 503CW

Zeiss 150mm CF sonnar

Portra 400

That is a lucky tub, Jul :) I have made a note of the bakery, thank you. I'm truly impressed by the blacks in this image, just wo-ow. Reminds me of some paintings I saw at the Mauritshuis here in The Hague a few months ago with my French cousin. She works with the restoration of antique gilded frames and has a background in classical art. She really opened up my eyes for how the old masters like Rembrandt and others on display were able to depict the subtlest variations in light across very very dark clothes showing even tiny  details in the fabric. I still remember what a revelation it was when she explained this to me. I don't know how many times I've been in that museum but it's a lot and I've never observed this before. There's always something new to see.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, Jul said:

Bathtub enjoying its second life in the Pyrenean foothills near Bidarrai.

If you ever go there, have a break at the bakery "Le Gâteau Basque de Bidarray", you will thank me later (I have no connection with them). 

M2, Summaron 35 f/2.8, Adox Silvermax semi-stand in one liter water at 16°C (with 5ml Rodinal poured in to give it some taste).

You had me turn my Eizo around here. I think you're right, it would look slightly more natural if horizontal. But what a shot!

On 1/21/2020 at 11:21 PM, Jul said:

M2, Summilux-M 75 f/1.4, Adox Silvermax, Rodinal 1+200 semi-stand at 16°C.

She was laying on a small wall staring at the sky, I prefer the picture rotated… 

Beautiful Adam, amazing colour. Can I ask how you reasoned when going for that Technorama? You've whetted my panoramic appetite... I mean there's for instance that Fuji GX too for instance if one wants to stick to 120 film.

Be careful of the minefields if you go to that river though (!) I parked in one once in Bosnia, only realising later that it had been there (because of the craters in the ground), and it wasn't fun to realise how close to death one can get.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:50 AM, A miller said:

My friend @ELAN has shared some fascinating news about a river that has within the past couple of weeks been publicly discovered near the dead sea.  It is pretty awesome and something to keep track of as it develops.  

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/143678/secret-river-discovered-connecting-jerusalem-to-dead-sea/

Speaking of the Dead Sea, here's a pano from last summer of a sinkhole bordering the edge of the sea 😍

Velvia 50 (6x17), Technorama 617siii, 180mm Schnieder APO Aymmar (with a PL)

WOW Rog, what IS this? Is it the exhaust of some futuristic Tron bike? Or Captain America's outfit in neon lights? Or a ghostinashellish cage? Whatever it is the light's gentle movement across those bars is simply divine.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:47 AM, Ernest said:

Quad
MA APO 50 Fuji Natura & Rolleiflex Planar f/2.8 E100

Really well executed Pritam, X marks the spot. Imagine that such an everyday object like power lines can create such a striking composition. Well done.

20 hours ago, Suede said:

Lines.   [Silvermax 100]

Well this is amazing, look at that threedimensionality, wow. Delta and Spur seem to be a match made in heaven.

20 hours ago, leiceria said:

M6, SL 1.4/50 asph., Delta 100, Spur TRX 2000

These subdued tones work really well here Klaus, it feels very lifelike. 

17 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Frost 

M7, SLX 50, Portra 400

Good one Shlomo, like the trombone effect on film.

17 hours ago, Shlomo said:

File under: People From Behind.

Nikon F3, Nikkor AiS, 35mm, 1.4.

And suddenly we all feel well :)

15 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, Ilford HP5+ 400, Kodak D-76 1:1 11"45' 21ºC.

Yes that was a while back also here in NL. Very nice shot Joachim.

15 hours ago, mdachs said:

I don't remember the year....

m4-2 2/90I/2

Joachim

Edited by philipus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Although I love film much better than digital, it's something I only appreciate in the finished product, in person. If the film is scanned and digitized it has no more flair or much of a difference that I can see. For that reason, I don't use film anymore. Doesn't make sense to shoot film, just to turn it into a digital scan to me. If a gallery wanted a series of my work, I would open the 4x5 film camera back up shoot  and develop it.

2 hours ago, philipus said:

I really like this one Keith. It sort of boils down a very compelling scene to its most important bits and those blacks are just to die for on my screen. Yummy.

Thank you Philip, much appreciated.  It was very gloomy and dark in the wood so it was a relief to actually get a useable negative!

• Thanks 1

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak Proimage 100.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi ChiTown,

Thanks for dipping into this thread. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and ultimately that is what all this is about, opinions. Speaking solely for myself, I have used a hybrid workflow for the better part of two decades and most definitely perceive the quality of film in the scans that I make with my three scanners. To my eye there is a distinct difference between a digital image and a film image, meaning that, in my view, scanning retains film's qualities. And there is no rational or logical reason why that should not be the case, since a scan is a photo of the developed film. Of course it is going to retain the look of film. To me it makes sense to turn film shots into digital scans for two main reasons, one - that I am able to share my photos, receive the invaluable feedback on them that I get from in particular this wonderful thread, in addition to enjoying the camaraderie that the really awesome film photographers who participate here provide, and two - that I am able to process the images on my computer in ways I could otherwise only dream of. I accept that some hold the view that one needs to be wholly analogue to be true to film. Well, if that works for them, all good and well for them, but for me that doesn't work.

All this having been said, I hope you'll show us a picture or two of your own.

