I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Publication NEWSFLASH

I recommend the newly released publication of Robert Rauschenberg: Rauschenberg in China. Unusual tri-book binding with the first publication of Rauschenberg's 1/4 Mile Furlong, as well as 35mm and 2-1/4 (Hasselblad) photographs Rauschenberg shot in China--looking at China through Rauschenberg's eyes! I anticipate this book will be available only on the secondary market at very high prices. As I have mentioned before, Rauschenberg studied at Black Mountain College under Josef Albers. The preponderance of Rauschenberg's work starts with either his own photography or images culled from media. One interesting example is his Dante's Inferno work--thirty-four illustrations he spent two-and-a-half years developing with a unique solvent transfer process he developed. Life magazine also published a unique fold-out of another version of his Dante's Inferno in 1965, which illustrates his use of contemporary media imagery to define his visual interpretation of Inferno.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01973762.2016.1130937

https://www.rauschenbergfoundation.org/art/lightboxes/transfer-drawings

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/review/the-hell-of-modern-media-on-robert-rauschenbergs-dante-series

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, philipus said:

This was shot from one of the walkways up to the Narikala fortress. The Tbilisi Central Mosque is in the foreground and the Tabor Monastery on the hilltop.

Flickr
40 Distagon CFE+1.4x P.C. Mutar Ektar X1

This is a really nice shot. Do you happen to remember the exposure time? I tried some long exposures while on vacation lately, unfortunately I have to wait for some days more to get my films back from the lab. So far I only got one roll developed, it seems C41 is the easiest job for the lab. 

Meanwhile you may guess where we made a stopover on our way back home :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M4-P - Cron 35 - Portra 160 - 4 exp. merged in Lightroom

• Like 11

Heading for sanctuary

MP, 50 Noctilux f1, XP2s

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An Angel:

M4-P - Cron 35 - Portra 160

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Limestone

Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Kodak Ektar 100

20190713-DSC03182 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 15

Am 19.7.2019 um 23:03 schrieb leitna:

very good as always but the skin is in my oppinion too grey ... i miss white 😉

thanks a lot for your advise! I have to check the original. Do not know whether it is the effect of the light coming from the right side.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, James. Hmm, good question. I normally don't remember details like that. I'm happy if I can remember which lens I used, age no doubt :rolleyes: This was from my first visit in October last year and I was pretty much shooting hit or miss in terms of exposure for the night-time shots, bracketing etc. The mosque's bright tower and facade lighting was the main challenge. I seem to remember experimenting with between 1 to 6 seconds and think this may have been at 1 or 2 secs.

15 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

This is a really nice shot. Do you happen to remember the exposure time? I tried some long exposures while on vacation lately, unfortunately I have to wait for some days more to get my films back from the lab. So far I only got one roll developed, it seems C41 is the easiest job for the lab. 

Meanwhile you may guess where we made a stopover on our way back home :)

M4-P - Cron 35 - Portra 160 - 4 exp. merged in Lightroom

Wow what colours! Is this part of a quarry? I notice the filename - do you merge several images when you digitise 120 film?

2 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Limestone

Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Kodak Ektar 100

20190713-DSC03182 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Thanks 2

Here's a closer look at the mosque.

Flickr
40/4 CFE P.C. Mutar 1.4x Ektar X1
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, philipus said:

Wow what colours! Is this part of a quarry? I notice the filename - do you merge several images when you digitise 120 film?

Yes, it is part of an old limestone quarry. They're quite common here. In particular this place is now a park with an open air theater for events and concerts.

The scan is a single image from a Sony a5100 and a Nikkor 55/3.5 micro. I've tried merging more images in the past but the resulting file size is huge. It is also true that with medium format it is not possible to saturate the 24 mpx of the sensor because of the aspect ratio, but 645 is quite similar to 3:2, so the resulting mage is not too bad and it is around 19 mpx. I would probably merge images in case of 6x6 or 6x7.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, Steve Ricoh said:

UltraMax, Pentax MX, 85mm f/2

Superb. 

Can’t decide if I would prefer the lamp post vertical or not - on reflection I think you’ve nailed it as is! Well done  

• Thanks 1

Albers Color Field Study
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Happy Bauhaus 100th Birthday! Johannes Itten & Josef Albers

• Like 14

Lovely Keith. And the Fox inn is, unexpectedly, dog friendly too :)

4 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

The Fox Inn, Castle Corfe village.  M7, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, Acros100, Rodinal.

Thank you very much, Antonio. This is one of the reasons I've so far stayed away from digitising though I realise that it might be the future of film scanning. It definitely seems that 55 Nikkor is as good as I have read it's supposed to be. Very sharp indeed across the field.

4 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Yes, it is part of an old limestone quarry. They're quite common here. In particular this place is now a park with an open air theater for events and concerts.

The scan is a single image from a Sony a5100 and a Nikkor 55/3.5 micro. I've tried merging more images in the past but the resulting file size is huge. It is also true that with medium format it is not possible to saturate the 24 mpx of the sensor because of the aspect ratio, but 645 is quite similar to 3:2, so the resulting mage is not too bad and it is around 19 mpx. I would probably merge images in case of 6x6 or 6x7.

Such a terrific combo, Rog. Homage to the square meets Victory Boogie Woogie meet Happy Island!

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Albers Color Field Study
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Happy Bauhaus 100th Birthday! Johannes Itten & Josef Albers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1