I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 4.12.2019 um 23:02 schrieb Rennrocky:

Berlin Kurfürstendamm Hermes Hassi CX 503 Kodak Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What was it called in the late 60s ? Psychodelic ?  --well spotted Rennrocky.. 

Am 5.12.2019 um 01:53 schrieb A miller:

Since I am a day behind, I will throw up another - this is from this past Monday.  We had a nasty bout of freezing cold sleet and I ventured out with my Nikon Action Touch underwater camera and Portra 400 😍

I like this shot-I´m impressed again by your skills with the flash and the exact focus plane.. Is it ok to listen to Leonhard Cohen watching this shot ? 

Am 5.12.2019 um 05:42 schrieb stray cat:

Derwent Water 1985

Kodachrome 😢

Philip, this is really outstanding.  

Am 5.12.2019 um 10:12 schrieb stray cat:

Welcoming chrism "Dr XP2" back seems an opportune time to revisit the wonderful tonality that this exquisite film has:

london bridge 2019

m2, 35mm summaron, xp2 super (dev C41).

Impressive range of greys

vor 11 Stunden schrieb mikeamosau:

Kyoto, Japan

Hasselblad XPAN 45mm. Kodak Portra 400 

www.photobasecamp.com

good use of the horizontal pano-format, Mike

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Keith (M):

The first test roll in the 'new' 503CX (ref above) taken Thurs afternoon in very dull, dreary, overcast and damp conditions - not exactly ideal but such tests won't wait!  

503CX with Acute Matt D screen, 80mm Planar CF T*, Tri-X, Rodinal 1:50.

Looks good, Keith ! 

• Thanks 3

On 12/4/2019 at 9:31 PM, Wayne said:

It would be nothing but spectacular at about 4' high and 20' long. The right side is incredible.

Thanks, Wayne.  I think I could accommodate that size 😉

On 12/4/2019 at 11:42 PM, stray cat said:

Derwent Water 1985

Kodachrome 😢

Stunning, Phil.  The colors are just sublime and the placement of the reflections within the frame are awesome.  Really enjoyable!

On 12/5/2019 at 3:28 AM, stray cat said:

Wow! Just WOW Adam.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:12 AM, stray cat said:

Welcoming chrism "Dr XP2" back seems an opportune time to revisit the wonderful tonality that this exquisite film has:

london bridge 2019

m2, 35mm summaron, xp2 super (dev C41).

Love it, Phil.  But where's the London Bridge? 😀

On 12/5/2019 at 6:00 AM, sixteen pads said:

Moment

f3/50mm/kodak

Killer, Pat.  It is so cinematic that it also seems as if you paused a high drama TV show and took a photo with your "kodak" film.  DOn't know how you managed to get that shot, but it is really amazing.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:44 AM, benqui said:

Thank you Adam! I was decluttering my archive and found the Cinestill portrait with the Summilux 50. But after a while I sold the Summilux the fund a (please forgive me😉) 24-90 for my SL. Although it sounds stupid, the photos with the SL were perfect, but too perfect for me. So I sold my SL Equipment to buy a M4 and a Apo 50. 

Very impressive Adam! The wood truss on the right side look like people in the water!

Looking forward the see your next Blizzard!

Yes, I agree Phile: the black and White tones look so good!

To me this is one of the best photos which I have seen in this thread! It is really a masterpiece! Congratulations!!!!

Thanks, Marc and I'll let my "lawyer" speak from my feelings on your recent purchase of that SL lens... 😂

22 hours ago, Suede said:

City space.    [Silvermax 100]

really lovely and I'd love to got here one day.  @JMF has shown us some great shots from that place

20 hours ago, adelie said:

Roaring river of aquamarine cleanses the spirit and soul of interlopers in this pristine land

Leica M5 - 35mm Summicron f/11.0 on Velvia 50 colour slide film.

Patagonia Argentina.

People's taste can differ, but I really love the incredibly surreal results from the Velvia 50.  Your trip is a gift for us that keeps on giving! 😍

11 hours ago, mikeamosau said:

Kyoto, Japan

Hasselblad XPAN 45mm. Kodak Portra 400 

www.photobasecamp.com

Love it!!  Such a clean frame and love the film aesthetic!

5 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Fresh and cold .... 

Kodak Portra 400-Leica M-A-28 Summicron Asph  

Portra dev home lab in Tetenal and scan Nikon CS 5000 with Nikon Software (not Vuescan or Silver Fast please) in TIFF and Uncorrected

Best  Henry   the can's worms to defending the film , the best

I can't get enough of this scene, Henry.  Perfect winter wonderland and you do it so well.  

2 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

The first test roll in the 'new' 503CX (ref above) taken Thurs afternoon in very dull, dreary, overcast and damp conditions - not exactly ideal but such tests won't wait!  

503CX with Acute Matt D screen, 80mm Planar CF T*, Tri-X, Rodinal 1:50.

Congrats, Keith and wishing you lots of enjoyment and health with it  (and posts here!)!

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

What was it called in the late 60s ? Psychodelic ?  --well spotted Rennrocky.. 

I like this shot-I´m impressed again by your skills with the flash and the exact focus plane.. Is it ok to listen to Leonhard Cohen watching this shot ? 

Philip, this is really outstanding.  

Impressive range of greys

good use of the horizontal pano-format, Mike

Looks good, Keith ! 

Thanks, Klaus.  The Nikon Action touch has manual focus setting that are extremely easy to toggle back and forth.  So I kept it at about a meter and toggled one notch closer and farther on a whim.  Not too bad although my Leica is the king but I need dry snow for that 😀

Here is what I came with on the very early Thanksgiving morning with my Technorama.  

