Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

A few more of my Don Valley offerings... All taken with my Hasselblad 503cx and Zeiss Distagon 50mm f/4 on Kodak Extar 100

R

Am 20.10.2019 um 02:34 schrieb A miller:

Thank you Adam, not only for  the excellent photos, but also for the cultural background. This forum makes me aware  of so many interesting things 

Am 20.10.2019 um 11:25 schrieb stray cat:

bathing box, mount martha 2019

rolleiflex 2.8f, fuji 400x

Stray cat,  very well spotted. I wonder if the painter of the hut just had the ˋstijl´ in him or was an educated  bauhaus boy 😃?

Am 20.10.2019 um 15:36 schrieb mdp:

Another autumn..

ETRSi 75/2.8 Delta 400 in DDX

Very touching, mdp. I hope there will be a lot more autumns for the the good dog..

Am 20.10.2019 um 21:37 schrieb Ernest:

Folding II
M-A Thambar-M CS ND3 f/2.8 Fuji Natura 1600

Rog, as a keen  amateur cook I have to confess that your red and yellow period works, particularly folding and folding II, have the mouthwatering colors of a fresh, homemade berry sorbet... Folding II being my favorite dish..

13 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rog, as a keen  amateur cook I have to confess that your red and yellow period works, particularly folding and folding II, have the mouthwatering colors of a fresh, homemade berry sorbet... Folding II being my favorite dish..

It takes some to avoid all the "food" clichés that my mind starts to catalogue, but you have hit on one of the subconscious triggers of color, I believe. Naturally, David Hume's 18th-century Aesthetics, particularly his essay "Of the Standard of Taste," devoted to art, launches a creative discussion of "beauty and taste." Staying hungry for color.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Ernest:

It takes some to avoid all the "food" clichés that my mind starts to catalogue, but you have hit on one of the subconscious triggers of color, I believe. Naturally, David Hume's 18th-century Aesthetics, particularly his essay "Of the Standard of Taste," devoted to art, launches a creative discussion of "beauty and taste." Staying hungry for color.

😳Sigh, I,ll put the essay on my shortlist. You did it again ..😃

2 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

R

Thank you Adam, not only for  the excellent photos, but also for the cultural background. This forum makes me aware  of so many interesting things 

Stray cat,  very well spotted. I wonder if the painter of the hut just had the ˋstijl´ in him or was an educated  bauhaus boy 😃?

Very touching, mdp. I hope there will be a lot more autumns for the the good dog..

Klaus - thank you very much for these excellent thoughts about the pictures you’ve touched on - they precisely echo my thoughts about them all and are expressed in such a perfect way.

Regarding the bathing boxes, I find it difficult to imagine the denizens sitting out on their deck on a sunny day, mint juleps in hand, discussing the vagaries of neoplasticism, but who knows? 

I went out with my Hasselblad today, with an intention to shoot street scenes. The streets were as they should be: everywhere crowds, cars, noise and chaos. A lot of photographers would enjoy it and even produce some strong pictures. Well, I couldn’t. I realized shooting film with a Hasselblad (or any other MF, I guess) is nothing short of a ritual. I used Tri-X and no light meter. The entire procedure was so pure---I just didn’t feel like spoiling it with snapshots which I would later, over the Photoshop, present as ‘keepers’ to myself.

So, I opted for some composition work. Of course, streets are not quite ideal for compositional shots, let alone any lack of talent for art. I came back home with a couple of images only, but contented.

Perhaps that’s an advantage in film photography: only carefully thought-out and composed photographs are worth being shot!

17 hours ago, Wayne said:

M3, 50 Summicron DR, Agfa Superpan @ ISO 50, long expired

You need to put your sticker on the other side of the post so he can read it.

Pete

1 hour ago, Suede said:

Brittany farm on a wet gloomy day on expired (15 years) Extrafilm 200.

This is extraordinary for expired color film. Any thoughts on the true identity of the Extrafilm 200? I have had pretty good luck with Low ISO B&W film; but my experience with expired color film (over 5 years) has been dismal.

Best,

Wayne

2 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Has been a while again since my last proper visit here - and I found some awesome pictures on the last couple of pages! My own work hasn't brought much progress in the last weeks and I feel a bit strange about my photography at all. It may be the high quality I can see here all the time or some normal autumnal melancholy, but I don't have that much fun with my results as I used to. Maybe I have come to a point where I see my humble attempts to achieve an overall better performance to critical? Does anyone of you know these feelings, too? I click through my archives and pictures I liked very much in the past seem so meaningless or of bad quality now. I wanted to choose some pictures to let a professional print service make some wall decorations for myself, but can't even decide which pictures to use or on what material and how big. Maybe I should stop bothering and go out shoot some more rolls? 

A match up with my autumnal mood:

Minolta Autocord - Velvia

I, and I'm sure everyone here, like your photos so keep them coming.

Now, I'm going to share something with everyone and I hope you'll all embrace him. Nick Carver. I don't subscribe to many YouTube channels (in fact I will have to look to see if I have subscribed to ANY others) but I subscribe to Nick Carver's. I enjoy his sense of humour and his videos are informative. I'm sure I've posted an excellent video of his regarding using Silverfast (I think the title of the video made it sound as though it related only to Epson scanners but it doesn't). In this video we see him photographing a liquor store, and in the second video we see him having it printed large. Set aside some time to watch these, maybe with a glass of whisky when the wife is out, and have a look through his other videos; they're a joy to watch.

Pete