I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Milepost 60 - Old West, New Stimulants, near De Beque, CO.

Mam6, 50mm, Rodinal 1:50, metered from grass at my feet.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Last for now - have to get back to the darkroom

Milepost 90 - "Over the Rainbow" by Mitch Billis, Rifle CO.

Mam6, 50mm, Rodinal 1:50

• Like 16

Home grown

MP Summicron 50/2 Delta 100 in DDX

• Like 15

Journey to the moon. IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak ProImage 100.

Edited by Xícara de Café
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wonderful results Andy, I like them all, but the one below positively jumps off the screen. Wonderful, truly wonderful.

5 hours ago, adan said:

Milepost 40 - Clearing Storm, Palisade and Grand Mesa

Mam6, 150 Sekor, HC-110B (a story there). Have not processed all my rolls yet, so some gaps for the moment.

Fantastic Xíara, just the kind of negative-space-image I adore.

49 minutes ago, Xícara de Café said:

• Thanks 1

Ghentians

Flickr
203FE 80 Planar Portra 400VC (expired, EI100) X1 Edited by philipus
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, Ernest said:

A foot-stomping "Yes!" to your vertical panos--we need MORE MORE Miller vertical panos, especially NYC.

Thanks, Rog, and I will try to rotate my camera for you here in NYC.  I have the Flatiron on my list but waiting for the scaffolding to be removed.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:58 PM, MT0227 said:

Great stuff my friend.....that little light does come in real handy at times.....love this composition,  many levels to hold your attention top to bottom.

YEs that light is great.  Used it this morning, in fact ;)

On 9/12/2019 at 2:59 AM, Xícara de Café said:

IIIf, Summaron 3.5cm 1:3.5, Kodak ProImage 100.

Very cool and well worth pausing over :)

On 9/12/2019 at 3:06 AM, Kl@usW. said:

You are doing wonders with that Technorama , Adam. 

Wonderful Adam, I love the ripples in the foreground. 

Many thanks, Klaus - really appreciate your contributions on this thread. :)

On 9/12/2019 at 4:36 AM, philipus said:

Terrific, truly terrific Adam. Well done. And those colours wow

Thanks, Philip.  Another Ektar special.  Never really know what you're gonna get :)

23 hours ago, Ernest said:

Double Bubbled
M-A APO 50 E100
Bauhaus homage with steel, stucco, and glass.

Wow, I can just imagine how full resolution prints look with all the different textures of the subjects.  

20 hours ago, AntonioF said:

My Pentax 6x7 does work perfectly, in spite of it was just CLA'ed, so I rarely use it. Not sure why, this last roll came out without the usual defects.

Pentax 6x7, 105/2.4, Trix at 800

20190911-img224_clean by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Spectacular, Antonio!

20 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Here's another from the same roll. This is Craco, a ghost town near Matera. It was abandoned after a mud slide. It has been used as a shooting location for a few movies; in particular they like to remember Mel Gibson's Passion of Christ.

Pentax 6x7, 105/2.4, Trix at 800

20190911-img222_clean by antoniofedele, on Flickr

I was afraid about the results from this roll. First because of the camera, second because I mistakenly rated the film at EI 400 and 800. At the end I decided to push it 1 stop during the development. Trix is very flexible. 

Another great one.  You do very well with MF! 

19 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Rescan of a Silbersalz35 picture on my Coolscan V and post processing with my usual routine in Lightroom. The results are more natural, at least this is what I see and feel. I will rescan all of the pictures and hopefully some of the emulsion failures can be tamed by the ICE function of the scanner. 

Ricoh GR1

Perfect, James.  Absolutely love it.  

11 hours ago, hillavoider said:

ektar 100

Wow, this is AMAZING!  So vibrant and vivid.

10 hours ago, adan said:

Milepost 40 - Clearing Storm, Palisade and Grand Mesa

Mam6, 150 Sekor, HC-110B (a story there). Have not processed all my rolls yet, so some gaps for the moment.

Very lovely set, Adan.  Thanks for taking us with you on your journeys.  This one is my personal favorite.  Any lens filters used?  I like the detail in the foliage of the trees, e.g.

5 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Awesome, simple yet so good

4 hours ago, philipus said:

Ghentians

Flickr
203FE 80 Planar Portra 400VC (expired, EI100) X1

Very good, Philip.  Your finished scans are always so crisp and clean.  👌

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, A miller said:

This one is my personal favorite.  Any lens filters used?  I like the detail in the foliage of the trees, e.g.

