I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Am 11.6.2019 um 14:42 schrieb FHPdoc:

Excellent question--made me think!

Pondering this since I am no doubt guilty myself, for me it fills the void of my own inexperience and lack of vision--I have not yet learned to 'see' for myself.  That said, perhaps it is also a necessary step to actually acquiring that unique style and vision.  Do we all pass through this phase, however long (or short)--crawling before walking??

Yeah, in my experience--looking back to my own "career"-  taking photos develops in steps: first you imitate, follow the rules, master the technique and only then you start to develop your own style. How far that development will carry you, depends on your circumstances, your luck, your gifts.... Apparently there are people who develop a very personal style very early--fine for them, I wasn´t that lucky or gifted but enjoy taking fotos anyway. 

Am 11.6.2019 um 15:01 schrieb Michael Hiles:

A complicated question.

One element is magic. Whether film or digital, something magic happens when we press the button, both on the sensor, and in the mind. Part of the magic is that our sense of proportion is lowered dramatically. This partly explains why we are (at least sometimes) inclined to show pictures that are plainly awful. The fact that an image exists at all seems to be reason enough to let us think that we are in line for a knighthood or the Presidential Medal of Freedom (maybe the Legion d’Honneur), when in fact our image is mediocre at best. Our sense of worth is often enhanced when the subject is in fact a cliché. How can our shot of the Louvre be anything but a winner (I have a few). Human nature.

Yes, I remember when I showed my first pictures, made at the age of twelve--the cat sitting in the tree-- to my mother. She said: Oh, phantastic, they are sharp and clear !    I already at that age  felt, that that was not what i wanted to hear.... I wanted a praise, but not for the focusing, but for the magic of the act....

Am 11.6.2019 um 16:18 schrieb Steve Ricoh:

I have a tendency to either a) overthink the situation and end up pulling the shot, b) go out with good intention to express how I feel about things - the world - but generally operate in case-mode c) where I have urge to press the shutter and end up with a cliche shot. I look at the results (both digital and film, I'm agnostic) and conclude there's something wrong with my kit, so head off to eBay, that's case d). :)

Steve, you seem to be a brother  in that a), b) c) ... cascade. I´m ending at d) to often too... 

Am 11.6.2019 um 16:39 schrieb benqui:

Maybe one problem is our brain. You see many photos which you like, which you look for a longer time. These photos are memorized in the deepness of your brain. And if you see a similar situation, you press the trigger. It is just a theory, but for me it works...

I agree Marc, but I would like to expand your idea: maybe you not only try to recall a photo you once saw, but maybe even an event, a situation, a feeling.... So behind the photo you like is an experience you loved and by making a photo you reboot that feeling.. ?? My twopence..  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jcraf said:

Liverpool (2)

M7, 50 Summicron IV, XP2

John shoots film!!  Love it!  This one especially is lovely for its repeating angles.  Do you still have any XP2 left?

5 hours ago, mdp said:

Wet flower... MP Elmar 90/4 Delta 100

Very nice - love those droplets

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Oops, wrong pier... 

Punta Arenas, Chile. This old pier dates back to the sheep farming boom  1880 to 1900. English immigrant farmers shipped their wool from here. Today PA is an important destination for  cruises--situated at the Magellan strait, next stop being Fireland and Antarctica. 

HB, 2,8/50 FE, Portra 400@200

Wow another stunner, Klaus.  The DOF is amazing and I love how the wooden deck leads the eye all the way INTO the image and onto the pleasant blue sky.  Bravo !

Color film - R5 + Leica Summicron-R - Manipulated digitally into B&W

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Berlin Oranienstraße Rolleiflex Foma 100 Rodinal

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Ektar 100

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Voigtländer Vito CS Kodak Gold  Tommasini Tecno

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Ultramax 400, Pentax MX 50mm f/1.4

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8, Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 17

Leica M6 - Summicron 2/35 - APX100 - Spur HRX

vor 30 Minuten schrieb benqui:

M4, Apo 50, Cinestill 800 (with ISO 500), no filter

Marc, this is the first color photo I´ve seen from you-very nice and appealing. What I like particularly is the "real life" look of your photos  as opposed to the "Death by Photoshop"-Mutilation of female models. Btw:  Cinestill seems do the job in portrait/beauty. And: I wonder if you find shooting in color more difficult than  b/w?    K. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8, Kodak ProImage 100.

Nice camera, well shown in the picture. I am curious how you like the Kodak ProImage 100 film? Can you compare it to Portra films?

Rgds

C.

• Like 1

Flare in NYC

M5, 35, Portra400

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1