I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Armed to the teeth and getting ready to shoot...  [Tri-X]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

This guy looks like he is in need of a sherpa. I hope he has many lenses as counterweight in his backpack, otherwise he is in danger of meeting the cobblestone in front of him. And I feel uncomfortable with more than one pocket camera in my bag...

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, joergel said:

I know, it is off topic, but only a little introduction of myself. I hope it's ok 😎

https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/blog-photography-design/questions-jorg-haarmann

Regards Joerg

This is certainly more than ok, Joerg! I really appreciate to learn more about the people behind those avatars and it is inspiring to know how they came to photography, what inspires them and what goals they try to reach. So I read your article with great interest and if I ever happen to have the chance to visit you at work I will surely have some questions on how to detect good quality in meat and sausage :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kodak Pro Image 100, Exa, Isco Westar 2.8/50

• Like 12

17 hours ago, philipus said:

Something Ghostbustery about this shot that I like very much. 

Wow Rog, just wow. These notations are truly amazing. In this one I like in particular the struggle between the yellow material, which puts us firmly in reality, with the remaining ethe(un)real 'notes', which seem to try to break free from the shackles of the "real" (to quote from Altered Carbon). 

Thanks, Philip, for catching the flip sides to that coin I always try to gamble--real, unreal, real, unreal, real. . . .  The jokester in my DNA loves the fact that the YELLOW is termite exterminator's tenting. Yes, it's seen mileage and the deaths of countless unseen termites under its dirty yellow, but even now as I am lamenting the worn look of this yellow, my neighbor is having his house termited with, you guessed it, a bright cadmium yellow and cobalt blue tent! Oh, the color of it all and my dastardly design to somewhat "repurpose" these common object colors into newfound careers. I just love Phil's word, "repurpose," to characterize the potential of color on the photographer's palette. I guess it would certainly be fair to say that I am way into "repurposing." Ideally, though, I am trying to do it stealth-like, so it's not obvious and is more like an aha! Thanks for noticing the struggle between reality, the photograph "evidence," and the (un)real "notes." Now, I have to slingshot over to Altered Carbon--I am so clueless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, stray cat said:

Police dude just needs to turn and face the other way and I think he'd be a lot happier.

18 hours ago, philipus said:

Mt Foam

Flickr
80 Planar XP2(EI400) HC110(E) X1

I love this, Philip.  Somehow you managed to catch the shadow of Batman in the background.  Very well done!

16 hours ago, Suede said:

Congratulations, Adam. It's a nice straightforward no-nonsense interview and your photos which they featured in it are ones which we have seen before, so it feels nice and familiar.... sorta.. 

FWIW,  in your answer to the last question of the interview lies the lodestone for success in this style of photography.

Note: Didn't really need any knowledge of Spanish to figure out what the questions were... 😎

Great going, man!

Thanks a lot, Pritam.  I really appreciate the close read~

11 hours ago, Suede said:

Armed to the teeth and getting ready to shoot...  [Tri-X]

Very funny guy, and what's the the left foot of the guy in the background? 😳

7 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Here comes another panorama shot, this time made out of three shots. I am amazed how good this worked out. This is where the digital benefits come in really handy.

Ricoh GR1 - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

As much as I love the first version of this that you shared in portrait format with the lavender sky, I really like this one the best.  I love how you can see the tip of the Chrysler as part of the scene.  This is what I have been meaning to try to capture with my 90mm 6x17 but have been to lazy lately!

6 hours ago, joergel said:

I know, it is off topic, but only a little introduction of myself. I hope it's ok 😎

https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/blog-photography-design/questions-jorg-haarmann

Regards Joerg

Echoing others, Joerg, more than ok, I love the interview and am very impressed at the breadth of your photographic skills and genres.  You deserve more of these!!  Bravo!!

• Thanks 2

Here's a pair of photos that you'll never unsee no matter how hard you try 😂

You really just can't make this stuff up 😂

Times Square

Portra 160

M3, 50mm DR cron

Edited by A miller
  • Like 5
  • Haha 13

🤦‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

18 hours ago, stray cat said:

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of delight that has met the Crescendo Notation series. I've no idea why Adam craves sushi when he looks at it - perhaps it's lunchtime? - yet his comment makes perfect sense. There is the uncomplicated feeling of a bento lunchbox at play here, and once again I feel the musicality of the notes at play (why do those alien notes from "Close Encounters..." spring so readily to mind?). An extremely mature organization of prime colors plus the black/white binary, Albers' transparency, and as always the textures that enerringly remind us that these figures emanate from humble beginnings in the "real" world - a truck's tarpolian ("Car shrouded in fancy expensive tarpolian (I knew a truckdriver pronounced it 'tar-polian'")), stucco walls, elevator shafts - and are simply selected and repurposed as elements in a sophisticated arrangement - one that harks without deviation to sushi, to jazz and to whatever else we as viewers bring to it. Because that is the majesty and strength of these pieces - they demand of us that we become participants, furnishing our own backstory, tempo and narrative. I crave to see these enlarged 100 times onto some transparent base like plexiglass, subtly lit and hung, suspended, in a darkened room where we can walk around them and construct those sketches of our own. This is outstanding work.

Love the poetry of your perspective and the sheer economy of language that unravels the blur of images, colors, soundtracks, art theory, cinema, and now food, thanks to Adam's scrumptious sushi footnote! I was joking about my allusion to "chopsticks" in the design--two long black line forms--but since we're talking about the piece as a notation of crescendo, chopsticks as in piano playing seemed an appropriate pun. However, you really whet the appetite with your "bento lunchbox!" Even though an important element at play is Albers's transparency principle, I can imagine the design layout as a drone view of seating layout at the new (mon)Drian Sushi restaurant. Kidding aside, I started this piece thinking about white space, the concept of using "nothingness" to define "somethingness," so the first notation had to be elemental, laying out the vernacular in a very Mondrian sense, Bauhaus, and after looking at Crescendo Notation I, it occurred to me in a fog of playfulness that this was a portrait of Mondrian winking. All right, a plea of temporary insanity is in order, perhaps supported by my testimony that I was also thinking of Rietveld's Red/Blue Chair, Malevich's notion of "objectlessness," and Mondrian's Broadway Boogie-Woogie, the energetic notion that there could a relationship between syncopation of music and the colored light of painting. CE3K, as you noted? One might say that there is a blur of jostling color squares in Broadway Boogie-Woogie, but I wanted something as simple as the suggestion of crescendo. To that end, I used an emphasis of transparency in the large right panel of the diptych as I was designing it--Crescendo I and II at the same time. The yellow panels were unifying, never mind that I decided against using any blue primary notes, but then I eliminated the yellow altogether, so that the structural "notes" would remain on their own in a kind of spatial limbo of whiteness. Love your plexiglass presentation concept--very MoMA, no? I guess I'll settle for an 8-1/2x11, for now. Sushi, anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

portra 400.... I think

• Like 16

vor 3 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Here's a pair of photos that you'll never unsee no matter how hard you try 😂

You really just can't make this stuff up 😂

Times Square

Portra 160

M3, 50mm DR cron

If me meet in NY Adam, please come with another outfit! I am not such a fan of blue.....

• Haha 8