I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Just time for another shot...  M7, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, Acros 100, Rodinal.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

First attempt at developing colour film, seams ok I think.

Sunset

MP Summarit 90/2.4 Ektachrome E100

• Like 18

Niagara Falls NY - June 2019

Portra 400 - 35 Summicron - M6

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello SunnySixteen,

If you look on the side of the film cartridge there might be 2 sets of of little boxes. 1 set over the other.

Holding the little "nubbin" at the end of the film cartridge to the left please tell me the color of the boxes. First the top row then the bottom row.

Example: "Silver/White" or "Black".

I might be able to tell you something.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks for the follow up Michael, I'll have to get back to you, film is en route from B&H ...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sunshine, Shade & Seat. Leica M7, 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, Tri-X, Rodinal.

• Like 18

vor 22 Stunden schrieb SunnySixteen:

Lovely. When you say 'with iso 1600 ' do mean you are pulling one stop, or metering for 1600 and processing at box speed? I ask because I am about to shoot a number of delta 3200 rolls and some quick online research suggests metering @1600 and process normal. Just trying to guage how to proceed with my work, thanks!!

Thank you very much! Sorry for the misunderstanding. It just means that my metering as well as my b/w processing is with 1600. I know that this works perfect with the Tmax 3200 but I do not know the results with the Delta 3200. I am very curious, please let us see the results.

Edited by benqui

vor 4 Stunden schrieb SunnySixteen:

Niagara Falls NY - June 2019

Portra 400 - 35 Summicron - M6

Thanks a lot for these photos. I will be there in August and did not know whether I take my Mono I or my M4 with a Portra with me. So my decision is for sure the Portra 400 and 35mm!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, philipus said:

Thank you Rog, it''s very interesting to read your thoughts behind this montage. My impression was a bit more perhaps biblical and possibly sinister, the letters like a twisted up-side-down cross, particularly if one imagines them overlaid on each other, the skull as a symbol of death and what was, with the two wonderful reds - on my screen here in the office more scarlet and crimson - being respectively courageous and God-like ripping across the otherwise monochromatic landscape. It reminded me of that old adage "think about death", which is said in certain circles and which I prefer to memento mori because focus is not so much on mortality itself but on what death, as an aspect of life, may give the living. The blur adds that final touch, the gateway that hints at the hereafter and our inability to know what if anything lies beyond.

Very thought provoking reading! Very cool. You have a facility for bumping the turnstile opening several into paths leading to still more turnstiles. It gets so labyrinthine, or I should say layered, since layers of color fields can allude to layers of meaning, even in an abstract sense of having no apparent meaning. Here, I am citing Malevich's notion of a construction of "objectlessness," such as Malevich's "Black Square" (1915) I've mentioned earlier. So, in "Dark Slide," I assembled seven images, some of which are not strictly color fields but identifiable objects: the skull, tree shadows, and print type. And then, there's the illusion of transparency. It's an illusion, and it speaks to what the photo-construction is not as much as what it is. The notion that photographs are as much about what we don't see, perhaps even more so. This was one of the motivating ideas for me in this piece, as well: to coax a dark slide into bearing testimony. The path opened by one of your turnstiles is ascribing value, interpretation, to the actual images, translating a narrative, so to speak, making meaning from the context of the images.  It's notable that "Dark Slide" and my other photo-constructs are very much 17th-century still lifes with a flash forward to 20th-century color fields. Significant, though, is that "the language of a photograph is the language of events," as John Berger says. The question now is what is the event in "Dark Slide"? Come back to your erudite reading that connects the elements (images plus color!) into a meaningful narrative. Vanitas still lifes of Dutch paintings in the 16th and 17th century underscored man's mortal nature and the skull was a common motif. If we go back to Alciati Emblemata of the early 16th century, we see the beginning of iconic images married to text ascribing meaning. I appreciate your significant reading of the two red colors in "Dark Slide" and your memento mori--but life and death of the photograph in a fraction of a second was as far as I got, intuitively. Just love the way your analytical mind puts it all together and has my turnstiles spinning. Thanks so much.

Cheers,
Rog

• Thanks 2

Four Square
M-A APO 50  ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 17

Not from the set of 'Chernobyl'.....but from my military days. The Defence fire training school at Manston, Kent.

M7, 35 Summicron Asph, Kodachrome 25.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Via del Mare, Brindisi

Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Kodak Ektar 100

20190713-DSC03190 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 15

The local watch-and-fishing-rod-seller with a blue hat.

Flickr
Same as earlier Edited by philipus
  • Like 17

I suspect the two towards the right are brothers. 

Flickr
  • Like 12

A little intermission, now dipping into the centre of Tbilisi. This is the Museum of Fine Arts on the Shota Rustaveli Avenue.

Flickr

And if you turn 180 degrees you have the parliament of Georgia, which recently saw bloody clashes with the police as thousands of angry Georgians stormed the building in protest against Russia following the visit to the parliament of a Russian MP.

Flickr

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1