Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

May be it´s your darkroom that stresses you?
For me, worked as a photolab technican and retoucher in the 80th, i find only working in a quite professional darkroom is fun.
All compromises like darkened bathrooms and family members knocking on the door because they must dry their hair whilst you are tray developing , are very annoying and exhausting.
I am still looking for an affordable room that can be converted to a permanant darkroom. Then printing is much fun for me. No temporary "darkrooms" in bathrooms or cellars without air exchange anymore. …

That will surely be true for other people, but I use a dedicated (communal) darkroom. This is good because no-one needs to dry their hair there, but bad because I have to travel to go there, and make a reservation days in advance...

Yes Film for me, especially when it’s outdated [memories of Agfa Pan 1000} I always purchased the Films in Hackney London in my

Mamiya C330 days. That was when I was thinking about my first Leica, oh how time has changed. I can say more !!!!!! 

Buying an M4 sounds familiar (great camera) but the comparison stops there for me, I'm afraid.

Having seen your site it seems you're a pretty principled individual so I can understand the reason for your position that film requires a fully analogue workflow. 

I'm sure there are master printers out there who are able to "edit" an image in the darkroom in the same way possible with a few clicks of a mouse button on a scanned frame. I certainly don't doubt the pleasure and satisfaction of being able to arrive at the same result using only light and patience (and perhaps you are able to do that) but in my view that is an unnecessarily time-consuming process. And if printing with light will degrade the quality of the image when compared to what could easily be achieved on a scan, then why do it, based on a principle? Surround yourself with human beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles, said Ian Flemming.

I'm not seeking to convince you so, fwiw, for me a hybrid workflow is about being able to enjoy film, and support the film community, while having today's cutting edge tools at my disposal to create the images I want. In my view, to say that film demands a fully analogue workflow is like saying that an image shot digitally shouldn't be printed. Today, there is not, I submit, any link between the way an image was shot and the way it is printed, particularly when modern printing technology can result in virtually the same quality.

All of which means that if one loves film and has the time and the resources to do so, then there's no reason not to do so.
br

Philip

4 hours ago, BAASCH said:

A year or so ago I realised that this is, in fact, the look I was trying to create through my digital workflow (Leica X Vario, Raw Photo Processor, darktable) — except for the subject matter, that is (I shoot tied up girls, mostly, which is why I won't add an image to this thread). I think I sometimes managed to approach this look, but why not go for the real thing? I bought an M4 in very good condition, with a somewhat blurry collapsible 50mm, added a 40mm Summicron-C and a 90mm Elmarit, and began using both digital and film during shoots, and I learned to print in the darkroom. Overall, I am happy with the results, but time, and to a lesser extent cost, is a problem. Who has time to stand in the darkroom all those many hours that it would take? I now shoot 95 percent digital, 5 percent film, and this seems like an acceptable compromise. Only when there is a scene that cries out for film, I'll duplicate it with the M4. Does this sound familiar?

23 hours ago, philipus said:

After a bit of a redesign of my DIY film dryer, here's version 2, fully functional. I'm quite surprised how well it works actually.

philipus.com | Project Film Dryer - ver. 2.0

This seems to be a really decent tool. Did you think about a Kickstarter campaign? I think there could be some demand out there, and if I see what kind of stuff is offered nowadays by hip companies (and sells in no time) this might become a profitable attempt. You would have do take a fancy video, though...

10 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Delta 100, Kodak D-76 1:1.

I like the classic style of this one!

9 hours ago, A miller said:

Ha ha, very funny guys. :)  Speaking of fedoras that don't look like fedoras, I have blown through over 20 rolls here in Israel tattooing my "fedora"-wearing silhouette on people's chests and backs, from the beach to the alleys and markets of Jerusalem, to the camels and floating people at the dead sea.  I picked up the hat at the market in Jerusalem; it was the best 45 shekels (about $13) that I have spent all summer!  Here's one of me from last Friday taken on the beach in Herzliya by an Israeli Leica friend (with his MM).  My IIIg and 28mm summation have hardly come off of my neck 😍

Very nice, Steve.  I do hope that you were wearing a proper bathing suit.

