I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Ha the Leicaflex SL an old camera but great for nice pictures Wayne 

It is true. I should shoot it more often. All other considerations aside, the feature of the SL that puts on top of every other SLR I have shot is the viewfinder/focusing screen. It is like magic. The 28 Elmarit is new, to me; I should have purchased one sooner.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Fishing derby.....Aftermath

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Foca Universal, Oplar 28/6.3, HP5

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Michael Hiles said:

Wonderful. Implies a skill and craft that is, I believe, central to making fine pictures.

Yes Michel it's better than a printer where the ink nozzles get clogged and where you have to work in front of your computer and the complications sometimes to make it work

45 minutes ago, Wayne said:

It is true. I should shoot it more often. All other considerations aside, the feature of the SL that puts on top of every other SLR I have shot is the viewfinder/focusing screen. It is like magic. The 28 Elmarit is new, to me; I should have purchased one sooner.

Best,

Wayne

The best SLR IMO  . Keep it don't sell Wayne !  a  German Panzer but a great treasure 

23 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Fishing derby.....Aftermath

Foca Universal, Oplar 28/6.3, HP5

Foca  another great camera Wayne 

Best H 

• Like 1

Another Spanish property ripe for renovation.  MP, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, Acros100, Rodinal.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you  Pete, of course that's a deplorable lack of knowledge... but somehow Tolkien never clicked with me.

I'm with you Klaus, never really clicked with me either. And I live 12nm from the "Shire".

I found this. http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Entwives

Gary

• Thanks 1

vor 30 Minuten schrieb gbealnz:

I'm with you Klaus, never really clicked with me either. And I live 12nm from the "Shire".

I found this. http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Entwives

Gary

Thank you Gary for the link, I just had a look ---l like the header caption: "I shan't call it the end, till we've cleared up the mess."  How do they know about my film archive ? 😂

BTW,   I did a couple of  the " Great Walks" in NZ  and I treasure  the memories of the time down there dearly ... Including the circle around "Mount Doom" ... I was fully digital then- so no pics here...😕

K. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Empire Waist  M-A Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura

• Like 16

Contax III, Jupiter 12, Ilford Delta 100 @ 80, PMK 1:2:100 10" 24ºC.

Edited by Xícara de Café
  • Like 19

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:18 AM, christoph_d said:

guns n roses...

MP, 35(?), Fuji Industrial 100 

Such a haunting (cinematic!) scenario, since you've captured history punctuated with the suspense of this woman's walk with the high notes of red. This flashes back to Don't Look Now. The tonality of the wall, her hair, the dress, and her bag playing in counterpoint to the Banksy promise of violence. All working in concert. Well-deserved applause.

20 hours ago, A miller said:

Another one of me bonding with nature in my otherwise concrete surroundings 😂

SWC, Tmax 100

Mommy, mommy--please,. leave the lights on!  ENTERING dreamland of the surreal.  The focus is frightening (double entendre intended).

11 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

....  at the time of pixels race,  race of Isos , autofocus and electronic viewfinder in cameras

back for me to the source of photography  !   Great pleasure for all mechanical and manual  !!!

Best

H

So understated and magical, almost like an analog alien touching down. Flashes of Adam Bartos's Darkroom (2012 Steidl), which I highly recommend for its catalog and reverence of the analog.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:49 AM, Ernest said:

"Form equals content" is the well-worn phrase, but this statement overstates the proscenium of photography. Proscenium appropriately mandates "framing," as in the proscenium arch of a theatre stage, and so much of photography is theatrical or by extension cinematic as the photographer directs and edits vision. The photographic proscenium is not always limited to what is within the frame but suggests what is not within the frame, what is absent. As an example, Antonioni is quoted in Philippe Garner's Antonioni's Blow-Up: "I always mistrust everything which I see, which an image shows me, because I imagine what is beyond it. And what is beyond an image cannot be known." You have mentioned Jay Maisel's very useful Light, Color, and Gesture that defines the primacy of gesture, that certain something that reveals content.

Your OOF oops in this photograph ironically demonstrates what every photographer does in "considering gesture," as Maisel would suggest, editing the frame, and focusing (or de-focusing). Maybe the worn phrase can be re-shod to "practice refracts vision"? Clumsy as it is, you get the drift. Let me see about nomenclature: de-focusing, un-focusing, anti-focusing, out-focusing, con-focusing . . . or maybe just con-fusing?

On 11/25/2019 at 6:08 AM, Ernest said:

It is very distressing to read that 80% of the natural habitat of the koala bear has been destroyed by bushfires in Australia, endangering the species, altogether.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:39 AM, Ernest said:

Stitch  M-A Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Empire Waist  M-A Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura

Thank you sincerely, as always Rog, for your most coherent and lucid thoughts. Certainly, cinema as an influence on still photography cannot be understated - in fact I wonder if, as time progresses, we are perhaps more influenced in our visual understanding by cinema than by "still" pictures and, if so, how this translates in the work of the producers of "still" work (painters, sculptors, photographers etc) insofar as at differs from what once would have influenced them (us). I think that, even here just in this forum, I can see much that is "cinematic" - much, too, that is of a more pictorial bent, but I think the cinematic is definitely on the rise. Which leads us to propose the question: what do we mean by cinematic. I think of it in terms of the French phrase for the movie director's highest craft: that of metteur en scène. The director "puts into the picture" what is required and nothing more. Think of a scene like that of one of, I think it is Martin Scorscese's films where he reveals, from just back from a doorway, a character speaking, but just revealing part of the character - his legs or whatever. the effect was to have theatre audiences leaning over so that they could see around the doorway to the rest of the character, as if this were possible, then embarassedly leaning back to their straight positions hoping no-one else noticed. If you could just do this in a still photograph!

I heartily concur on the fate of the koalas, and for all wildlife damaged by fire. I spent a lot of time photographing these gentle and beautiful creatures back in the 1990s, working with the Australian Koala Foundation. It is distressing to see.

Your own photographs, Rog, are extremely cinematic (not surprisingly) yet I find increasingly that they nod towards the tableau. They are very classicist in their use of color and form, and perhaps this is more so where you use the qualities of the thambar lens for diffusion and, in a sense, obfuscation. And RED, that most passionate and evocative of colors - also dangerous and violent. Mysterious and intriguing.

• Thanks 1

Cartography Notes  M-A Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura

• Like 15

21 hours ago, adan said:

Now that's an Ent (or Entwife), if ever i saw one!

very clever, Andy 👌

17 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

I fully agree Adam, it´s nice to have a friend or better friends around... even better, if they have a nice hip..😃.  

ha ha, good one, Klaus 😂

14 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Ha the Leicaflex SL an old camera but great for nice pictures Wayne 

Very strange and impressive tree nice capture and black tone Adam 

Great film for color Klaus 

Best  Henry 

Thanks, Henry!

3 hours ago, Rennrocky said:

Rolleicord Portra 400

Wow, sublime colors - so good!! 

2 hours ago, Ernest said:

Mommy, mommy--please,. leave the lights on!  ENTERING dreamland of the surreal.  The focus is frightening (double entendre intended).

😂 hysterical, Rog.  Thanks.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jerusalem 🕵️‍♂️

Tri-X, IIIg, 28 summaron

• Like 18

More from Brodsworth Hall & Gardens. The first of the hall, looking majestic on Ilford XP2:

And the second of a dry seed head on Lomography 400, in the gardens - no idea what it is!!

• Like 16