I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, A miller said:

really lovely.  I have never heard of that lens.  You like it?

Makes me smile.  Is that the owner of the castle out with his lad?

really great cool color palette.  Love it!

An aqua explosion!! Great!

You are on an originality roll, Steve.  Love the film choices lately 👌

very funny 😭

all very nice, Mike, but this is my favorite of the set.  Love the scene and the repetition of the trunks.

Thank you Adam.

I somehow ge the feeling my old lady doesn't want to be my model anymore...............or as she says 123 Bluuuuuuur Hassy 503CW Etkar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

}{B

9 hours ago, }{B said:

Loch Coulin Torridon Scotland - Highland cow resting in the shade

Leica 111f & 50mm Summar - Kodak Ektar

It was much darker in the shade than in the open sunlight. As I was guessing the exposure I didn't think that this would amount to much given that I was using Ektar. It was a nice surprise when I saw the result.

Beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, philipus said:

This is great. It looks like an old vintage photo. How do you achieve this with Tri-X in D76?

Hello Philip,

Standard D76 (1+1) 6 mins with agitation for 5-6 seconds every 30 seconds.  Just rinsed my film with tap water between D76 and NH-5.

I had used the following settings in Silverfast 8 (scanned software):

- Scan Mode = Transparency

-  Image Type = Negative

- Color Depth = 48->24bit

Then, I had played around with settings in Histogram dialog and Gradation dialog.

After scanning, I had increased the temperature in Lightroom 5.

Honestly, I am still learning my way in this wonderful medium.

• Thanks 1

Tri-x 400 D76 (1+1) 6 mins, M5 + Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are a few ways to do it. From merging bracketed shots in Photoshop, to scanning the same image at different exposures and then merging them, to processing a few versions of a scan and then merging in Photoshop. 

19 hours ago, A miller said:

Thanks, Philip.   you've successfully merged film scans into an HDR?  I didn't know that was possible!   

This has a lovely painterly pastoral feeling and a perfect palette. Very nice indeed.

15 hours ago, }{B said:

Loch Coulin Torridon Scotland - Highland cow resting in the shade

Leica 111f & 50mm Summar - Kodak Ektar

It was much darker in the shade than in the open sunlight. As I was guessing the exposure I didn't think that this would amount to much given that I was using Ektar. It was a nice surprise when I saw the result.

Thank you for setting out your process. I've learnt something new today and it's still only morning.

3 hours ago, blueskyoveraquatic said:

Hello Philip,

Standard D76 (1+1) 6 mins with agitation for 5-6 seconds every 30 seconds.  Just rinsed my film with tap water between D76 and NH-5.

I had used the following settings in Silverfast 8 (scanned software):

- Scan Mode = Transparency

-  Image Type = Negative

- Color Depth = 48->24bit

Then, I had played around with settings in Histogram dialog and Gradation dialog.

After scanning, I had increased the temperature in Lightroom 5.

Honestly, I am still learning my way in this wonderful medium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Jeffry Abt:

}{B

Beautiful!

Nice motiv and the colors and gradation reminds me a bit of the more than 100 years old pictures taken with the 3-colour Miethe camera in russia before the revolution.
https://www.pinterest.de/marina2327/russia-in-color-before-1917/

Edited by verwackelt
  • Thanks 1

Flickr
50/1.8 AI-S Portra 400 X1
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

William, cutting the grass... MP Summarit 90/2.4 (nice compact lens) Delta 100

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, A miller said:

really lovely.  I have never heard of that lens.  You like it?

I do enjoy this lens, yes. It is well built, fairly compact, and renders very much like a cross between a rigid Summicron and a collapsible Summicron (it is a copy of the Summicron in design). Very sharp stopped down to f4, and more dreamy at the edges at open apertures. It can, shot wide open, yield a very 3-D image in the right circumstances. Konishiroku became Konica eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There happened a lot in this thread since my last real visit. I occasionally had a short glimpse, but only on my phone, so couldn't enjoy the pictures that much. Meanwhile I had a first test with my newly acquired Welta Belfoca II 6x9 folder with a Bonotar 105mm f 4.5 lens. Man, these negatives are BIG. Focusing is a bit tricky, as it only has a meter scale and no focusing help. But two out of eight exposures are in focus, so I have my proof of concept. I will take this old lady to our next vacation to Croatia and see what I can achieve :) Here is one of the shots:

Welta Belfoca II - Cinestill 800T

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Tree and man. IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Christoph. Yes indeed :)

7 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Wonderful colours! Tblisi?

Wow that is quite a result and those colours, amazing. I would never have guessed Cinestill 800.

3 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

There happened a lot in this thread since my last real visit. I occasionally had a short glimpse, but only on my phone, so couldn't enjoy the pictures that much. Meanwhile I had a first test with my newly acquired Welta Belfoca II 6x9 folder with a Bonotar 105mm f 4.5 lens. Man, these negatives are BIG. Focusing is a bit tricky, as it only has a meter scale and no focusing help. But two out of eight exposures are in focus, so I have my proof of concept. I will take this old lady to our next vacation to Croatia and see what I can achieve :) Here is one of the shots:

Welta Belfoca II - Cinestill 800T

• Thanks 1

Am 15.6.2019 um 08:08 schrieb Ernest:

Double Gray
M-A APO 50 E100

intriguing Rog, induces some horizontal nystagmus on me again... 

