Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cinestill 50..... I am really unsure about this film, the 800 version is much better I think, also Velvia and Ektar are just so much better again 

MP 50apo

Edited by hillavoider

5 hours ago, philipus said:

There are seemingly always people demonstrating for and against all sorts of things at the Dam square in central Amsterdam. Not sure exactly what these ones would be called but Nostalgobolsheviks perhaps?

Flickr
40 CFE Ektar X1

Out of curiousity - what is "Ektar X1?"

I see that in online ads...but it seems to just mean buying 1 roll from a 5-roll box? Or is that a special EU film type?

"Arise, ye prisoners of starvation!" ;)

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Great Rog-browsing through your Wunderkammer has been successful again.... 

But, IMHO: as reading from left to right is a cultural choice ---here  I would like to feel free to read and experience  this from right to left--a much more pleasurable story. (I wonder if anyone tried to  read "Die Verwandlung" from the end... it  changes Everything ! )

Totally notorious--read Die Verwandlung from the end! Now, you are a film editor, too! The blossoming of the family, especially Greta, fast on the death of poor Gregor, discarded as so much foul debris by the charwoman. One problem, though it didn't get in the narrative way of Sunset Boulevard, recounting the drama from the dead screenwriter's POV--with Gregor dead, his POV narrative is problematic. Never mind. So let's do something like a Raymond Chandler and open with Gregor's demise and continue with Greta and her unstated good prospects for finding a man. This, then, underscores the irony of the health and well-being of the family becoming more vital as Gregor declines and dies. Flash back to the beginning, now. The complexity of this duality is emphasized even from the very beginning when simultaneously Gregor provides the point of view, which alternates with the objective point of view watching and reporting on Gregor himself. In other words, the subjective alternates with the objective. It is notable that the window through which Gregor views the outside world only affords him a blurred vision--Philip is watching this--obscured by rain, a signpost that surrealism and realism are likewise blurred. Much to be ventured in Carolin Duttlinger's Kafka and Photography (Oxford P.) A daring enterprise, reading Die Verwandlung in reverse, two steps back, then one forward, thinking of Memento? Maybe we gear up The Penal Colony with tattoos?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Andy, it's just the scanner I use most of the time (I have um a few :rolleyes:)

br

Philip

5 hours ago, adan said:

Out of curiousity - what is "Ektar X1?"

I see that in online ads...but it seems to just mean buying 1 roll from a 5-roll box? Or is that a special EU film type?

"Arise, ye prisoners of starvation!" ;)

Wow Antonio. That is a sharp lens. I wish I could cure my A1 of that darn shutter or is it mirror squeak. It's such a fun camera to shoot but mine sounds like pressing a rubber duck when it fires.

14 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Ceglie Messapica

Canon A1, 50/2 FD, HP5@1600

20190731-DSC03294 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Really nice James. That merge went very well. Approx how much do you overlap the frames when shooting?

14 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Here comes another attempt in merging some picture to form a panoramic impression. You see the small town Motovun in Istria / Croatia. This picture consists of three exposures, merged in Lightroom:

M4-P - Cron 35 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Lovely shot and framing. As much as I really liked the tiny and somehow "crystalline" grain of Cinestill 50 I just couldn't accept the crud that always was on the frames. 

7 hours ago, hillavoider said:

Cinestill 50..... I am really unsure about this film, the 800 version is much better I think, also Velvia and Ektar are just so much better again 

MP 50apo

Really beautiful Christoph. C'est l'amour (I think).

2 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Some B&W from end of last year. Autumn mood in Strasbourg.

M3, 50, Foma400

Posted (edited)
  • Voigtlander Bessa III 667W
  • HP5+ pushed 1 stop in HC-110(B)@ 20c
  • Nikon LS-9000

I have to say, this was my first roll of HP5+ that I've ever shot (I'm a TriX guy).  I've read posts and articles about some who have made the switch (Trix -> HP5+) and have stayed with it; I just can't see how.  After pushing 1 stop, there's just too much grain (negative looked  little under exposed) and not enough contrast in the middle tones for me...so back to TriX I go.

Looking East - NYC

2019-07-30-0010 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

Edited by MT0227

7 hours ago, philipus said:

Wow Antonio. That is a sharp lens. I wish I could cure my A1 of that darn shutter or is it mirror squeak. It's such a fun camera to shoot but mine sounds like pressing a rubber duck when it fires.

You know, I think the the 50/2 FD is considered a cheap lens, but I bought it for 30 euros and it performs wonderfully.

As far as the squeak, my A1 used to have too. It's a camera that I got for free from my in-laws. Actually the mirror used to get stuck too. Then I found some info online on how to fix it with some sewing machine lubricant (the famous Singer lube bottle). Of course, it didn't work, but I tried another approach, which was "not suggested": spraying some WD-40 inside the mirror gear box. It worked great! I'm not sure if the noise is back to baseline, but the camera works perfectly. In the end, it was a dead camera, why not trying???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XarY-Hk12wg

8 hours ago, philipus said:

Really nice James. That merge went very well. Approx how much do you overlap the frames when shooting?

I think it is about 1/5 to 1/4 of each frame. I try to find a marker in each frame on which I adjust my eye to keep track of the area I want to have in the next frame. There should be some helpful tools for this kind of photography, esp. on a tripod, but as I am a lazy guy I usually leave my tripod at home, except I am going out to do some night photography. 

2 minutes ago, MT0227 said:
  • Voigtlander Bessa III 667W
  • HP5+ pushed 1 stop in HC-110(B)@ 20c
  • Nikon LS-9000

Empire State - 34th Street NYC

2019-07-30-0003 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

Hi Marc, I can understand your concerns about HP5 in regards of the cable guy picture, but I think you have mastered this emulsion in the Empire shot perfectly. Nice tonality, little grain and I really like your composition with this UPS truck.