I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Little Man.   [Portra 400]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, stray cat said:

Not sure about taking the meat cleaver to the above discussion, but I'd like to produce some pictures from the last few days that I hope will provide EVIDENCE that all of the above, and more, is true.

Klaus elliptically refers to what John Szarkowski referred to, allegorically, as Mirrors and Windows, the binary concept for an exhibition he staged at MOMA in 1978. His basic premis was that photographers tend towards those whose interest lies in the intensely personal, introspective work or those who frame the world not in a mirror but through a window, telling it like it is.

Of course, Klaus is right - we all, I think, tend to oscillate between the two, depending, I suppose, on a whole lot of things. And pictures, too, can have that same duality to them, and this of course depends on who is doing the viewing and their own state of mind at the time. All of the pictures below could be categorized as both - mirrors and windows, although I'd suggest that, for me, they all say a lot more about the photographer than the world at large. A brief summary of my own thoughts on the pictures are as follows:

Summer Dream by Calin is a remarkable picture because it shows something quite unexpected, ie girls in 19th century dress, assuming what looks like a painterly 19th century mannerism, and it is presented in a quite unexpected way ie where the two girls, who we recognize as the principal subjects, are out-of-focus. So it plays with my mind and stays with me as a very powerful picture.

Inspector's Test by Marc T. is, on the surface, a Window (ha ha) but, looking deeper into it, there is so much more EVIDENCE in the picture that leads me to the conclusion that it is significantly more than that. I made a comment at the time so I won't repeat that, suffice to say this is, for me, an incredible picture - but then I'm inclined to see it that way. It doesn't matter if you're not, of course - we each must diligently defend the sanctity of our own reading.

Anthurium close-up by mdp... well, I did half-jokingly make the Mapplethorpe reference, but the delicious colours, the detail of what is included and what is left out - it doesn't take much imagination, does it, to see this as a highly refined analogy of a sexual nature. Or is that just me? Freud, where are you?

Sparky's Minolta Autocord refuses to just be a picture of a tent and some tree branches. There is such a definite tension in this picture. Brain, wired from a too-long session at Starbucks, is threatening mountains. Or something. What IS it about this picture that kind of unnerves me? But it's far from a straight descriptive picture - if you want it to be. Did James want it to be? Whether he did or not (and I suspect he did) it is there for US to ascribe our own meaning to, based on our own equipment that we bring to the show.

Rog's Skit - well, we could certainly segue to a discussion about titles, but perhaps that's for another day. This is a picture that I'd find difficult to think of as a Window picture, although Rog has framed someone through bars. Someone, ostensibly deep in thought, looking over a lake, is thrust behind bars next to the red for danger color field that we read in the western manner, left to right, before the fire is quenched by a magnificent blue, that perhaps harks back to the lake. It forms a circle and you wonder why. Is there an answer? Well, it's a Skit - a kind of satire, and I think the joke may be on us. Well, OK, on me then.

jona_gold's MP can certainly be viewed as allegorical, metaphorical, a Window, a Mirror - an amazing picture. A young girl stretches upwards on tippy-toes, her arms raised - almost a gesture of supplication but, really! - that's just going too far. Isn't it? The material object of her attention seems to be a bird perched on a window (aha!) ledge - except that we then see that the window has been bricked-in! Talk about mess with your mind! Aaaagh! But, hang on. IS the bird what she's stretching toward? She has no hope of ever reaching it, and the bird seems pretty disinterested in flying down to her, although it COULD perhaps be looking her way. But maybe the girl's interest is not in the bird at all. Maybe it just SEEMS that way... What a glorious picture this is.

So I've rabbited on about these wonderful pictures (there are so many other brilliant pictures to choose from, even in just the last few pages) and haven't addressed ANY of the things Klaus or Rog brought up, and have, amongst other things, condemned myself to probably years on the psychoanalyst's couch (thanks mdp!). Looking at these pictures again a phrase from the many interesting (rhetorical?) questions Rog raises in his  discussion which I quoted above nibbles away at the edge of my brain: what is at risk?

