I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

4 minutes ago, sblitz said:

and some film shots of my granddaughter, portra 160 ... Adam --- she's quick and it's bright out there, rule of 16 means 1/1000 at f/5.6 works great ... these though were slower and indoors .. not going to bore everyone with more than two.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Lovely girl and color Steve 

What film ?

Best H 

15 hours ago, philipus said:

Wow great results with Ektachrome, Phil. I've shot a couple of rolls but never get these colours. Strange, because I used to shoot Ektachrome a lot in the 80s and 90s and never had any problems. I really like the organic and "real" feel that this film gives (when anyone except I uses it :D).

I'm happy you posted this because it shows how important focal length is to conveying a message with an image.

12 hours ago, A miller said:

all are really brilliant, Phil.  Those scenes are just breathtaking and the palette is sublime!

Thank you, sincerely, Philip, Adam and all those who have been kind enough to look at my pictures.

I found that, using Velvia 50 and Ektachrome 100 interchangeably, there was little to tell between them in some circumstances, although at other times they really did display their own idiosyncracies. It will be heresy to some, but I tend to "process" my pictures until I am happy with the result rather than leaving them as straight scans. Central to this is, usually, converting them to LAB color and applying curves adjustments to the A and B channels. So, although this adds nothing that is not really "there" in the scan, it more often than not brings out an enhanced rendition, and this may or not be altogether "true" to the original transparency or negative. My intention is to stop when I am happy with the result, and often even this will change over the course of time so I often revisit the original scan and process it differently. But those transparency films really do punch out some amazing color!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, philipus said:

Continuing our little walkabout in New Rustavi, here is a typical scenery with several Soviet-era housing blocks. What drew me to this place, in addition to the sheer size of it, was the tremendous contrast between the rigid buildings and the many splashes of colour added to the area. Many buildings are painted in bright colours and several have large murals.

Flickr
40/4+PC Mutar Ektar X1

Philip these excellent pictures from what we would have once called Soviet-bloc countries really do make me wonder if there is still a kind of "cold war" attitudinal divide between people there and the West - do you find it so? What I mean is, for example, that immediately I see the picture (above) or the other one you posted from New Rustavi, it looks like an eastern bloc scene - the brutality of the architecture, the kind of disorganization around the buildings (in the second picture). My only experience with the old eastern bloc countries was way back in the 1980s, before the fall of the Berlin wall, when we visited Hungary (which people there called the "USA of the Eastern Bloc") and the former Yugoslavia before the horrible civil war there. It just seemed that those places, fairly mild I'd guess on the Eastern-bloc-o-meter, the mood was a little, although still tangibly, less free - repressed if you like - than across the border in Austria or Italy or wherever. And the towns and cities seemed to be a degree less "loved" than in most Western cities. Is that something you find there now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really nice skateboard photos, Steve, especially the first one.

4 hours ago, sblitz said:

long shadow of skate boarders wash sq park 35mm summicron MA Ilford fp4+

Great Howard. I miss Scotland and regret not having lived there longer than a year (now long ago). There's a particular quality to the light in your photos which I really enjoy.

br

Philip

10 hours ago, }{B said:

Fuji DL Supermini (28mm) & Fuji Sensia

North west Scotland - yours truly on Stac Pollaidh 1999

Salut Henry, this is interesting though a bit sad and somewhat difficult to understand. A bit sad, because he has always provided really insightful lens reviews which have helped me in selecting equipment, and difficult to understand, because why couldn't he just continue admiring and writing about the M system and ignore the rest? Seems illogical to marry himself so closely to the brand that developments with respect to other cameras makes that connection unbearable. I have a feeling that were it not for the developments of the other camera systems the M system would die a commercial death and that would just be sad for all.

4 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Thank you Phil. That LAB conversion is a great trick that I occasionally use too. And it has a magic capacity to cut through haze and fog that is almost difficult to believe until seen. On colourful saturated photos it can add vibrance without making them look unnatural, exactly like shown on your photos.

3 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thank you, sincerely, Philip, Adam and all those who have been kind enough to look at my pictures.

I found that, using Velvia 50 and Ektachrome 100 interchangeably, there was little to tell between them in some circumstances, although at other times they really did display their own idiosyncracies. It will be heresy to some, but I tend to "process" my pictures until I am happy with the result rather than leaving them as straight scans. Central to this is, usually, converting them to LAB color and applying curves adjustments to the A and B channels. So, although this adds nothing that is not really "there" in the scan, it more often than not brings out an enhanced rendition, and this may or not be altogether "true" to the original transparency or negative. My intention is to stop when I am happy with the result, and often even this will change over the course of time so I often revisit the original scan and process it differently. But those transparency films really do punch out some amazing color!

Well this is a question that is as tricky as it is interesting. I had similar feeling visiting in East Berlin in the early 80s and living in Bosnia directly after the war, and I could still sense some of it in Kosovo a few years ago and also in Georgia more recently. Culture always runs deep and is difficult to change so authoritarian roots may well affect how people think and act. That said, there's nothing like freedom to inspire and in particular younger generations these days see the future very differently from how their parents did.

May the wings of liberty never lose a feather, to quote Jack Burton.

3 hours ago, stray cat said:

Philip these excellent pictures from what we would have once called Soviet-bloc countries really do make me wonder if there is still a kind of "cold war" attitudinal divide between people there and the West - do you find it so? What I mean is, for example, that immediately I see the picture (above) or the other one you posted from New Rustavi, it looks like an eastern bloc scene - the brutality of the architecture, the kind of disorganization around the buildings (in the second picture). My only experience with the old eastern bloc countries was way back in the 1980s, before the fall of the Berlin wall, when we visited Hungary (which people there called the "USA of the Eastern Bloc") and the former Yugoslavia before the horrible civil war there. It just seemed that those places, fairly mild I'd guess on the Eastern-bloc-o-meter, the mood was a little, although still tangibly, less free - repressed if you like - than across the border in Austria or Italy or wherever. And the towns and cities seemed to be a degree less "loved" than in most Western cities. Is that something you find there now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This was shot along one of the main avenues through New Rustavi, the Davit Kladiashvili Street.

Flickr
40/4 CFE+PC Mutar Ektar X1
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Harvest

Kiev II, Jupiter 35/2.8, Expired Svema 32

• Like 13

Another of the deity bearers.  [Silvermax 100]

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Barricade III  M-A APO 50mm ADOX Color Implosion & E100, Thambar-M CS  Fuji Natura

• Like 10

Start Again  M-A Thambar-M CS  Fuji Natura

• Like 10

Red esky.   [Agfa Vista 400]

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, A miller said:

wow, I don't know how you do it, but you continue to blow away.  This is so surreal and puts me right there and gives me butterflies in my stomach thinking there isn't enough room on that peak for the both of us 😮

Thanks, it's not as airy as it looks. It was taken by my brother using the Supermini I bought him as a Christmas present. I was busy considering a photo of Cul Mor, the strap of the case for my M2 can just be seen and I didn't know he was taking this shot. A lot of water under the bridge since that day! I'm hoping to get the M2 back from Alan Starkie before Christmas after a service, recovering and his free to air mask for the frame lines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not Again  M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 15

Who could resist?  Clerkenwell, London.

Nikon F6, 35 f2 AFD, XP2s.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6