I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Traveling Again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M2 / CV Nokton 35/1.4 / Kentmere 400 / Xtol

• Like 18

Five Birds - Lomography 800CN Redscaled at EI200, Leica M6 35mm f/2

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

I've been revisiting some of my earlier Kodachromes. Kodachrome X, which became Kodachrome 64, was my main colour film through my early shooting days of the 1970s. The building in this picture has been replaced by a far more modern one, but I'm pleased to say the sign survived:

Carrum Bowling Club 1975

Canon TLb, FD 24mm f2.8 SSC, Kodachrome X

oh honey, I am in love ❤️

5 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

wow that is super cool, Steve.  And the subject matter has an edge to it that makes it quite complimentary.

7 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

One of those days to remember a lifetime :)

Fuji DL-1000 (probably) - Fuji C100

Love it, James.  A truly special moment captured for many lifetimes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A miller said:

wow that is super cool, Steve.  And the subject matter has an edge to it that makes it quite complimentary.

Love it, James.  A truly special moment captured for many lifetimes

Thanks Adam - the black crows caught my eye and I  had to snap, even though the camera in hand had the redscaled film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Wonderful mood in this one and how cool is it to see these vibrant colors in all their freshness after all these years since the photons did their magic on the Kodachrome emulsion!

11 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Love the colours of Kodakchrome, do any of the films remaining today come close? If so I'd like to hear from anyone with a view.

11 hours ago, christoph_d said:

IMHO: Kodak Eastman Motion Picture Film developed in their original Juice (not in C-41) may be a candidate (look at their advertising material). Particular the 250 Emulsion looks interesting. Cinestill, developed in the same soup is of course identical. However, problems with removing the black gunk on the back and with getting the hands on the developer abound.

4 hours ago, A miller said:

Thank you sincerely James, Steve, Adam and for all those who gave my early kodachrome a nod of approval.

Steve, I truly don't believe there is anything quite like kodachrome, although having said that there is no one kodachrome to base that statement off, as it had quite a few iterations over its long career. But the colours were never emulated by an Ektachrome, for instance, and the Fuji and Agfa chromes etc have and had their own distinctive flavor but nothing quite like the muscular Kodachrome. It doesn't necessarily mean of course that Kodachrome was "better" (except for longevity which I think is indispuitable) but it certainly had its own "look". I especially like it in the kind of low-light scene that my Carrum Bowling Club picture shows - I think it really shone under low light conditions - so in that respect it probably seems a comparatively "moody" or "atmospheric" film, a quality which I think is generally favoured.

Of current films, I defer to Christoph's suggestions of cine films. I've used Cinestill but, with the remjet removal process or whatever, I didn't find it particularly reminded me of Kodachrome. I think Kodak (or whoever it is currently) have gone for a nod to Kodachrome with both Ektar and Ektachrome 100, but it is just a nod. Still, in the absence of anything else, there are those to try - Cinestill, Ektar, E100. Of course adroitness with Photoshop or whatever editing software will get you close, too, as will processing in LAB colour.

Adam, you're incorrigible!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

One of those days to remember a lifetime :)

Fuji DL-1000 (probably) - Fuji C100

James, this is so beautiful. A sunny day in Paris with the one you love - it doesn't really get much better than that does it?

• Like 1

Digital Disconnect
M-A APO 50 Portra 400

• Like 18

11 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

And the bird packing the M6, totally radioactive? My Geiger counter is love with Lomo 800CN, and Hitchcock didn't have to storyboard it.

• Like 1

Hi Ernest you inspired me to take this low tide triptych 

Kodak Ektar 100

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

Hi Ernest you inspired me to take this low tide triptych 

Kodak Ektar 100

Awesome contrast of texture and the nuance of color put us on notice that even the commonplace has a sense of mystery.

Cheers, Rog

Waiting for more.

thanks, here's another attempt but the sky greyed out a bit too much  Agfa APX 400

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 15

14 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

thanks, here's another attempt but the sky washed out    Agfa APX 400

Frankly, your minimalist aesthetic creates a sense of mystery; what's beyond the wall? The antenna towers. What's on this side of wall? The solitary tree. Surveillance. Paranoia. What's the audio track on this? Heavy equipment, earth movers? I know, the circus gets a little crazy, but without a little crazy, what's the point?

Edited by Ernest
circus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Frankly, your minimalist aesthetic creates a sense of mystery; what's beyond the wall? The antenna towers. What's on this side of wall? The solitary tree. Surveillance. Paranoia. What's the audio track on this? Heavy equipment, earth movers? I know, the circus gets a little crazy, but without a little crazy, what's the point?

I can only envisage a constant high pitched tinnitus like electrical hum, pretty grim eh :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cad Prussian
M-A APO 50 E100 & Portra 400

• Like 18

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

The Ferrari cars at that exhibition where definitely not for sale. As much as I like the style of these cars, I couldn't afford one than as I can't afford one now. My private goal remains to buy a Porsche, though 😎 

perfect goal!!!😉

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2019 at 8:55 PM, A miller said:

One of my new interests is "commercial voyeurism."  This is a dry run with Ektar.  There is tons of detail and you can see some of the people very clearly in the offices and what they are doing.  The Ektar was just too slow, though, and many of the people were removed due to the motion.  Despite the long exposure (2 minutes +) it was surprising to see so many people in good sharpness at their desks.  Slaves they are!!!  I am thinking that I should aim for the early onset of the sunset when there is still a bit more outside light and slide film with good reciprocity failure tolerance, like Provia 100F, so that I can expose for the highlights and get a much faster exposure.

More to come... :)

Financial District, NYC

Ektar 6x17

180mm Schneider APO Symmar

Technorama 617siii

I would expose at 1/15 f/2 for extar.   The offices would come in perfect exposure and the outside would come dark, close to if not back, creating a lattice effect overlaid on the office. Try one like that, I think you would like the result.

• Like 1