Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb chrism:

Trying to figure out how to deal with the latest mutation, a 17p deletion, which changes the outlook a lot. 

Sorry to hear this. But try to hold on to your sense of beauty and your humor anyway.    

I like the salad ! It´s such a nice example of the beauty that we can find in the mundane...  We should enjoy it. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb AntonioF:

Thanks! Santa Croce is a baroque church, a style quite common in Lecce and southern Puglia. They just finished restoring the facade so the limestone is clean and bright. Unfortunately there is not a lot of space in front of the church, so it is basically impossible to take a picture of the entire facade, unless using a wild and deforming wide lens. 

I know the problem-you´d need a very wide Tilt/Shift lens--not feasible on the M-body. What I´ve been doing lately, is to take a vertical photo with a wide M-lens, say 21 or 18 mm, level it horizontally  and later  cut off the lower half. It´s nearly as good as a complicated T/S setup. Anyway, your pictures stir my appetite for Puglia and it´s culture. I have been to Sicily and the well known baroque towns... "Baroque"  seems to express itself quite differently in different countries. If you happen to be in Southern Germany, e.g. Munich, compare the bavarian baroque ( extreme: The Asam-Church ) to the baroque of southern Italy... very different. 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

Yes, I think so Rog. That movie has a particular fond memory attached, as we saw it on the first day of release at Times Square in New York.

Well, I just spent the last hour or so composing a response and foolishly left the page and so lost the lot. I think the point I was going to make is that I completely agree with Klaus' observation that reading your take on things, which invariably leads us eclectically through the best of Western art, is like showering under a cascade of ideas and knowledge. So well put. And that in fact photographic art (ie photography) is (at its best), again as Klaus proposes, like a mental loop of a sequence. In fact let's take it just one step further - could we not look at the still photograph as nothing more or less than a very short movie?

Stray Cat, I'm completely with you. Your pictures "Gesture à italienne´and the `Raub der Sabinerinnen´ are good examples-- both of them push the start button for a film.. and since it leaves a lot to your fantasy, a good and intensive one... So for me, that's one indicator of a good photo, to move something in the brain of the onlooker, to start a film. 

Contax III, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Delta 100 @ 80, PMK 1:2:100 10" 24ºC.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ancient Citizens of Carcassonne.

Leica I / Nikkor 50/2 Collapsible LTM / Kodak UltraMax 400

Cold gun metal grey pinnacles - Torres del Paines - Chile

Leica M5 - 35mm. Summicron f/11.0 on Velvia 50 colour slide film. Scanned on a Nikon Coolscan 8000ED with Silverfast 8.8 HDRi Archive Suite

10 hours ago, chrism said:

Trying to figure out how to deal with the latest mutation, a 17p deletion, which changes the outlook a lot. 

Just looked this up Chris. I just hope that you are able to manage things accordingly. Anyway, all my best wishes from downunder.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, Suede said:

The Grand Hall, Arles.  [Extra Film 200]

This is great. I must have been paying too little attention the first time I viewed it. I can't stop looking now. I say, in the most flattering terms possible:... the photo has that measure of absurdity I love so much: it is as if the box has dropped in from outer space. It is too bad I will likely never get to take a stroll with you.

Best,

Wayne

Contax IIIA, 35/3.5 Planar, TriX

Edited by Wayne

17 hours ago, benqui said:

James is right, this is a new version of "godfather":  "I did say break his leg and not his neck, stupid. But you are family, we will handle it.....

LOL - you guys are too funny. 😂

17 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Adam style and great shot .... I prefer your old red girl avatar 😊

thanks, Henry.  I'll never forget (and will never let you forget) when you suggested that I crop out that beautiful red pole 😉

8 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

It´s always good to have a spare broom.......

farm in the alps. 

M 7, 50mm- Delta 100- Rodinal

great contrast for the delta 100 👌

3 hours ago, DirkR440 said:

Zürich Christmas Market

Leica MP, 24mm Elmar and Kodak Ektar:

Christmas Market Zürich by Dirk R., auf Flickr

very well done, Dirk!

I caught myself doing a live Instagram video - not really on purpose but I just snapped out of habit 😂  I clearly need a GoPro 😂

M-A, 28mm, Portra 400

3 hours ago, adelie said:

Cold gun metal grey pinnacles - Torres del Paines - Chile

Leica M5 - 35mm. Summicron f/11.0 on Velvia 50 colour slide film. Scanned on a Nikon Coolscan 8000ED with Silverfast 8.8 HDRi Archive Suite

really stunning ! And you kept those highlights under control while retaining great shadow detail.  Bravo!! 👌

1 hour ago, A miller said:

I caught myself doing a live Instagram video - not really on purpose but I just snapped out of habit 😂  I clearly need a GoPro 😂

M-A, 28mm, Portra 400

Ballistic blur beautiful butterfly boulevard bounce.

8 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Ballistic blur beautiful butterfly boulevard bounce.

I'll have what you're having! 😂

Edited by A miller

Little Red Oblique M-A APO 50 E100
A Rietveld Red Blue Chair companion? Happy 100th Bauhaus Birthday.

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Lunar  M-A APO 50 E100

"Lunar Sea" or even "Total Lunar Sea" might be a more appropriate title Rog. This and Little Red Oblique just border on the totally unhinged, although the latter looks like it might have hinges in order to open into the 3D box it obviously really is. How do you do that? No - don't want to know - the mystery of the process combined with the mystery of the narrative spoken by the pictures themselves is too delicious to deconstruct. Please, though, do keep pointing that virtual Leica of yours at these virtual scenes in that virtual universe. And where's Billy Bibbit hiding?

Edited by stray cat

15 hours ago, chrism said:

Sorry to hear this .... anything I say seems trite, but know you have touched many lives including those in this Forum and me especially -- your pictures and the camera you sold me a while back has been put to good use.