I'll share my tech secrets if you share yours. ;)

No, no filter on the lens. Just a lot of traditional darkroom techniques, albeit with Adobe Camera Raw settings (I scan to .DNG files with Vuescan) and Photoshop. Localized and global contrast and exposure adjustments, "Highlights/Shadows" adjustments, and dodging/burning.

This is what the "raw" scan looks like (compare to above - "the negative is the score, the print is the performance"):

And other pre-scan techniques that grew out of my 3-4 weeks of recalibrating sensitometry with the Mamiya. E.G. not using the built-in meter, not using an incident meter, not using "Sunny 16," finding an error that had crept into my HC-110 dilution calculations (somehow I'd got the idea that 1:31 used 15ml concentrate to make 450ml - should total 480ml), going to a lower temperature and longer time with reduced agitation, etc. etc. With those changes, it turns out HC-110B was my preferred developer after all - and I used it for this roll. Finer grain than TMax or Rodinal, bit better acutance than DD-X (and far more efficient for 120 in a Nikor tank - 66 rolls per liter of concentrate vs. 11; 67¢ per roll instead of $2.09).

So anyway, regarding your Manhattan Bridges pano: I assume with a 2:39 exposure you were not in a boat. Proabably taken from Pier 39? Did you need to use any shift to keep the pier out of the frame? Tall tripod?

Edited by adan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, adan said:

I'll share my tech secrets if you share yours. ;)

No, no filter on the lens. Just a lot of traditional darkroom techniques, albeit with Adobe Camera Raw settings (I scan to .DNG files with Vuescan) and Photoshop. Localized and global contrast and exposure adjustments, "Highlights/Shadows" adjustments, and dodging/burning.

This is what the "raw" scan looks like (compare to above - "the negative is the score, the print is the performance"):

And other pre-scan techniques that grew out of my 3-4 weeks of recalibrating sensitometry with the Mamiya. E.G. not using the built-in meter, not using an incident meter, not using "Sunny 16," finding an error that had crept into my HC-110 dilution calculations (somehow I'd got the idea that 1:31 used 15ml concentrate to make 450ml - should total 480ml), going to a lower temperature and longer time with reduced agitation, etc. etc. With those changes, it turns out HC-110B was my preferred developer after all - and I used it for this roll. Finer grain than TMax or Rodinal, bit better acutance than DD-X (and far more efficient for 120 in a Nikor tank - 66 rolls per liter of concentrate vs. 11; 67¢ per roll instead of $2.09).

So anyway, regarding your Manhattan Bridges pano: I assume with a 2:39 exposure you were not in a boat. Proabably taken from Pier 39? Did you need to use any shift to keep the pier out of the frame? Tall tripod?

All very interesting, Adan.  Love the background.  Sorry if it struck you as nosy - I really just was curious regarding the use of a filter.  The native scanned file looks like you nailed the exposure (and dev) and made all the right decisions.  I was back at that exact spot in front of the bridges for the sunrise this morning with some set up except Tmax 100 and an orange filter - I tried to pop the contrast by darkening the sky and popping the earth tones from the buildings and Brooklyn Bridge.  My wife doesn't let me dev at home after I nearly poisoned my son many years ago when he was a toddler (took a sip of something he wasn't supposed to 😱) and so I use one of many good labs here in NYC, which use Xtol  In fact, I just rec'd a message that the negs have been delivered to my doorman - whoop whoop!  $7 on Uber delivery well spent :)

As for your question, I took this from a riverside pedestrian path that just opened up a month or so ago.  Getting the headroom was a challenge and I used every bit of rise that my lens shift adapter (sold separately by Linhof, expensive as hell but don't know what I'd do without it) can give me, which is 14mm, while keeping the camera perfectly level.   Taking into account the center filter, the actual exposure time was 1 minute and the extra time is due to the reciprocity failure, which kicks in quite significantly at about a minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Girl talking into her new virtual smartphone:

Ricoh GR1 - Silbersalz35 250D

• Like 14
  • Haha 5

Narrow street - Rovinj / Croatia

Same setup

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Leica M6 - Canon 1,4/50 LTM or Summicron 2/90 - Ektar100

14 hours ago, adan said:

Milepost 70 - Ranch House and Mount Callahan, near Parachute, CO.

Mam6, 150 Sekor, Rodinal 1:50

These are all excellent. I would happily hang a couple at home. Thanks for posting !

Backroom Talk Gray Squared
M-A APO 50 E100
Bauhaus homage: stuck on stucco.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, A miller said:

All very interesting, Adan.  Love the background.  Sorry if it struck you as nosy...

Not at all. Just joshing. As with any film RF (no ttl viewing), lens filters, or at least gradients and polarizers, are a bit tricky to use on the Mamiya. Can't see what you're doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1