I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

Marc, this is the first color photo I´ve seen from you-very nice and appealing. What I like particularly is the "real life" look of your photos  as opposed to the "Death by Photoshop"-Mutilation of female models. Btw:  Cinestill seems do the job in portrait/beauty. And: I wonder if you find shooting in color more difficult than  b/w?    K. 

I am happy that you like the Color version Klaus. And you got the main point: with analog portraits there is no need to photoshop a face beyond recognition. I find shooting in color more difficult: does the color of the clothes fit to the background? Is there too much make-up which could look unnatural? Which colors of the clothes can be combined......? When I shoot in color I have in most of the cases (studios, appartments) photos from the location and a program (Adobe Capture) to analyse the colors of the location to see which color of the clothes would be perfect. It is much easier in b/w: looking for the best light, focus, klick, finished!

I am also a fan of the cinestill films esp. the 800, also the Double XX in b/w. But my workhorses are the Portra 400, Tmax 400 and the Ilford Delta 400.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

Nice camera, well shown in the picture. I am curious how you like the Kodak ProImage 100 film? Can you compare it to Portra films?

Hi Christoph,

on a travel to Peking I used the Proimage 100 as well as the Portra 400 and I liked the Portra 400 much more. Maybe it is a question of your personal taste, but I found the colors of the Portra more appealing as well as the sharpness. Some of the Proimage photos looked a bit "pulpy"

• Thanks 1

ProImage again with Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Nice camera, well shown in the picture. I am curious how you like the Kodak ProImage 100 film? Can you compare it to Portra films?

Rgds

C.

Hi Christoph. I have never used Portra although I've always loved the look of it. For me it's a matter of economy. Here, ProImage is the second cheapest film after Kodak ColorPlus and I get it at a 50% discount at my lab when I develop and scan a roll of colour film. With discount it costs me R$12 as apposed to around R$70 or more for Portra (not offered discounted). I like ProImage and much prefer it to ColorPlus but I defer to benqui and his comments above!

• Thanks 1

Red leaves... M4-P Summicron 35/2 Ektachrome

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ultramax 400, Pentax MX 50mm f/1.4

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 13

On 6/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, A miller said:

John shoots film!!  Love it!  This one especially is lovely for its repeating angles.  Do you still have any XP2 left?

Ah well Adam, you inspired me in New York, so I've dusted off the M4 and a few other old friends, and loaded up some film.  My last roll of XP2 has just gone into my Nikon F2AS, so I'll be out this weekend with that..

Hope you're keeping well. Best wishes, John.

Edited by jcraf
  • Haha 1

503CW Etkar 100

My Bike

Am 13.6.2019 um 01:48 schrieb A miller:

Another balmy Velvia 50 moment from the Dead Sea. ❤️

Hassy 503CW, 80mm Planar

Adam, Fantastic colors and great composition!  Your doing honor to your office as the minister of the Dead Sea Tourist Board.  Anyway: this was the Planar and not the SWC? 

K. 

Am 13.6.2019 um 07:45 schrieb blueskyoveraquatic:

Color film - R5 + Leica Summicron-R - Manipulated digitally into B&W

You are doing fine, Dennis! 

Am 13.6.2019 um 20:41 schrieb Xícara de Café:

vor 14 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

Flare in NYC

M5, 35, Portra400

Nice hip-shot ! 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb djmay:

Pointe du Hoc https://djessemay.com/

Very nice tonality. 

K. 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Steve Ricoh:

Now that´s a clean car ! 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Xícara de Café:

I like your black and whites,  but your color shots are very nice too. Do you hear music when shooting ? I always hear a distant tune in the way of Joao Gilberto when looking at your photos... 

K. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The 'bear' necessities - Inveraray Scotland 

Leica 111f & 50mm Summar - Delta100 & yellow filter

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/13/2019 at 2:43 AM, hillavoider said:

Ektar 100

fantastic colors - love that Ektar :)

On 6/13/2019 at 9:09 AM, Rennrocky said:

Voigtländer Vito CS Kodak Gold  Tommasini Tecno

Very interesting and I am glad that you survived to show the photo 😳

On 6/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, Xícara de Café said:

Very lovely - a relaxing image with very pleasing colors!

On 6/13/2019 at 6:06 PM, benqui said:

M4, Apo 50, Cinestill 800 (with ISO 500), no filter

Excellent, Marc.  The coolness of the Cinestill really comes through.  And I'll bet the bit of extra speed came in handy.  She is beautiful!

16 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Flare in NYC

M5, 35, Portra400

Love it, Christoph.  Right up my alley!  Might there be one or two lovely photos of a couple of Dutch tourists on your light box somewhere??? 😉

13 hours ago, djmay said:

Pointe du Hoc https://djessemay.com/

wow this is AMAZING.  You NAILED the exposure and rendition - through and through.  Bravo!

12 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Fantastic, Steve.  Another example of making something out of nothing.

8 hours ago, jcraf said:

Ah well Adam, you inspired me in New York, so I've dusted off the M4 and a few other old friends, and loaded up some film.  My last roll of XP2 has just gone into my Nikon F2AS, so I'll be out this weekend with that..

Hope you're keeping well. Best wishes, John.

Ha ha, John, I'll never forget how much your inspiration cost me in terms of a cold bath on my MM - I just couldn't live up to the size of your shoes! 

Seriously, so glad you dusted off you M4, and sorry I can't be with you to enjoy the fun experience.  Looking forward to seeing more!!

7 hours ago, NW67 said:

503CW Etkar 100

My Bike

I knew right away that was your bike...

6 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Miller city!

Ha ha, Christoph - where you go you make it your own - that's the great thing about your photography.  A true inspiration (even though I can't get my Adox to be like yours 🤬)

2 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Adam, Fantastic colors and great composition!  Your doing honor to your office as the minister of the Dead Sea Tourist Board.  Anyway: this was the Planar and not the SWC? 

Ha ha, thanks, Klaus.  Yes, I a really deserve my own camel to carry my gear for what I do for their tourism business 😂

2 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

At the end of every journey to Patagonia lies Ushuaia,   the town at the "End of the world". Of course this is not true, because  in the distance you see the mountains of "Tierra del Fuego", so the end is not yet there. Towering over Ushuaia there is, of course a glacier. But I promised: no more glaciers.  The ship in the foreground lies there not just by chance, but  serves a purpose:  It´s been english and seems to remind the Argentinians of some war they won ( or was it the other way round ?) and so they leave it where it is. 

HB, 2,8/50 FE, Portra 400@200. No filters, the sky looked that way. 

Amazing, the combo of the sky and water is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A miller said:

Following along (loosely) with Christoph's theme, I think it has been an unusually long time since I shared some street schmootz 😂

NYC

Portra 400

M-A, 28mm

What is that. Is it some sort of underground heating?