I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, philipus said:

Speaking of strange goings on, I have no idea how this happened. 

Flickr
80/1.8 pre-AI Portra 400(EI800) X1

I think a certain level of alcohol in the veins of the photographer could explain both, the blurry exposure and the loss of memory :)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Helged,

Nice photo.

Sad about the field.

What happened?

Best Regards,

Michael

A new road and some new buildings. An apparently small change viewed from distance, but the accumulated effect of changes in land use is the main reason for the unprecedented decline in biodiversity and species extinction (followed by direct exploitation of organisms; climate change; pollution and invasive alien species; https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/blog/2019/05/nature-decline-unprecedented-report/).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Is it on the negs? or on print only?
Could be foam in stopbath. can happen if too long waiting between pouring out the developer and pouring in the stopbath.

Thank you for the explanation. I'm sure your reasoning is sound and resonates well with me. I honestly haven't studied the negs, nor printed any. These are visible on the scanned files as they show up on the screen.

Here is another...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yes it seems to be foam of developer when too much agitation is applied and time between pouring out the developer  and pouring in the stopbath was too long.
Do you did developing at home in a drum with spiral film holder or is it made in a lab in a tank where films are hanged straight in?

P.S. When in a tank, the lab has too much agitation with nitrogen in the developer tank and put the film too slowly in stopbath.
But for me from distance it looks like drum developing with low developer level and too much shaking…

Edited by verwackelt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, Kacper111 said:

Leica M2 | Summicron rigid | 40 years old expired orwo np7 :)

And print :)

The print looks great, lovely range of (warm) tones and nice and sharp. Great portrait too!

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

Yes it seems to be foam of developer when too much agitation is applied and time between pouring out the developer  and pouring in the stopbath was too long.
Do you did developing at home in a drum with spiral film holder or is it made in a lab in a tank where films are hanged straight in?

P.S. When in a tank, the lab has too much agitation with nitrogen in the developer tank and put the film too slowly in stopbath.
But for me from distance it looks like drum developing with low developer level and too much shaking…

It's a lab job.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, i would look at the negatives with a loupe and show them to get money back. Do you now how they develop? hanger tank or drum?
The result of the lab is very annoying. if it is an exeption and they do otherwise good jobs i would give them another chance.
But it is important to complain about their work, so that they can improve their workflow.
The best is to develop bw-film by yourself. It is not so difficult as most people think…

• Thanks 1

If you go down to the woods today - Contin north west Scotland

Leica 111f & 50mm Summar - Ilford Delta100 & yellow filter

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, helged said:

A new road and some new buildings. An apparently small change viewed from distance, but the accumulated effect of changes in land use is the main reason for the unprecedented decline in biodiversity and species extinction (followed by direct exploitation of organisms; climate change; pollution and invasive alien species; https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/blog/2019/05/nature-decline-unprecedented-report/).

Hello Helged,

Thanx for the update. As I wrote above. It is sad. Especially sad because people were writing about this happening over 100 years ago. When it was easier to prevent. Ecological Sensibility is not a new field.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

Here is another ski-field chalet in winter on T-Max 100, probably better lit than the one in an earlier photo.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Ok, i would look at the negatives with a loupe and show them to get money back. Do you now how they develop? hanger tank or drum?
The result of the lab is very annoying. if it is an exeption and they do otherwise good jobs i would give them another chance.
But it is important to complain about their work, so that they can improve their workflow.
The best is to develop bw-film by yourself. It is not so difficult as most people think…

Yes, thanks again. I'll certainly bring it to their notice. They are usually reasonably careful but really no excuses for ruining photos through neglect.

1 hour ago, }{B said:

If you go down to the woods today - Contin north west Scotland

Leica 111f & 50mm Summar - Ilford Delta100 & yellow filter

Like a Scottish Easter Island.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Swans. Liverpool, 2013.

M4, 50 Summilux, XP2.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, Shlomo said:

Great shot, Congratulations! - Do Yo believe this is the regular rendition of the PORTRA 400, just asking because to me it seems near perfect.

Cheers, Shlomo, Greetings from Berlin.

Thank you. 

I believe that all negative films - in contrast to slide films - have a rather subjective colour rendition and are subject to manipulation. Furthermore colours are always subject to the light available. Having said that, I do think that Kadak Portra, particularly the 160 and 400 variants have often (or shall I say easily) above rendition.

Greetings from the Netherlands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wet Leaves, MP Elmar 90/4 Delta 100

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Am 11.6.2019 um 14:21 schrieb Steve Ricoh:

67 birds, give or take one or two. Also the location where I lost my lens cap!

Lomography 800CN redscaled at EI200. Leica M6, 35mm f/2

Again a very nice redscaled photo.   And the lens caps... they come and they go. I try to avoid a too close relation  to them, it makes it  less painfull when, not if they go....😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1