Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

1 hour ago, Steve Ricoh said:

The forum pages are jumping around and it's very annoying. As far as I understand it has something to do with the variable size of banner adverts, causing the pages to move up and down as a result.

Annoying to say the least.

It could also be embedded photos from other sites, like Flickr. These can take a while to load and then expand when they do. I'm afraid I may be contributing to the jumpiness!

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

Last of the  glacier-pics ; promised 😐

Incredible!!

vor 14 Stunden schrieb A miller:

I am not sure that this makes the cut, and think that a longer lens (e.g., my 180mm sonar and 6x9) might be more effective at what i was after....

Tri-X @ 800 + orange

SWC

Very good Adam! Really like in a Science Fiction movie

vor 14 Stunden schrieb A miller:

❤️

NYC

Portra 400

M-A, 28mm

Yes!! Here we are again! Missed your city beauties!

On 5/26/2019 at 7:25 PM, christoph_d said:

New York is crazy! 😁

M5, 35, Portra400

Great shot, Congratulations! - Do Yo believe this is the regular rendition of the PORTRA 400, just asking because to me it seems near perfect.

Cheers, Shlomo, Greetings from Berlin.

Who ever thought that a balloon holder could become a useful tool in the darkroom? 

I mentioned a while back that I was considering to build a film dryer to try to attack dust and drying marks on my black and white films. Well I went ahead and did it yesterday. And in reckless disregard of my own self I put it all on the internet for everyone to see :rolleyes: This is but a first prototype but it works very well and, having gone through this process, I already know a few ways in which the design can be improved.

https://philipus.com/project-film-dryer-prototype

20 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Blueskyoveraquatic, I´m following your photos for a while now and think that you have a special, personal style in framing, motifs and mood. Great. The tonal range you show seems  reduced. Is this intentional to invent a distance to reality ? As does @Ernest with his "caution zone stripes" ? Greyness as a reminder that this is not reality but a dream? 

Hello Kl@usW,

I am Dennis. I would like to thank you for your kind words.  The photos that you had seen is from my first roll of Tri-X since I have been back using the film medium recently.  I know that I am a long way from being able to convey my ideas through photos.  Yes, I had intentionally reduced the tonal range of my photos using SilverFast (a scanning software).  However, "to invent a distance to reality" did not occur to me, but it was "hmm... I like the look of this photo" :-).  I love your elegant interpretation,  and I hope that I will be able to improve my skills by learning from you all and making more photos.

I just finished a TMax roll, and I will develop and scan this roll tomorrow.  I will find out if I like Tri-X or TMax or both.  Then, I am going to try other B&W films such as Ilford HP5+ and Delta.

Again, I would like to thank you for stopping by and commenting!

I can't take credit for this one as it was made by my 6-year old daughter. I only scanned it and tweaked the colours to her liking in Photoshop. Pink, of course. The right-hand figure is, methinks, her take on Munch's "Skrik".

Flickr
Ektar X1 and various pens

On 6/6/2019 at 11:40 PM, benqui said:

Phil this one is for you: I think our friend Philip Marlowe would be happy to work for such a client..........

M6, Ilford Delta 400, Apo 50

Perfect, You even managed the shape of the fumes! ❤️ 😉

Kindest, Shlomo.

No Go No. 26A
M-A APO 50  ADOX Implosion & E100
Continued color field study of site/sight and transparency. When is a photograph a non-photograph? What is the threshold with photography of Malevich's objectlessness?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Shlomo:

Perfect, You even managed the shape of the fumes! ❤️ 😉

Kindest, Shlomo.

Thanks a lot Shlomo for your kind words! 

No Go Water Hazard
M-A Thambar-M & APO 50
ADOX Color Implosion, E100, and JCH StreetPan 400

Color field study of transparency and image cancellation with caution stripes (APO 50). My thinking here is to take a cliché photograph and, in essence, cancel it with the caution zone stripes. Paradoxically, I find my attention landing on the caution zone as an artifact.