I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, benqui said:

Again, really very strong Adam. You caught the right moment in which he looked right into your camera, but he seemed not to be so amused. 

Off topic: I hope this is his thumb and not his nipple.😉

HA ha, thanks, Marc. And yes, I think that is his finger :)

5 hours ago, bokelley said:

Opher Pass 1991...

Pentax Spotmatic II MD   Kodak TMax 400

Wow, really beautiful series!

3 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Do you find your photographic output improves or not in relation to the cumulative number of photos taken... eg the first 10,000 etc? I'm not sure I'm improving; perhaps I'm stale, or possibly I don't like copying what I've captured previously, hence reducing my options subject wise. Am I alone in thoughts like this?

Steve - You're doing great and your photography is so inspiring.  Nobody is out there shooting keepers at will.  And some of us struggle to shoot keepers ever.  Keep plugging away and listening to your inner self.

• Like 2

vor 8 Minuten schrieb A miller:

Managing the schmootz with the Cinestill 50 - so far so good. 👌

M3, 50 DR cron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful Adam! I am sure, your daughter will love this photo. And we all know, how difficult it is to take a good photo of a family member. But allow me one criticism: next time put away the shoes on the right side. The photo is worth to be perfect

Edited by benqui
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Do you find your photographic output improves or not in relation to the cumulative number of photos taken... eg the first 10,000 etc? I'm not sure I'm improving; perhaps I'm stale, or possibly I don't like copying what I've captured previously, hence reducing my options subject wise. Am I alone in thoughts like this?

One of the famous photographers, I forget who, said something to the effect that "If I knew how to take a great photo, I'd do it all the time". On the other hand, Martin Parr said "If I knew how to take a great photo, I would stop".

We are all different, except that we have within us some urge to create. And I think it is a common thing for creative people to be not so creative at times - this is normal. Simplistically, look at the work of an artist you enjoy - it doesn't matter in what field - and compare their best work to their less-than-best. With most artists, most creatives, it doesn't matter how long they continue to produce work, it doesn't at all necessarily follow that the older they get the better they'll get - often the opposite is true.

Staleness, not wishing to repeat oneself - these are all issues every single creative will deal with pretty much constantly. For some it may become the catalyst for new ideas and inspiration. Perhaps some will just give up and find something else to do. Personally I think that if I happen to find motifs that I'm interested in I find it hard to get whatever it is out of my mind until I'm satisfied that I've really given it a decent shake. Is this repetition? I prefer to think not, rather that sometimes there are differences in approach that can reveal the thing I recognized in the first place but haven't satisfied that I've done it justice.

By the way Steve, I've seen a definite progression in your approach and the quality of your vision and execution over the past couple of years. It has come to the point where a photo is immediately recognizable as yours. This is, of course, a very, very good thing.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

I'm not sure I'm improving; perhaps I'm stale, or possibly I don't like copying what I've captured previously, hence reducing my options subject wise. Am I alone in thoughts like this?

Perhaps repeating others but...

1) Having a reason to take pictures other than simply taking pictures usually restores interest. Playing scales on the piano over and over gets boring; it is far more interesting putting the exact same keys to work in support of a larger goal.

2) Yes, I get into times when I feel like I have "solved" this subject or that lens and it becomes less of a challenge. I go pursue new and different pictures altogether for a while - and then I can return to a previous subject with new knowledge and skills, and fresh interest and ideas.

• Like 7

Conversely

Mamiya 6, 50mm Sekor, Tmax 400 in Tmax dev 1:4. Georgetown Lake, I-70 milepost 230

• Like 19

Hanapepe Deconstructed
M-A Thambar-M CS f/2.8 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 13

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

steph is ready to mow 2012

nikon f90x, af-nikkor 85mm f1.8, agfa ultra 100

A novel outfit for gardening. An interesting gaze of the protagonist; and, I presume, the high heels are meant to scarify the lawn? 😃 I admire your choice of film; the strong colours enhancing the cartoon-like effect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Old rail

M6, 50mm CronV, Silvermax, Caffeenol

• Like 19

Contax T2, Ektar

Edited by B. Lichter
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Silbersalz Film 😞
I was so excited to test the silver salt film and wanted to order it today because i set a reminder in my calendar that their summer holidays are ending this weekend.
But apparently the success has made the Silbersalz team so stressed that they have extended the summer vacation by another 4 weeks.
As i visited the online shop today the following message appeared:
We are taking a summer break... coming back on October 1st.
Or is something happened to the company?
more than 2 month offtime is not so usual…

12 hours ago, A miller said:

Managing the schmootz with the Cinestill 50 - so far so good. 👌

M3, 50 DR cron

12 hours ago, benqui said:

Beautiful Adam! I am sure, your daughter will love this photo. And we all know, how difficult it is to take a good photo of a family member. But allow me one criticism: next time put away the shoes on the right side. The photo is worth to be perfect

I agree with most of the above. The creaminess of the Cinestill 50 harmonizes well with the old Summicron.

However I do think the worn-out loafers testify to a touch of genius. Just as the still-lives of the painters of the past contained a mouse, a beetle or the like, next to the flowers and fruits, as a reminder of mortality, so do the loafers in the picture above remind us of the passage of time, the profanity of everyday taking over from the blessings of a vacation 😬.

• Like 4

Vienna ... portra 400 ... 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Vienna ... portra 400

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1