I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

PhEST Monopoli - M6, Summicron 35 asph, HP5@1600

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, A miller said:

Here's another from Central Park last week.  Who would ever guess this is New York City? 🤷‍♂️

I used a polarizing lens hoping to remove the reflections and enhance the contrast a bit.  Many people would throw on an ND filter and let the exposure rip for a minute.  And then see the vignetting and adverse effect on colors and whimper.  1-2 seconds is plenty sufficient, me thinks.

Ektar, Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautifully rendered, lovely colours and composition.

PS - as to my recent uploads, yes they are from our usual autumnal Spanish sojourn (we spend Sep & Oct there).  Oh, and we have a Spring sojourn too (mid Apr to mid June).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Did you hear they nicked Yves ?  At least they painted the bars according to his urgent requests..... who's next ? Pollock ? OMG, imagine the mess.... 

You sent me in quest of Klein Blue, which I remember from Udo Kultermann's The New Painting (1969), but I didn't know his reference to bars: "I am against the line and all its consequences: contours, forms, composition. All paintings of whatever sort, figuratives or abstract, seem to me like prison windows in which the lines, precisely, are the bars." I still don't get Klein's "urgent requests," as you mention, and the bars "they painted." His insistence on blue to the exclusion of all other colors is a daring program, which deconstructs itself by overlooking Ferdinand de Saussure's point that we know colors by what they're not. Klein discounts colors other that blue because they suggest "associative ideas": "Blue has no dimensions; it is beyond dimensions, whereas the other colours are not... All colours arouse specific associative ideas... while blue suggests at most the sea and sky, and they, after all, are in actual, visible nature what is most abstract." That he contradicts himself, stating that the associative ideas of blue are at least "the sea and the sky," even though this "visible nature" is abstract, cannot be ignored. Still, Klein's thinking is provocative and insightful, constantly challenging the received notions of color, art, and construction. Thanks so much, Klaus, for sending this Klein Blue balloon aloft for me to follow. Even though Klein says he's against the line, I argue there's no parole from the prison sentence of the line. Here's a sketch that might allow for some deserved time in the exercise yard if the warden so deems. But, it's all up in the air.

Tethers III Sketch  M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

That's what happens, if  you combine a highly corrected, very sharp and wide MF lens with a 12 mm extension ring... flower touches the front lens and you have to clean it...

HB 205, Distagon 4/40 IF, Ext 12 mm, Portra 400@200

Awesome, artful blur.

19 hours ago, A miller said:

Also awesome, Rog.  I am thinking on glossy meta about 12 feet in a giant living room. 

I love the way you think. At 12', it would look appropriate in that NYC penthouse with 19' high ceilings, even though it may compete with that view of the Chrysler building. After seeing Jenny Saville's monumental scale paintings, like 40' high, at the Broad Museum, maybe we could ratchet Tethers III at 12' up to 36'? Saville's painting "Propped' went for 12.4 mil at Sotheby's in London BTW.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DirkR440 said:

Hanoi, Leica MP with Summilux 50mm and Portra 160:

Hanoi by Dirk R., auf Flickr

totally agree with the others, Dirk.  These are so cinematic.  I wedding photographer could fetch a large sum for an entire wedding shot like this.  Keep it up 

5 hours ago, benqui said:

M6, Apo 50, Tmax 400, X-Tol (1:1)

3 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

PS - as to my recent uploads, yes they are from our usual autumnal Spanish sojourn (we spend Sep & Oct there).  Oh, and we have a Spring sojourn too (mid Apr to mid June).

So perfectly executed, Marc.  But I must say that I find her eyes a bit puzzling, particularly the left one 🤪

44 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

As I have written some pages earlier, I lately struggled with my photographic progress. To overcome my feelings about my work I encouraged myself with a print from a picture I took this year during our visit to NYC. I used the service of Whitewall and am happy I did so. Just today I finally I brought this fine piece on a wall in our house and it looks stunning and feels gorgeous :) Please excuse the quick snapshot with my smartphone! Btw., the print has a size of 60x40 cm.

Excellent, James.  What paper did you use?

16 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Awesome, artful blur.

I love the way you think. At 12', it would look appropriate in that NYC penthouse with 19' high ceilings, even though it may compete with that view of the Chrysler building. After seeing Jenny Saville's monumental scale paintings, like 40' high, at the Broad Museum, maybe we could ratchet Tethers III at 12' up to 36'? Saville's painting "Propped' went for 12.4 mil at Sotheby's in London BTW.