Philip

4 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Although I love film much better than digital, it's something I only appreciate in the finished product, in person. If the film is scanned and digitized it has no more flair or much of a difference that I can see. For that reason, I don't use film anymore. Doesn't make sense to shoot film, just to turn it into a digital scan to me. If a gallery wanted a series of my work, I would open the 4x5 film camera back up shoot  and develop it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Full Stop No. 2
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, philipus said:

Hi ChiTown,

Thanks for dipping into this thread. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and ultimately that is what all this is about, opinions. Speaking solely for myself, I have used a hybrid workflow for the better part of two decades and most definitely perceive the quality of film in the scans that I make with my three scanners. To my eye there is a distinct difference between a digital image and a film image, meaning that, in my view, scanning retains film's qualities. And there is no rational or logical reason why that should not be the case, since a scan is a photo of the developed film. Of course it is going to retain the look of film. To me it makes sense to turn film shots into digital scans for two main reasons, one - that I am able to share my photos, receive the invaluable feedback on them that I get from in particular this wonderful thread, in addition to enjoying the camaraderie that the really awesome film photographers who participate here provide, and two - that I am able to process the images on my computer in ways I could otherwise only dream of. I accept that some hold the view that one needs to be wholly analogue to be true to film. Well, if that works for them, all good and well for them, but for me that doesn't work.

All this having been said, I hope you'll show us a picture or two of your own.

Philip

Thanks to this thread and the generous commentary and suggestions shared here, Adam introduced me to ADOX Color Implosion and Wayne prompted me to try Fuji Natura 1600, two very unique emulsions, decidedly un-digital. Unfortunately, both have been discontinued, so I must carefully edit images, before and after shooting, in building my ongoing palette for color field compositions. Doc Henry, in his artistic wisdom, named this thread, "I like film . . . (open thread)." The ellipsis (three dots) here is telling because it prompts completion of that which is omitted, constructing from fragments a sense of the whole. It is a challenge to fill in the blanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

Decidedly 3D! This so replicates vision, focusing on the horse's eye, while the peripheral is out of focus, never shifting attention away from the horse's eye. Simply awesome event.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Decidedly 3D! This so replicates vision, focusing on the horse's eye, while the peripheral is out of focus, never shifting attention away from the horse's eye. Simply awesome event.

Thank you Rog. I have in my minds eye the 30mm wide angle, but given the decided in and out of focus I am now wondering if it was in fact the 45mm.

Gary

• Like 1

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

This is very lyrical, like a transit from black and white to color, so classic and "frozen" in the moment. It has prompted me to pull Norbert Schneider's The Art of the Still Life off the bookshelf and consider his question: "How do the objects in a still life reflect the habits, thoughts, and aspirations of the time?" The answer invariably breathes life into the subject, calling up what Phil would allow is the cinematic montage. Do we hear Phil at the Moviola?

Thank you Rog, for looking this up for me ...😉, again, I wasn´t aware of a book... The quote and your addition particularly wraps it up nicely and breathes life into my picture... more life than I was aware of.    

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Start Up Borges
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion
A visual translation of Jorge Luis Borges's "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote"

have to think about this-and maybe reread a bit of Borges ... Very impressive, touching some deep layers of memory. 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb philipus:

Well some shots don't really work out at all, by which I mean that once the film's been pulled out of the light-tight box, developed and scanned there's a jagged disconnect between the impression I had when I envisioned and composed the shot and what I see on the screen. Like this one. A blown-out building in New Rustavi, Georgia, which I thought would look really cool because of all the horizontal and vertical lines. But seeing it now, I'm not happy. I ought to have allowed for air on the sides and to let those diagonals there, which I only see now, breathe. And I should have lined up the verticals better with the PC Mutar (to obviate the need for Photoshop trickery), though I think it was raised to its maximum here so I would have had to move back but there was a building and a road and people, and there's sometimes just no competing with reality so one had better simply give up and move on. Some shots are not made to be made :wacko:

But as it is often said, to end this ramble on a slightly more positive note, those who live in the past or with the what could've beens are never happy, so I choose to embrace the suck and post it anyway :D

Flickr
40 Distagon CFE+PC Mutar Ektar X1

Philip, for me this is -together with the church interior - one of your better pictures. I like the contrast between the playful pattern of the fence in the foreground and the strict,  repetitive pattern of the background building, the blue crane interrupting the grey uniformity, the odd orange rectangle to the left... and the total absence of life.. no builders, no cars, nothing. The constriction to the sides  is a bit against the conventional impulse--but in  the end it enhances the power of the picture.   Maybe sometimes we should trust our instincts... as you did here ... and refrain from too much post-exposure  regret.  ( Wasn't there a philosopher who said:  "Omne animal post expositionem triste" .. ? 😟) ´xcuse my latin, long gone....

K. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb gbealnz:

Gary, this is lovely and a very good example  how to use the XPan..

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Ouroboros:

This lady is a record producer, manages several very well-known artists and is a talented performer in her own right.  Currently gigging with the Flying Burrito Brothers, we had a lot of fun.

From a pr/album cover shoot we did in 2019 for the launch of her latest album.

Hasselblad 503CW

Zeiss 150mm CF Sonnar

Kodak Ektar

Is she a rock musician ? 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Shlomo:

Shlomo, mysterious and very convincing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1