I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/13/2019 at 6:06 PM, benqui said:

M4, Apo 50, Cinestill 800 (with ISO 500), no filter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What I like about this shot is that she is beautiful! What I hate about this shot is that this what you do, and all I have is to follow Adam around taking pics of people looking like they have steam coming out of their heads!!!!!  🙂 You made my day again -- thank you.

• Haha 3

Double Gray
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Tri-x 400 D76 (1+1) 6 mins, M5 + Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb sblitz:

What I like about this shot is that she is beautiful! What I hate about this shot is that this what you do, and all I have is to follow Adam around taking pics of people looking like they have steam coming out of their heads!!!!!  🙂 You made my day again -- thank you.

ha,hah, my pleasure!!

• Thanks 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Following along (loosely) with Christoph's theme, I think it has been an unusually long time since I shared some street schmootz 😂

NYC

Portra 400

M-A, 28mm

I love these shots with the illuminated  steam and the people just walk without noticing it, almost like remote controlled

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

I like your black and whites,  but your color shots are very nice too. Do you hear music when shooting ? I always hear a distant tune in the way of Joao Gilberto when looking at your photos... 

Thanks Kl@usW. No, not really, but that's nice you can hear some music. There must be many similarities between composing music and composing images. Bossa Nova was obsessed with sun and sea in its themes. Brasilia is a long way from the sea so I have to make do with the Paranoá lake. 🙂

No Go Cloudscape
M-A APO 50  ADOX Color Implosion, Portra 400, & E100

• Like 12

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Rog, I´m coming back to this color field for some time now-it´s got a strange fascination. Hard to grasp it, but it may be the polarity between what you call a cliché photograph ( that from the depth of our evolutionary memory is attractive, because water means  food, fun,  life for the gatherer-hunter)   and the construction of hard edges, hard colors shouting: keep off !    Now, what shall the anthropoid approaching the oasis do? 

A completely different  question for me is: Why do people make cliché photographs ?  There must be a reason for  the itch and urge of the many to take photos of sunsets, sunrises, waterfronts, puppies, cats,  women, men, babies, trees & forests, lambs, .... What needs do these clichés satisfy ? 

K. 

Well, Klaus—there you go, again. Asking the simple question that is so complex it drives us crazy.

"Why do people make cliché photographs?  What needs do these clichés satisfy?"

Far more qualified minds than mine can begin to speculate on the motivation of people to make cliché photographs. Then, again, who is to corral what is cliché and what isn't. Is William Eggleston's tricycle shot or Ansel Adams's waterfall shot to be dismissed as mere clichés? I remember the advice that there are innumerable subjects that may be potentially cliché, but the ever inventive artist has the opportunity to see or state those subjects from a unique perspective. So, the artist is always on the lookout for what I will call the "unique cliché." Talk about oxymorons? How to make the boring interesting and fresh. The adage in advertising is that you cannot afford to be boring. The O.E.D. definition of cliché hinges on an overused idea or phrase that is stale or uninteresting—hardly unique. So why doesn’t the cliché get any respect instead of only notoriety? Perhaps the time has come to sit up in our theater seats and clap for the ubiquitous cliché. Hooray, hooray. One can hardly side step the Shakespearean duel when the protagonist lunges with his epee , striking his opponent, “Ah, ha! Cliché!“

So, what needs do these (photographs of) clichés satisfy? Again, perhaps sociologists, pscychiatrists,  and Jungian analysts can offer their informed perspective, but I remember what Maximillian Schell said at a screening of his 1968 film of Kafka's The Castle. The film ends abruptly, since Kafka died before finishing the novel. I had the temerity to ask from the audience what Schell had been thinking in terms of the ending that doesn't end--what was the spark that prompted him to direct this film. He answered, "To keep away from death."

Here is another edited version of the "No Go Water Hazard" composition.

The view of the trees being reflected in the lagoon calls up simultaneously the two notions of art being either the view through a window or a reflection as in a mirror— in this case, both, simultaneously. The composition on the right does two things in it reflection and refraction of an ambiguous view. It is vision, blurred and frustrated from any sense of focus. This was an opportunity to audition the Thambar  and capitalize on its glowing characteristics. I removed the lagoon trees, altogether, and emphasized the caution zone stripes, a blatant statement that this is a construction zone.

No Go Windows
M-A Thambar-M & APO 50  ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Adam, Fantastic colors and great composition!  Your doing honor to your office as the minister of the Dead Sea Tourist Board.  Anyway: this was the Planar and not the SWC? 

K. 

You are doing fine, Dennis! 

Nice hip-shot ! 

Very nice tonality. 

K. 

Now that´s a clean car ! 

I like your black and whites,  but your color shots are very nice too. Do you hear music when shooting ? I always hear a distant tune in the way of Joao Gilberto when looking at your photos... 

K. 

Dear Klaus,

Thank you for your encouragement!  I will take your compliment to boost my self-confidence, but I know that I will have to study hard and practice diligently this craft for many years to come.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:32 PM, helged said:

Anemone nemorosa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemone_nemorosa) is the spring flower for many Europeans, me included. This field has, unfortunately, been thrown upside-down and you-name-it, with a meter or so of concrete on the top... :wacko:

Mamiya 7 w/21mm. Fuji Provia F 100.

Fantastic.  Like a waterfall of flowers.  

On 6/14/2019 at 9:32 PM, NW67 said:

What is that. Is it some sort of underground heating?

ha ha, our taxes are in fact high enough to provided heated sidewalks.  But sadly our money is squandered and we are left with toxic schmootz

19 hours ago, benqui said:

I love these shots with the illuminated  steam and the people just walk without noticing it, almost like remote controlled

I love the way you think about this scene, Marc.  Thanks for that!

9 hours ago, christoph_d said:

I love the streets with those narrow shafts of light in NYC

M5, 35, Portra400

Me too, Christoph  - Nice ❤️

9 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Thanks Adam,

Those Dutch tourists should be in your inbox by now. 

Thanks - love them.  So now I am the proud owner and can do with them as I wish?  

6 hours ago, Ernest said:

No Go Cloudscape
M-A APO 50  ADOX Color Implosion, Portra 400, & E100

Very good, Rog - 👏

Segerstrom Music Hall in Costa Mesa, California

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1