LOL, very funny, Rog.  I think for sizes that big - which I fully support - you may need a little more film-plane ammo :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Very nice, Keith.  Perhaps one summer you can hop over to Tel Aviv for a few days for some fun in the sun and shooting with me 😎

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb A miller:

So perfectly executed, Marc.  But I must say that I find her eyes a bit puzzling, particularly the left one 🤪

That is pretty normal when you walk for a time with me through the city! You should know it 😉

Edited by benqui
  • Haha 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Ernest:

You sent me in quest of Klein Blue, which I remember from Udo Kultermann's The New Painting (1969), but I didn't know his reference to bars: "I am against the line and all its consequences: contours, forms, composition. All paintings of whatever sort, figuratives or abstract, seem to me like prison windows in which the lines, precisely, are the bars." I still don't get Klein's "urgent requests," as you mention, and the bars "they painted." His insistence on blue to the exclusion of all other colors is a daring program, which deconstructs itself by overlooking Ferdinand de Saussure's point that we know colors by what they're not. Klein discounts colors other that blue because they suggest "associative ideas": "Blue has no dimensions; it is beyond dimensions, whereas the other colours are not... All colours arouse specific associative ideas... while blue suggests at most the sea and sky, and they, after all, are in actual, visible nature what is most abstract." That he contradicts himself, stating that the associative ideas of blue are at least "the sea and the sky," even though this "visible nature" is abstract, cannot be ignored. Still, Klein's thinking is provocative and insightful, constantly challenging the received notions of color, art, and construction. Thanks so much, Klaus, for sending this Klein Blue balloon aloft for me to follow. Even though Klein says he's against the line, I argue there's no parole from the prison sentence of the line. Here's a sketch that might allow for some deserved time in the exercise yard if the warden so deems. But, it's all up in the air.

Tethers III Sketch  M-A APO 50 E100

Rog, thank you for your thoughtful response--to my clumsy response to Tethers III.  

Actually I wasn't aware of Kleins ideas about bars and prison windows- I'm not that educated. I just recognized the ! blue and the pattern reminded me of prison bars. So that started a film of poor Yves being in a prison cell and him requesting urgently  a more adequate accomodation--at least having the bars  painted  blue... Sorry for the simplicity of the plot. And than I thought about what  other artists would do to their cells...and that sent me to Jackson (Pollock) and what would he do to make him feel at home in that cell... ☺️.  

• Haha 1

vor 22 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Which version of the 40mm do you have?  I have been thinking of getting the latest version and selling my SWC - not because it is a better lens but so that I can use the PC Mutar (which @philipus made me buy recently) for rise and fall, which really could come in handy.

Adam, I have the last version, which has got the IF integrated-its the version which has  no additional focusing ring.  Its a superb lens regarding sharpness, contrast and handling-but it´s expensive, heavy and has a certain amount of distortion which might bother you. I don't care, but if you attach great importance on a distortion-free rendering, you may have to do some post processing: there is a small, but clearly visible amount of cushion  distortion, say about 3-4  mm on 1 meter on the margin of the frame.  The SWC lens is clearly unbeatable regards distortion and the better choice in that regard. Otherwise I love my 4/40... it´s my second copy, the first got lost, don't ask me how... 

. And: you'll need new polarizers.... have a look at the price of S 93 polarizers before deciding.. 😫

If you already have the PC Mutar, perhaps you can rent the 4/40 Distagon IF and decide then. A good copy of the IF version sells for at least 3000€ in Europe, the previous FLE-version should sell for half the price. They were cheaper 1 or 2 years before, but less than 1k were made and the prices are rising. Last not least: The SWC and the 4/40 make a good couple😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kl@usW. said:

Adam, I have the last version, which has got the IF integrated-its the version which has  no additional focusing ring.  Its a superb lens regarding sharpness, contrast and handling-but it´s expensive, heavy and has a certain amount of distortion which might bother you. I don't care, but if you attach great importance on a distortion-free rendering, you may have to do some post processing: there is a small, but clearly visible amount of cushion  distortion, say about 3-4  mm on 1 meter on the margin of the frame.  The SWC lens is clearly unbeatable regards distortion and the better choice in that regard. Otherwise I love my 4/40... it´s my second copy, the first got lost, don't ask me how... 

. And: you'll need new polarizers.... have a look at the price of S 93 polarizers before deciding.. 😫

If you already have the PC Mutar, perhaps you can rent the 4/40 Distagon IF and decide then. A good copy of the IF version sells for at least 3000€ in Europe, the previous FLE-version should sell for half the price. They were cheaper 1 or 2 years before, but less than 1k were made and the prices are rising. Last not least: The SWC and the 4/40 make a good couple😂

Thanks, Klaus, very informative and funny.  I will check out renting a copy, as well as whether I could use my Lee polarizing lens and filter set by just buying a lens ring adapter...

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb A miller:

Don't really think this flies, but I dropped one of my Apple iPhone airbuds (the new model that is supposed to stay in your ear better 😤) in the swampy water in the process of making this, and it was a bitch to fish out, so I am somewhat emotionally attached at the moment 😡

Ektar, SWC

Great photo, but I don´t see any ear buds here. ? . 😁

• Haha 2