It is actually THREE shots stitched together in Lightroom.  The first was with my lens "fall" max out at -14mm.  Then the second was with my lens "rise" maxed out at +14MM.  The third was taken one flight of stairs up and a little back with the lens rise maxed out at +14mm. I needed the third as the second did not reach the top arch in the center.  I also took the third a week later.   I wasn't sure that it would stitch given that I wasn't on the same exact plane.  But voila!

The exposure time was well over 6 minutes (due t the center filter and reciprocity) and the few people that were there hanging around turned into ghosts.

What ya'll think?

Ektar, Technorama 617sii, 90mm Super Angulon XL (TIFF file size is 1.3GB)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, A miller said:

Here is what I came with on the very early Thanksgiving morning with my Technorama.  

It is actually THREE shots stitched together in Lightroom.  The first was with my lens "fall" max out at -14mm.  Then the second was with my lens "rise" maxed out at +14MM.  The third was taken one flight of stairs up and a little back with the lens rise maxed out at +14mm. I needed the third as the second did not reach the top arch in the center.  I also took the third a week later.   I wasn't sure that it would stitch given that I wasn't on the same exact plane.  But voila!

The exposure time was well over 6 minutes (due t the center filter and reciprocity) and the few people that were there hanging around turned into ghosts.

What ya'll think?

Very nice! If ever your time permits, I would suggest a further exposure with more of that beautiful ceiling. You could reach heavens if you could line up the diagonals on the floor and the ceiling in a way that they meet each corner of the picture. BTW., did you have to bribe the security personnel to make these shots on a tripod? 

13 minutes ago, A miller said:

What ya'll think?

A very neat piece of sewing indeed, Adam. ;) An impressive result.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Very nice! If ever your time permits, I would suggest a further exposure with more of that beautiful ceiling. You could reach heavens if you could line up the diagonals on the floor and the ceiling in a way that they meet each corner of the picture. BTW., did you have to bribe the security personnel to make these shots on a tripod? 

Thanks, James.  There is no way for me to get more of the ceiling with my gear without pointing the camera up, It might be possible to get what you are referring to in a "fine art" fashion with a 4x5 with a very wide lens, perhaps the 47mm that @MT0227 has... Not sure and maybe we can try.    A long series of Verticals wouldn't be worth the squeeze for me. 😅

As for the security, basically I have immunity and nobody messing with me.  💪

• Haha 1

This young Saanen lady was a favourite model, and later a reliable provider of milk, butter, yogurt, and cheese. Her name was Tilly, and this was a Fujichrome100 slide from somewhere in the early 1970's. Probably taken with a Pentax K1000. I might add that there are no species of pet better than a goat. Not only intelligent, they are wily, sneaky and smart in unexpected ways. The fence that will successfully contain a goat has yet to be invented.

I am now waiting for paperwork to be completed to start on ibrutinib, whilst my name has been entered on the bone marrow transplant list so as to search for a donor. As soon as a donor is found, the transplant process starts.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, chrism said:

This young Saanen lady was a favourite model, and later a reliable provider of milk, butter, yogurt, and cheese. Her name was Tilly, and this was a Fujichrome100 slide from somewhere in the early 1970's. Probably taken with a Pentax K1000. I might add that there are no species of pet better than a goat. Not only intelligent, they are wily, sneaky and smart in unexpected ways. The fence that will successfully contain a goat has yet to be invented.

I am now waiting for paperwork to be completed to start on ibrutinib, whilst my name has been entered on the bone marrow transplant list so as to search for a donor. As soon as a donor is found, the transplant process starts.

very funny story and best of luck with the transplant process. 🤞

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Fresh and cold .... 

Kodak Portra 400-Leica M-A-28 Summicron Asph  

Portra dev home lab in Tetenal and scan Nikon CS 5000 with Nikon Software (not Vuescan or Silver Fast please) in TIFF and Uncorrected

Best  Henry   the can's worms to defending the film , the best

Logically, I am telling myself, "Doc Henry is standing on a small footbridge, and it's cold--not that cold but cold enough to hold the hoar frost for a delicate, magical portrait of a brook posing in quiet solitude. Wait. Maybe Doc is gliding in a skiff over the sterling silver reflections on the water." I slap myself back to reality and realize that Doc is certainly hovering, motionless, except for the whirring of his diaphanous wings, both hands free to attend to what it is photographers do--let the creative spirit fly.

Can you see me standing, applauding enthusiastically?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have convinced myself that a slight crop is needed.... 😅

Edited by A miller
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Heading down the alleyway on miserable Dec afternoon.  H503CX, 80mm Planar CF T*, Tri-X, Rodinal.

• Like 15

44 minutes ago, Bugenhagen said:

Hi everybody,

I‘ve been following this thread for a while and really love all your pictures! I recently bought a Leica M6 and wanted to share this from one of my first rolls shot on Portra 400 in Bonn.

Welcome!!!!  Looks like you have captured some lovely evening light.  I love how the bright sky is full of details.  

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb chrism:

lovely photo and good luck to you! 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Bugenhagen:

Hi everybody,

I‘ve been following this thread for a while and really love all your pictures! I recently bought a Leica M6 and wanted to share this from one of my first rolls shot on Portra 400 in Bonn.

Welcome ! and:  nice shot, perfect lighting for the p 400

vor 26 Minuten schrieb A miller:

I have convinced myself that a slight crop is needed.... 😅

I agree, the first version is fine, but this one is even more convincing--proportionwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1