I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Same roll of film:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Minolta Autocord - Ektachrome (old)

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, SunnySixteen said:

Burbank CA - October 2019

Cinestill 800 - Summicron 35 - ND .9 - M6

Brings back a few memories. I remember staying there for a few days back in 2007. I had an M8 with me (it was all the rage back then).

• Like 1

In Collioure.

Leica I / Nikkor 50/2 Collapsible LTM / Kodak UltraMax 400

• Like 11

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Same roll of film:

Minolta Autocord - Ektachrome (old)

Very nice James, you are channeling the old dutch masters. For Turner it´s too sharp.... 😂

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(no)thing V AP2
M-A APO 50 & Macro-Elmar-M ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Another minimalist sketch in color and texture from the (no)thing series.

• Like 8

Gerade eben schrieb Ernest:

(no)thing V AP2

Rog, I just love this ! The color is so clean, humble, like a piece of cloth to make a school-uniform from. And then comes the piece of paper !! Humbly sticking its wrinkled  face out-and having the last say.. Please don't misunderstand me, but this is like a good joke. Dead pan. And then it hits you.... Chapeau. 

K. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Installation II ( Rocky coast ) 

SWC, Portra 400

• Like 15

Change of scene and back to the Sheffield & Tinsley Canal with a roll of Ilford FP4 and my trusty Hasselblad...

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adan said:

That I wouldn't know, and must defer to actual users. Zeiss does say "better corner performance than predecessors" and the field flatness is improved. And the MTF charts back that up.

However, its barrel distortion skyrockets to nearly 4% (!) - plain vanilla CFE ony reaches 1.5% (Biogon 0.3%) - the usual trade-offs in lens design. Also remember that digital backs always crop the corners anyway (if there were a full 6x6 digital back - Oooooo!).

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/pdf/lds/CFE40IF.pdf

https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/camera-lenses/files/service/download-center/datasheets/historical-lenses/hasselblad-cfi-cfe/datasheet-zeiss-distagon-440-cfe-en.pdf

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Adam,  Hasselblad Germany did a lot of seminars with high end photographers until the company was sold to Imacon -then their marketing shifted and the seminars were discontinued. These seminars were highly instructive,  and apart from the teaching photographer there was always a technician and a system- guy from the company who knew  everything.  This  was  until  2005, when the V-System was still kicking but digital was already on the horizon. I had just bought a 4/40 IF and was a bit ambivalent about what I saw: superb sharpness and contrast, but a curved horizon ( of course barrel, not cushion as I wrote before ) That's what they told me: The construction of the 4/40 FLE IF was done with the  digital back in mind. They went for sharpness to make  the new construction fit for the digital back era  and thus were willing to accept some distortion --which, they suggested, could be easily eliminated by some algorithms in or outside the camera... (Look at a uncorrected picture of the super-sharp Q type 1,7/28 Summilux and you know what they were speaking of). So I am completely with Adan, the distortion of the 40 IF  is clearly visible and if you don't want it, you have to post-process. Sharpnesswise there is no visible difference to the SWC ( 905) I own; it might even be better.  The Hasselblad guy told me at one of these occasions, that in his opinion  few of their lenses would be sharp enough to make it into the digital-back era, and these would be the 40 IF, the  late Distagon 60 , the Makro 120, the 180 and thats it. 

K. 

Many thanks, Andy and Klaus.  Between the two of you I have learned more than I have with all of Google.  I think I am going to stick with my SWC... :)

3 hours ago, SunnySixteen said:

Very cool!  Why the ND filter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ernest said:

(no)thing V AP2

Agree with Klaus - chapeau! When (nominally) (no)thing can encompass a universe.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, A miller said:

Many thanks, Andy and Klaus.  Between the two of you I have learned more than I have with all of Google.  I think I am going to stick with my SWC... :)

Very cool!  Why the ND filter?

Thanks Adam! ND so I could open up a few stops under the bright Californian sun at 800asa...

Edited by SunnySixteen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SunnySixteen said:

And, sunny, I can't leave this without comment either. A wonderfully realized photograph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last Number  M-A Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura

• Like 15

Rog, I just love this ! The color is so clean, humble, like a piece of cloth to make a school-uniform from. And then comes the piece of paper !! Humbly sticking its wrinkled  face out-and having the last say.. Please don't misunderstand me, but this is like a good joke. Dead pan. And then it hits you.... Chapeau. 

K. 

Thanks, I like "dead pan." The cobalt blue is so seductive, and with two panels, it's stereophonic music. So to disrupt the harmony, here comes the crumpled paper bag, jamming things up a bit--contrast of texture, too, though it's over-exposed begging for a little more discipline.

Installation II ( Rocky coast ) 

SWC, Portra 400

Awesome, totally sublime installation. The cerulean sky and the complementary raw sienna with a touch of alizarin crimson cast in a triangulated composition, very 3D. (Sublime in the sense of the 19th-century aesthetic.)

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

Agree with Klaus - chapeau! When (nominally) (no)thing can encompass a universe.

Invariably tugging against the tether of credulity, heave ho. Sounding the timpani of double negative, if it's not (no)thing, it's (every)thing, and there's your universe. You always manage the tightrope of revolution.  BTW Katrien De Blauwer just got a two-page spread of her book of photo-collages I Hate Cars in the issue of the graphic design mag, Eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cracking  M-A Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1