I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Art observers

Leica M3, Summicron 50, Tri-X

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by maron
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Excuse  my ignorance: PMK is the dev, 1:2 the dil, and what is the 100? 

That said:great tonality and a typical Xicara-style picture....very nice. 

Thanks Kl@us. The developer is in two solutions. I'm new to PMK developer but I think this is the standard mix. Some people use different ratios. The solutions are very concentrated, so 1 part solution A, 2 parts solution B and 100 parts water.

• Thanks 1

A local Film Processing Lab is closing down and I kn ow the Technician quite well -- so I told him I was out of C41 developer and he kindly gave me a set A.B and C of Fuji Hunt ' Econoneg Developer Replenisher LR' and some 'Starter' to make the working developer . I carefully measured out the amounts  to make 500 mls as a 'test' and did a C41 process in a Paterson  Tank when the chemicals are really designed for an expensive machine BUT I got good-looking negs ! The real test is how they 'Scan 'and 'Print' -- using my Canon 9000F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer I found they scanned with a slight Cyan bias ans some a bit 'dark' but easily corrected in FastStone.. I already had the C41 Bleach and Fix. 

C41 Test 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

C41 Test 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

C41 Test 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

C41 Test 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Half a negative only -- Sunpak auto 36FD and f1.4

C41 Test 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

CAMERA was my 'Saved From The Dump' YASHICA FR-1 + Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.4 lens, FILM was 2005 outdated 'Tudor 100' ( Fuji' rated 64 ASA as it was 'Old' 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Street art in Grenoble.  [FM3a, Ilford FP4]

• Like 14

Stone. [FP4]

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Am 23.10.2019 um 17:55 schrieb atournas:

I went out with my Hasselblad today, with an intention to shoot street scenes. The streets were as they should be: everywhere crowds, cars, noise and chaos. A lot of photographers would enjoy it and even produce some strong pictures. Well, I couldn’t. I realized shooting film with a Hasselblad (or any other MF, I guess) is nothing short of a ritual. I used Tri-X and no light meter. The entire procedure was so pure---I just didn’t feel like spoiling it with snapshots which I would later, over the Photoshop, present as ‘keepers’ to myself.

So, I opted for some composition work. Of course, streets are not quite ideal for compositional shots, let alone any lack of talent for art. I came back home with a couple of images only, but contented.

Perhaps that’s an advantage in film photography: only carefully thought-out and composed photographs are worth being shot!

I can relate to this-but, if you change your mind-frame, the Hassi is very much suited for street too...as is the Rollei MF and other MFs... 

Am 23.10.2019 um 21:24 schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Has been a while again since my last proper visit here - and I found some awesome pictures on the last couple of pages! My own work hasn't brought much progress in the last weeks and I feel a bit strange about my photography at all. It may be the high quality I can see here all the time or some normal autumnal melancholy, but I don't have that much fun with my results as I used to. Maybe I have come to a point where I see my humble attempts to achieve an overall better performance to critical? Does anyone of you know these feelings, too? I click through my archives and pictures I liked very much in the past seem so meaningless or of bad quality now. I wanted to choose some pictures to let a professional print service make some wall decorations for myself, but can't even decide which pictures to use or on what material and how big. Maybe I should stop bothering and go out shoot some more rolls? 

A match up with my autumnal mood:

Minolta Autocord - Velvia

James, you are doing fine. A bit self-doubt is absolutly normal, as Marc said, and, I would  like to add, neccessary. Your creativity would  dry up otherwise and you ´d end in a boring cycle of repeating yourself....

vor 21 Stunden schrieb benqui:

the last of my Iranian portrait series. M4, Ilford Delta 400, Xtol 1:1

Another 100% portrait.. 

vor 20 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Here is another from the beautiful sunrise in lower Manhattan with @DirkR440 and @MT0227 a couple of Sunday's ago.  This was taken about 20-30 minutes after the last one that I shared.

