I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Melodious is most definitely the word here. Stravinsky-like, with even a hint of jazz thrown in. A wonderful progression in your plays of transparency and your examinations of the Albers method. This is sublime.

Fun! They capitalized on white in compositions:  Malevich, Kandinsky, and Albers, for starters.  The audacity of white on white in Malevich’s White Square (1918).  The whole Suprematist scheme to launch abstract painting.  What is ironic in my color study is that it reads “abstract,“  but the color fields are common surfaces with texture.  Klaus clued me into a Liesbrock book Josef Albers in America: Works on Paper,  which will arrive tomorrow.   One significance of the work on paper is that it allowed Albers to use color without brushstrokes on canvas. I had a chance to see four Albers paintings on canvas at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art six weeks ago, and I paid particular attention to his brushstrokes: very subtle, emphasizing the color, which was particularly vibrant.  I was hoping that you would pick up on this Tab Timeline in terms of musical notation because I thought that the colors looked more like a  sheet of music,  pairing music and photography as you have mentioned in the past. I can only imagine how Trent Parke’s The Black Rose would play with a film score.  We can only shudder at the thought of Night and Fog directed by Resnais  without Hanns Eisler’s music. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mt Roland Tasmania.  Fuji Venus 800 - probably not the best choice for this 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 17

Finally I used my darkroom today again :) More prints will follow in the next days. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Finally I used my darkroom today again :) More prints will follow in the next days. 

Wow! That looks to be a stunning print, James! What a great souvenir of New York!

• Like 1

Flickr
XP2 HC110(E) X1
  • Like 15

Oh my, oh my, so well done, Rog. I, being as usual ignorant of most things, had never heard of Malevich. Now I am completely hooked so thank you for this take on his Black Cross and sending me in his direction. I read that Malevich felt that the cross symbolised decision, similar to standing at a crossroads deciding where to go. Black and white resonate with me and probably many of you as symbols of good and evil, the ups and downs in life, the Jin and Jang etc. So a black cross or intersection seems to me to speak of a difficult choice, one so complex and severe that one may wish that there were another way instead of only right-left and back-forward. Your Transparent Cross, to me, shows this other way because it implies a third dimension. It is as if we're viewing not a cross but a cubist pyramid from above. And if that is true, well then there actually is such another option. Think outside the box and rather than fall down a rabbit hole, climb up, up away from the harsh reality of the two-dimensional crossroads and see where you go :D

17 hours ago, Ernest said:

Malevich Transparent Cross
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M   E100
Philip's argument on Josef Albers and ethics, well-taken, sent me back to reconsider Malevich's iconic Black Cross (1915) from the perspective of Albers's transparency of opaque colors.

• Like 3

The High Country. 

Mamiya-Six (folder) / Portra 400

• Like 17

Jardin des Tuileries,  Paris

Leica M3,  Elmar50,  TRI-X

• Like 13

Fedoras! Tourists love to buy them at the Amalfi Coast!

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Fujifilm C200

20190512-DSC02887 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

20190512-DSC02891 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, edwardkaraa said:

North of Phuket. Can’t remember the name of the location though. 

It’s Samet Nga Chee in Phang-nga I ride my bicycle there. 

Neil

Am 15.5.2019 um 01:15 schrieb stray cat:

This is a wonderful, wonderful picture, Klaus. It perfectly conveys what strength can be derived from very simple matter, given a good eye and inspired technique. The colors are phenomenal.

Thank you for your generous comment, stray cat!   

• Thanks 1