Yes, that's right, John.  During the training course, panamas and other hats are allowed; and you are free to call them "fedoras" if you wish, as most people will know what you mean.

Very nice, Marc.  I hope you are getting warmed up for me.  I have a new spot along the east river that we need to master.

Wow, so many great results with this film.  It looks to have monster latitude.  Just AMAZING!

I'm glad you are slowly beginning to give as some new material from your lazy summer time :) Sad for the lovers of digital leicas, though, as the growing number of contributors to this thread jam up most of the slots in the favorite pictures section of this forum.

Regarding the Silbersalz-Films I can say that the company has a great support. To my question regarding some streaks on many of my pictures they phoned me today and confirmed, that they had a faulty batch. To compensate this they offered me a new pack of four films including development and scanning. I was even allowed to order a different pack, so I will have the opportunity to test the Tungsten-Version of the films now.

9 hours ago, A miller said:

An "in between moment" from Tel Aviv...

IIIg, 28mm summaron, Portra 400

Nice catchy colors in your latest contributions. In this particular picture it would have been nice, if the composition were slightly different to get a full person within the frame between body and elbow.

8 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Tri-X, Pen FT, 70mm f/2

Please don't post any more pictures from the Pen FT, esp. not such extraordinary good ones. Since I bought the (digital) Pen E-P1 I often thought about trying one of the analog predecessors. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb A miller:

An "in between moment" from Tel Aviv...

IIIg, 28mm summaron, Portra 400

Neber been there, but Tel Aviv seems to be a very cool place!

2 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Just another salty and unfortunately streaky sunset:

M4-P - Cron 35 - Silbersalz35 50D

James, nice place and time of day! The streaks of shadows from the clouds give it authenticity. I see it often where I live. I love it.

1 hour ago, MT0227 said:
  • Rollei 35 | 40mm/3.5 Tesser
  • TriX pushed 1 stop in HC-110(B) @ 20c
  • LS-9000

Wheels Up - Jersey City Waterfront

2019-07-28-000014 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

Great framing with the skate board action and the guy entering stage right.

Seeing these Rollei 35 shots (at least one more earlier on) reminds me that I should show my own R35 some love and attention.

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, Kl@usW. said:

... you are right, and I am among  the ignorants.... i only stumbled upon the kafka-cinema connection after reading the book „1913-der Sommer des Jahrhunderts“ (-1913-the summer of the century.)  A very entertaining collection of gossipy bits and pieces,  mainly about cultural and political heavyweights. Kafka among other celebrities. 

Ordered the Zischler and the naxos cd, thank you for  the hint.

K. 

PS. Typing with the iPad-autocorrection  boycotting every single word and trying to change it into something german is an excercise in superhuman patience....so in the next weeks I‘ll be not the most keen writer.  

Thanks so much for the tip on 1913: The Year Before the Storm (Translated). Immediately, I purchased it on Kindle. What a find—author Florian Illies with his wondrous, oblique humor!  It would be no surprise that if he had been the one to rediscover the secrets of perspective from the Romans, our three-dimensional conceit of space in two dimensions most probably would have a smirk to it. What a profound wit to trace the intersection of so many narratives, the simultaneity is mind-boggling. That 1913 was such a fulcrum, Illies certainly deserves applause for his cinematic cutting from one scene to the next, balancing personalities, art, music, literature, and politics, all with detailed research. Rich reading.

Cheers, Rog

Edited by Ernest
me

1 hour ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Great framing with the skate board action and the guy entering stage right.

Seeing these Rollei 35 shots (at least one more earlier on) reminds me that I should show my own R35 some love and attention.

Thanks Steve.....I agree....would defiantly enjoy seeing some more of your Rollei shots.   

On 8/5/2019 at 2:22 PM, Sparkassenkunde said:

Before this thread gets too salty from my latest contributions I strew in some regular pictures made with well known emulsions. Here comes just a field, seen in Croatia. I love the way the evening sun lights the field:

M4-P - Cron 35 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Glad I went back to see what I may have missed....this is a lovely frame....the colors....everything.