I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

A note from painter Barnett Newman:  “The issue of color became a practical test to myself: could I use the raw canvas the way I use a colored (painted) canvas and make that canvas come into some kind of color, so it would have the same sense of light? Could I get that large area to have what I suppose I would call the living quality of color without the use of color?“

I´m not sure I understand this as it is meant: The old masters were well aware of the importance of the canvas. Because of this sometimes they applied  a foundation to the canvas e.g. titanium oxide or gold  to give the overlying color, to be applied later, more depth, shine, translucency--thus interfering with the light in a way. So imho the canvas of course is an important part of the outcome, not only as a physical carrier, but to define the appearance. (  Is this the "Schein" (appearance ?)  of which Albers said- that it is the only thing, that doesn't deceive us ? )   This procedure , extended to photography, could be compared to our choice of film-defining structure, color family, brilliance....  The film is our canvas.    Sorry Ernest for my clumsy attempt...

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

I´m not sure I understand this as it is meant: The old masters were well aware of the importance of the canvas. Because of this sometimes they applied  a foundation to the canvas e.g. titanium oxide or gold  to give the overlying color, to be applied later, more depth, shine, translucency--thus interfering with the light in a way. So imho the canvas of course is an important part of the outcome, not only as a physical carrier, but to define the appearance. (  Is this the "Schein" (appearance ?)  of which Albers said- that it is the only thing, that doesn't deceive us ? )   This procedure , extended to photography, could be compared to our choice of film-defining structure, color family, brilliance....  The film is our canvas.    Sorry Ernest for my clumsy attempt...

Thank you, Klaus. I was musing over Rog's Newman quote myself and not getting very far - until I saw your take on it. In which case it makes perfect sense. To use as a base for your art something that is unprepared or raw, rather than priming it for "depth, shine, translucency" as you say. It can also have its direct corollary with film if we remember how you can "pre-fog" a negative in order to bring out more shadow detail - something I'd quite forgotten about. This, Newman's, is an interesting concept for us to ponder.

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

The Cauquèn comun-Upland Goose-Chloephaga picta is frequent in Patagonia, they  seem quite monogamous,  predominantly you see  couples. The white one is the male. They only feed one at a time, the other bird is on the outlook, here both are looking curiously at the strange guy lying in the grass....  

Hassy, 2/110 + Extender 2x, Portra 400@200

These are staggering! The 3-dimensionality of the images is incredible! It kind of fits in with the Barnett Newman hing, too, insofar as the opportunity to take a picture exists - but the means to do it, the choices we make before we click the shutter, that's what informs the outcome.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NW67 said:

Here are the images from yesterday

Well I had a nightmare with my Plustek scanner............first few runs it was okay both with Vuescan and also with Silver fox. Then it decided to shit itself, making this horrendous noise and basically not working, I tried downloading the latest drivers from Plustek, I rebooted at least 6 times I unplugged it and eventually I hit it........still the same grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrclank clank clank grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway just as well I have a back up plan. I used my Epson 850 with the silver fox software and it did a pretty good job............what do you think?

Neil

Bummer about the Plustek, Neil, but these have worked really nicely, as has your processing. They are excellent pictures, too. The only thing I'd watch is that there seem to be quite a few white dots scattered in the lighter parts of the pictures. Either it was snowing or maybe there were some undissolved bits of powder or something in the chemicals? Does the Silverplus software have an IR dust/scratch filter like digital ICE or something?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica R6 - Elmarit-R 2,8/90 - Neopan Acros100 - Rodinal

Experimenting with Ektachrome E100... Wet Oak Leaves, M4-P Summilux 50/1.4

• Like 13

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

Bummer about the Plustek, Neil, but these have worked really nicely, as has your processing. They are excellent pictures, too. The only thing I'd watch is that there seem to be quite a few white dots scattered in the lighter parts of the pictures. Either it was snowing or maybe there were some undissolved bits of powder or something in the chemicals? Does the Silverplus software have an IR dust/scratch filter like digital ICE or something?

I remember seeing like a sediment in the bottom of the Blix bottle after the Blix process. I bet that is what caused those dots. I will make sure that I shake it up probably before I do the next development. 

Neil

ps yes I used the IR supplement as well. 

Yes, it is the store on 5th Ave., they decorated the wall since my visit in April:

• Like 14