I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, philipus said:

This has had me going back a few times over the past two days Pritam, it's incredible how (and I loathe the word really) 3D it looks. Life-like is better, I suppose. Truly delightful. Where was it shot?

Thanks, Philip, for your comments. Much appreciated.

It's a friend's place, an hour's (purposeful) walk from mine here in Haute-Savoie. She's a potter and the bowls in the pic are her own handiwork. It is a quiet corner of the world, really quite wonderful, salubrious, bucolic, what have you. I am adding another photo taken in the same indoor light. It is one of my favoured places in the vicinity; quaint with olde worlde charm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

Chipping away, sliver by sliver – a Titanic job. Unusual to see someone doing it the hard way in this day and age.  [Agfa Vista 400]

• Like 16

3 hours ago, philipus said:

I forgot to mention this one earlier. I really like it. I've also dabbled in film "astrophotography" and know how tricky it is to get anything useful. I actually prefer this framing rather than having Polaris as the centre of the wheel. Framed this way, the image takes on an abstract quality it would otherwise lack and lends itself to other and perhaps more interesting interpretations. Just my thoughts of course, dehydrated after a run, but there you have it. You've inspired me to shoot more in the darkness so thanks for that too.

Thinking about your comment I come to the conclusion that it might indeed be better to have not included Polaris. Although I will not be able to do astrophotography in the next time I am curious about how to prevent the lens from fogging. One solution would be to wait for winter, when the air is dry. The other option would be to start even later. I began my exposure after 11 pm and ended around 1 am. I assume the differences in temperature could be less if beginning even later...

Anyway, here comes a more common exposure. The Bastei Bridge in Saxon Switzerland:

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, Suede said:

Chipping away, sliver by sliver – a Titanic job. Unusual to see someone doing it the hard way in this day and age.  [Agfa Vista 400]

Hello Suede,

Nice photo.

What is this person making?

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Thinking about your comment I come to the conclusion that it might indeed be better to have not included Polaris. Although I will not be able to do astrophotography in the next time I am curious about how to prevent the lens from fogging. One solution would be to wait for winter, when the air is dry. The other option would be to start even later. I began my exposure after 11 pm and ended around 1 am. I assume the differences in temperature could be less if beginning even later...

Anyway, here comes a more common exposure. The Bastei Bridge in Saxon Switzerland:

Hello James,

Both this & your "almost" Polaris are nice photos.

Were you inside somewhere that was air conditioned before going out to take the "almost" picture of Polaris?

Because if the lens was cooled down that would create a cooler surface for moisture in the air to collect on outside while you were taking the photo. Perhaps if you would put the camera in a closed plastic bag before taking it out of the air conditioning & then let the camera warm to the outside temperature before taking it out of the bag: That might work better.

Also, could you tell us something about the history & purpose of the bridge from Saxon Switzerland that seems to have  a certain similarity to a bridge not quite over the Rhone at a place not far from where the Durance comes into the Rhone?

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Suede,

Nice photo.

What is this person making?

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you, Michael.

Someone up here in the hamlet needed a wood-fired kiln to bake pottery and three young fellows volunteered to do the structure to house it the old-fashioned way. Quentin, who you saw chipping away in the photo, is the principal driver behind the project. I'll take a thousand words out of further explaining and post a picture or two instead to show what the project looked like a few weeks later...

A small group of onlookers gathered to watch the fascinating action...while I was up to my own Tri-X.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Here is another . [Tri-X]

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello James,

Both this & your "almost" Polaris are nice photos.

Were you inside somewhere that was air conditioned before going out to take the "almost" picture of Polaris?

Because if the lens was cooled down that would create a cooler surface for moisture in the air to collect on outside while you were taking the photo. Perhaps if you would put the camera in a closed plastic bag before taking it out of the air conditioning & then let the camera warm to the outside temperature before taking it out of the bag: That might work better.

Also, could you tell us something about the history & purpose of the bridge from Saxon Switzerland that seems to have  a certain similarity to a bridge not quite over the Rhone at a place not far from where the Durance comes into the Rhone?

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you for your feedback and insightful advice. The camera was in warmer conditions prior to shooting and I think it cooled down only after the exposure started. It wasn't fogged then but only when I came back from my digital side step with my Leica X-Vario (will someone take my confession?)

Regarding the Bastei Bridge I had to look up on Wikipedia to learn that the bridge was built as a wooden construction after 1826 and for touristic purposes only. The pictured limestone replacement was built in 1851 to keep pace with the steadily increasing numbers of visitors. In medieval times Neurathen Rock Castle was located on these rocks. In the 1980s archeological research brought back the remnants of this settlement, which contained some buildings, a cistern and weapons, esp. catapults.

Here is another view on the bridge:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Michael Geschlecht:

Michael, physics work differently here: air warms as the sun shines--air takes up water- relative humidity is say 60% . As the sun goes down, the temperature of air sinks and the relative humidity rises  ... ( not the absolute humidity !! )  until it reaches the point Tau (greek tau ) rel. humidity then equals 100 % -- which leads to condensation--on your lens, on the gras , or butterfly  or your tent.  You can only avoid the condensation on the lens by warming the camera....or only taking photos when air is dry.. 

nice picture anyway-fog or not .   K. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Rivet 7
M-A Thambar-M & Summilux-M 50 BC  ADOX Color Implosion & Rollei Redbird

a visual fanfare-- with the last note slightly off.. great ! 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Steve Ricoh:

Tri-X EI400, Olympus Pen FT, 90mm f/2

blinded by the light--shining through the flapping cloth.. enigmatic and intriguing  composition 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1

Also from Bale / Croatia:

• Like 19

The streets of Santo Domingo. Mamiya 625 / 45mm / Ektar ( unfortunatly developer got somehow contaminated and all pictures have yellow stain areas )

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

and more same combo

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Playing with a Canon Prima  AS-1 and Provia 100

au Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

Canon Prima  AS-1 and Provia 100

Currents Crossover
M-A APO 50 Portra 400 & E100

• Like 19