This is an interesting and very inspiring text. I wish I could give something to this thoughtful remarks, but fail in finding the right words. Let me make some remarks about my picture you mentioned, though:

Yes indeed, there are more dimensions in this picture than just a depiction of a tent and some branches. First of all this was a test with the new to me Autocord. From a strictly technical point of view this test went well - the camera took a picture the moment I clicked the button, it is certainly exposed the way I wanted it to be and the lens seems to be properly aligned and able to deliver sharpness all over the field. But what made me think about taking exactly this picture? When I stood in the line to get my wife and me a nice little coffee, I realized by looking at the oh so blue sky, that summer is going away - as the left-over leaves at the branches where brown and dried already. I then realized, that the square format of the camera seemed to fit the straight lines of the tent with a nice framing at the top, made of the branches. The contrasts of light and shapes came into play and and I thought about keeping this fleeting moment and capturing it on my film. When I developed the roll I was pleasantly surprised about the result. As a side product I was amused by the inscription on the tent with its typical mix of english and german words. It made me wonder: Is Caffeine really king? And what is its kingdom? Coffee, as the arrangement of the words might suggest? Or king above men? If any of these thoughts crossed anyone's mind out there, the picture did everything intended by me. Not to forget the concealed message, that I am truly one outstanding person and photographer, having tamed this mysterious medium once more and created a unique piece of art ;)

Just to continue the story, I attach this picture of my wife with the cup of coffee mentioned earlier in this post:

Minolta Autocord - T-Max 100 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Shades of gray

M6, 35 mmCronASPH1, Silvermax, Caffenol

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Ernest said:

Is FM manifesting some Game of Thrones syndrome, getting taller and taller? Taking a snap of the lovelies taking a snap.

ha ha, not at all.  It's just healthy dose of good ol' steroids. 💪

12 hours ago, Suede said:

Taken in April in Australia, thanks to Phil. I forget the name of the rock.   [Portra 400]

This is really beautiful, Pritam.  Congrats.

2 hours ago, benqui said:

Tmax 3200 (with ISO 1600), M6, APO 50

Love it, Marc.  Very innocent expression!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

This is an interesting and very inspiring text. I wish I could give something to this thoughtful remarks, but fail in finding the right words. Let me make some remarks about my picture you mentioned, though:

Yes indeed, there are more dimensions in this picture than just a depiction of a tent and some branches. First of all this was a test with the new to me Autocord. From a strictly technical point of view this test went well - the camera took a picture the moment I clicked the button, it is certainly exposed the way I wanted it to be and the lens seems to be properly aligned and able to deliver sharpness all over the field. But what made me think about taking exactly this picture? When I stood in the line to get my wife and me a nice little coffee, I realized by looking at the oh so blue sky, that summer is going away - as the left-over leaves at the branches where brown and dried already. I then realized, that the square format of the camera seemed to fit the straight lines of the tent with a nice framing at the top, made of the branches. The contrasts of light and shapes came into play and and I thought about keeping this fleeting moment and capturing it on my film. When I developed the roll I was pleasantly surprised about the result. As a side product I was amused by the inscription on the tent with its typical mix of english and german words. It made me wonder: Is Caffeine really king? And what is its kingdom? Coffee, as the arrangement of the words might suggest? Or king above men? If any of these thoughts crossed anyone's mind out there, the picture did everything intended by me. Not to forget the concealed message, that I am truly one outstanding person and photographer, having tamed this mysterious medium once more and created a unique piece of art ;)

Just to continue the story, I attach this picture of my wife with the cup of coffee mentioned earlier in this post:

You know what this picture says to me? That you love your wife and you adore her as well. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Suede said:

Taken in April in Australia, thanks to Phil. I forget the name of the rock.   [Portra 400]

That's a wonderful shot of Pulpit Rock, Pritam. What it can't show is how incredibly windy it was that day! Is this with the 50mm?

Edited by stray cat
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Thank you, James - your description of the thought process that went into making this picture is fascinating. It's not often that one is privy to the machinations of the mind so clearly. And the camera is most certainly and definitely a keeper - as of course is your wife!

• Like 2

Dead tree after sunset..

M2 Ultron 35/2 Asph Ektachrome in Tetenal

• Like 19

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Delta 100, Kodak D-76 1:1.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know there is a Castle Ilford :D 

23 hours ago, Suede said:

Castle [Ilford FP4]

Terrific catch!

16 hours ago, atournas said:

Glorious past unnoticed.

That Autocord has one sharp lens! Wow. 

17 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

🎬  Freeze, hands on your head!

11 hours ago, A miller said:

🕵️‍♂️

IIIg, 28 summaron, Portra 400

• Like 1
  • Haha 2