I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, A miller said:

One of my new interests is "commercial voyeurism."  This is a dry run with Ektar.  There is tons of detail and you can see some of the people very clearly in the offices and what they are doing.  The Ektar was just too slow, though, and many of the people were removed due to the motion.  Despite the long exposure (2 minutes +) it was surprising to see so many people in good sharpness at their desks.  Slaves they are!!!  I am thinking that I should aim for the early onset of the sunset when there is still a bit more outside light and slide film with good reciprocity failure tolerance, like Provia 100F, so that I can expose for the highlights and get a much faster exposure.

More to come... :)

Financial District, NYC

Ektar 6x17

180mm Schneider APO Symmar

Technorama 617siii

I see you have come over to the Darkside of color field photography: art plus film. Hooray 

Cheers, Rog 🎬

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, A miller said:

wow, like Mars.  Love the POV, Phil :)

wow, what a tongue on that guy!  Too many lollipops, perhaps?

Perhaps it is the tongue lashing that is required in a Samuel Beckett play. John Anderson‘s character, Nagg, is required to eat only a biscuit, which looks more like a dog biscuit than anything else. No red lollipop here.  John Anderson is one of those character actors who played in literally hundreds of films and television series, even cutting his teeth on Broadway early in his career.  He played the bit part of the gas station attendant in Alfred Hitchcock‘s psycho.  But that red tongue? He played Abraham Lincoln three times and Roosevelt, too.   He had a fatal heart attack in 1997,  69 years old. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A miller said:

One of my new interests is "commercial voyeurism."  This is a dry run with Ektar.  There is tons of detail and you can see some of the people very clearly in the offices and what they are doing.  The Ektar was just too slow, though, and many of the people were removed due to the motion.  Despite the long exposure (2 minutes +) it was surprising to see so many people in good sharpness at their desks.  Slaves they are!!!  I am thinking that I should aim for the early onset of the sunset when there is still a bit more outside light and slide film with good reciprocity failure tolerance, like Provia 100F, so that I can expose for the highlights and get a much faster exposure.

Financial District, NYC

Ektar 6x17

180mm Schneider APO Symmar

Technorama 617siii

So, now it’s Jimmy Stewart, huh?

• Haha 2

Mid Level, HK by JM__, on Flickr

Ilford 3200 - Ricoh GR21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Very good idea Adam! They look like people in a rat race! Maybe many are in such a good sharpness because they did not move at all for more than 2 sec......

• Like 1

Excellent Christoph. Very effective use of negative space too.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, christoph_d said:

somewhere in NYC

M5, 135, Portra800@400

Such an intriguing photo, Phil. 

On 5/30/2019 at 12:14 PM, stray cat said:

self portrait 1977

Canon AE1, FD 24mm f2.8 SSC, Tri-X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it is fun to shoot people in photo galleries. The one below is from the excellent little photo museum we have here in The Hague which recently put on Lauren Greenfield's Generation Wealth, a truly eye-opening exhibition well worth catching.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Flickr
FM3A 50/1.8 AI Portra 400 (EI800) X1
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ernest said:

I see you have come over to the Darkside of color field photography: art plus film. Hooray 

Cheers, Rog 🎬

Ha ha, I guess that's nice way of describing that I am just a nosy person 😂

Perhaps it is the tongue lashing that is required in a Samuel Beckett play. John Anderson‘s character, Nagg, is required to eat only a biscuit, which looks more like a dog biscuit than anything else. No red lollipop here.  John Anderson is one of those character actors who played in literally hundreds of films and television series, even cutting his teeth on Broadway early in his career.  He played the bit part of the gas station attendant in Alfred Hitchcock‘s psycho.  But that red tongue? He played Abraham Lincoln three times and Roosevelt, too.   He had a fatal heart attack in 1997,  69 years old. 

Very interesting, Rog.  Thanks for that info.  

So, now it’s Jimmy Stewart, huh?

Ha ha, very funny !

9 hours ago, Wayne said:

502-1

Pentax MX, SK Retina 35/2.8 Curtagon, Expired (early 80s) Agfa Superpan 200 @ 62

this is fantastic, Wayne.

7 hours ago, benqui said:

Very good idea Adam! They look like people in a rat race! Maybe many are in such a good sharpness because they did not move at all for more than 2 sec......

Thanks, Marc.  Yes, I guess the people who come out very clear are those without ADHD.  Notice that there are only a few of them!

1 hour ago, philipus said:

I think it is fun to shoot people in photo galleries. The one below is from the excellent little photo museum we have here in The Hague which recently put on Lauren Greenfield's Generation Wealth, a truly eye-opening exhibition well worth catching.

Flickr
FM3A 50/1.8 AI Portra 400 (EI800) X1

Thanks for sharing this, Philip.  

I came across Lauren in her documentary on one of the streaming services (I think Netflix but not sure), which I HIGHLY recommend.  She grew up in Los Angeles in the same community as the Kardashians (I think he may have gone to high school with them) in the 80's and documented a lot of the "culture of excess" back then. SO intriguing and the documentary is equally fascinating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Another unsung hero.

"J," just moments after serving up one of the best pork tenderloin sandwiches in Indiana........And happy to do it. :)

IIIA, Canon 1.2/50 LTM, Foma 200, 510 Pyro

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, A miller said:

this is fantastic, Wayne.

Thanks, Adam. It means a lot.

I have now thought about the "photos we cannot un-see" for a few days now. As is so often the case with your photos, I cannot help but wonder about the narrative behind the individual presented.

I figure if he is not, he could be a Wall Street type that has just recently knocked down his second $1B managing a hedge fund:....."To hell with it, I am going to do my power yoga in the street today." The hair is too good to be your garden variety kook. Moving Banana Man 30 years into the future? :)

Only in NYC.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Am 30.5.2019 um 12:12 schrieb stray cat:

Thank you very much to linking to this excellent introduction, Jörg. It really is good to know a little about the people behind the pictures. That red poles picture has me mesmerized - it's astounding!

Thank you Phil :)

I'm pleased about your comment. I have to say that the red poles picture is still my favourite one from my nature.digital.art-series 😀

Regards Jörg

I feel so "Hakuna Matata" today :) Out of boredom I grabbed my old photo boxes from the basement and began to scan some of the vintage shots. This one dates from 2002 and I think this could have been shot with my Fuji DL-1000 (big) pocket camera on Fuji C100. I somehow love these true analog colors:

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Also on this roll:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Wayne said:

Thanks, Adam. It means a lot.

I have now thought about the "photos we cannot un-see" for a few days now. As is so often the case with your photos, I cannot help but wonder about the narrative behind the individual presented.

I figure if he is not, he could be a Wall Street type that has just recently knocked down his second $1B managing a hedge fund:....."To hell with it, I am going to do my power yoga in the street today." The hair is too good to be your garden variety kook. Moving Banana Man 30 years into the future? :)

Only in NYC.

Best,

Wayne

Thanks very much, Wayne.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were true.  Only in New York 😂

5 hours ago, mdp said:

Velvia Sunset... MP Summicron 35/2 Velvia 50

wow, incredible mastery of the Velvia in low light.  The strength of the colors really come through.

3 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

I feel so "Hakuna Matata" today :) Out of boredom I grabbed my old photo boxes from the basement and began to scan some of the vintage shots. This one dates from 2002 and I think this could have been shot with my Fuji DL-1000 (big) pocket camera on Fuji C100. I somehow love these true analog colors:

love it, James.  That guy has a future in Times Square :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1