Am 15.6.2019 um 08:58 schrieb blueskyoveraquatic:

Tri-x 400 D76 (1+1) 6 mins, M5 + Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2

You are developing a style of your own , blueskies. That's more than  some of us achieve in their photografic lifetime.... btw: do you scan your bw´s in color mode ? Just for interest. 

Am 16.6.2019 um 00:10 schrieb Ernest:

Well, Klaus—there you go, again. Asking the simple question that is so complex it drives us crazy.

"Why do people make cliché photographs?  What needs do these clichés satisfy?"

Far more qualified minds than mine can begin to speculate on the motivation of people to make cliché photographs. Then, again, who is to corral what is cliché and what isn't. Is William Eggleston's tricycle shot or Ansel Adams's waterfall shot to be dismissed as mere clichés? I remember the advice that there are innumerable subjects that may be potentially cliché, but the ever inventive artist has the opportunity to see or state those subjects from a unique perspective. So, the artist is always on the lookout for what I will call the "unique cliché." Talk about oxymorons? How to make the boring interesting and fresh. The adage in advertising is that you cannot afford to be boring. The O.E.D. definition of cliché hinges on an overused idea or phrase that is stale or uninteresting—hardly unique. So why doesn’t the cliché get any respect instead of only notoriety? Perhaps the time has come to sit up in our theater seats and clap for the ubiquitous cliché. Hooray, hooray. One can hardly side step the Shakespearean duel when the protagonist lunges with his epee , striking his opponent, “Ah, ha! Cliché!“

So, what needs do these (photographs of) clichés satisfy? Again, perhaps sociologists, pscychiatrists,  and Jungian analysts can offer their informed perspective, but I remember what Maximillian Schell said at a screening of his 1968 film of Kafka's The Castle. The film ends abruptly, since Kafka died before finishing the novel. I had the temerity to ask from the audience what Schell had been thinking in terms of the ending that doesn't end--what was the spark that prompted him to direct this film. He answered, "To keep away from death."

Here is another edited version of the "No Go Water Hazard" composition.

The view of the trees being reflected in the lagoon calls up simultaneously the two notions of art being either the view through a window or a reflection as in a mirror— in this case, both, simultaneously. The composition on the right does two things in it reflection and refraction of an ambiguous view. It is vision, blurred and frustrated from any sense of focus. This was an opportunity to audition the Thambar  and capitalize on its glowing characteristics. I removed the lagoon trees, altogether, and emphasized the caution zone stripes, a blatant statement that this is a construction zone.

No Go Windows
M-A Thambar-M & APO 50  ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Ha, that's a very and satisfying answer and a concept that pleases me: the "unique cliché " -- It accepts my inclination to the trivial but  leaves me with the possibility that I just created something unique anyway. Could I wish for more ? No.  And about the Shakespearian protagonist: I´ll adopt one to sit-invisibly- on my shoulder. Next time it lusts me for cliché, he´ll ( she?)  hop down and care for it.... 😁

Am 16.6.2019 um 03:28 schrieb Ramesh:

Brought my MF film camera along for the French Open in 2018. Here is what I got...

Hasselblad 501CM, 80MM Planar, Kodak Tri-X

Regards,

Ramesh

now that's cute, attending the French Open with a Hassi and an 80mm lens! Great !   Didn't the umpire give you the eye for sound of the mirror going up and down ? 

Am 16.6.2019 um 08:20 schrieb Suede:

Quiet corner... [Portra 400]

Suede, you got an eye for the poetry in the ordinary. Well done. 

Am 16.6.2019 um 11:44 schrieb jcraf:

'Cafe Moskau'. Karl Marx Allee, former East Berlin, 2005.

MP, 35 Summicron Asph, BW400CN.

In 1967 my class travelled to Berlin, then an "island of freedom" in the "communist sea". This trips were  funded by the West Berlin senate which was  funded by West G. and actually free. As West Germans we were allowed, unlike West Berlinians, to travel to East Berlin for just one Day ( "Tages-Visum") I did so, walked about and ended hungry in one of these cafés-- maybe it was this. The tristesse of the place was overwhelming, I can still feel it like a coldness in my bones. I remember that the waiter, asked what from the menu he could recommend, said: Nothing.

The drizzle in your picture shows it perfectly, add some really cold wind, preferably from the east. 

Am 16.6.2019 um 16:46 schrieb A miller:

This is one of my favorite scenes in the world.  It's by no means the first time that I've shot it.  And won't be the last.  But it's one (from my last trip) that I'll nevertheless keep around, and perhaps hang somewhere 😍

Ektar (I believe two ND grads of different strengths)

503cw, 80mm Plana + 2x Zeiss Mutar tele

Adam, ok, I surrender, I´ll put Jerusalem and the Dead Sea on my short list.   K. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1