The purple and yellow palette is a a bit unusual - me thinks it has a festive mardi gras feel 🎉🎷

Thanks again to Marc for scouting out the spot - he is a better researcher than most of the lawyers that I know! 👌

Ektar, Technorama 617siii, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

While the earlier sunrise pictures made at this remarkble photo event are explicitly situated between night and day and all the ambivalence of this time of transition, this picture breathes the optimism of a new day in all it‘s glory. Great and uplifting colors!

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Masking: M-A Thambar-M CS  E100
Forgive the telltale "onion ring bokeh" of the Thambar-M, which I'll probably reshoot. Or?

Rog, as always, your picture is the most difficult to comment on, because it‘s so complex. I like these riddles disguised as simple Color Fields...

When I look long enough at this round thing, it starts looking back at me, and it‘s not a benign look at all.  So I beg you, keep away from this, it might be not good for you and the Thambar... 😳

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Rennrocky:

Leica  I (A) Bj 1930 Kodak Portra 400 Berlin Kreuzberg

Nice photo, Rennrocky. Isn‘t it amazing, that the nearly 90 yrs old body is delivering such a convincing picture?  I think,we should try to do the same😁

btw: what lens did you use?

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Rennrocky:

Berlin U-Bahn Leica I (A) Bj 1930  Kodak Portra 400

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica I (A) Bj 1930 Kodak Portra

• Like 8

11 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thanks for the link to these, Pete. Really inspirational. I didn't know of him but also watched a couple of others. Apart from the two videos mentioned I'd recommend this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0Shj9MzPg for James or anyone else who is feeling a little "lost" about their work, their passion, as he speaks great sense in this. And then go out and shoot some more rolls!

Thanks for that. It was another interesting video. Something to think upon. 

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

Set aside some time to watch these, maybe with a glass of whisky when the wife is out, and have a look through his other videos; they're a joy to watch.

Agreed, I've been subscribed to Nick Carver's channel for a while. He's always interesting and entertaining, and more knowledgeable than most on youtube.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 2

Election day is comming......

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, elmarman said:

A local Film Processing Lab is closing down and I kn ow the Technician quite well -- so I told him I was out of C41 developer and he kindly gave me a set A.B and C of Fuji Hunt ' Econoneg Developer Replenisher LR' and some 'Starter' to make the working developer . I carefully measured out the amounts  to make 500 mls as a 'test' and did a C41 process in a Paterson  Tank when the chemicals are really designed for an expensive machine BUT I got good-looking negs ! The real test is how they 'Scan 'and 'Print' -- using my Canon 9000F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer I found they scanned with a slight Cyan bias ans some a bit 'dark' but easily corrected in FastStone.. I already had the C41 Bleach and Fix. 

CAMERA was my 'Saved From The Dump' YASHICA FR-1 + Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.4 lens, FILM was 2005 outdated 'Tudor 100' ( Fuji' rated 64 ASA as it was 'Old' 

Excellent, Peter!

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

While the earlier sunrise pictures made at this remarkble photo event are explicitly situated between night and day and all the ambivalence of this time of transition, this picture breathes the optimism of a new day in all it‘s glory. Great and uplifting colors!

I appreciate that, Klaus! 

Interval II:  M-A Thambar-M CS  Fuji Natura & E100 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, elmarman said:

Peter the color seems nice but do not forget when you scan with digital camera you still have Bayer filter a disadvantage *  for color 

A scan like Nikon or Epson scan does not have this filter ! 

Best H

... *  like some banding lines in this last picture 

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A.Miller Thanks for your comment 'Excellent' --  only 'Test' photos not really Prizewinners! 

Doc Henry   Thanks for YOUR comment and View as well --  just to say  I used a 'Flatbed ' scanner not a digital camera -- yes i know about the Bayer Filter -- BUT never had a 'banding' occur on my lovely mint  Canon 9000f Mk II  before -- worrying -- maybe glass needs checking'

To Both my Viewers  Promise I will put more LEICA pics  on shortly -- an E6 from M6 waiting to be processed and a T-max 100 in the M2 not finished -- may CUT the film . 

Keep Snapping  !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1