I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nobody Home

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nobody Home 
Chamonix 8x10 Graphic 360mm HP5+ Developed in D76
Ive shot this place before with both Digital and LF and I just love the way that the LF renders this image compared to digital. Shot at f45 1/125

Finger-pointing.  [Portra 400]

• Like 16

Closed on Sundays. Cambodia. [T-Max 400]

• Like 19

4 hours ago, NW67 said:

Nobody Home

Nobody Home 
Chamonix 8x10 Graphic 360mm HP5+ Developed in D76
Ive shot this place before with both Digital and LF and I just love the way that the LF renders this image compared to digital. Shot at f45 1/125

Hi Neil , glad to hear what you said it's obvious  and that's why I've been called "can's worms" here,

the size is 100 times larger in Tiff in comparison with digital 

Best H

Edited by Doc Henry

14 minutes ago, christoph_d said:

Some of my NY subjects disappeared in a puff of smoke...

M4-P, 50, Ektar100

Love it, Christoph - really great and the colors are fantastic

• Thanks 1

Strong winds from the south! This means surfers gathering on the coast.

Canon A-1, 50/2 FD, Astrum Foto 400

20190407-DSC02517 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 15

A street portrait with Adox Color Implosion for whoever likes Adox Color Implosion 🤣

NYC

M3, 50mm Lux

Edited by A miller
  • Like 19

15 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thanks so much, Rog. This is the side of an earthworking machine that I thought looked quite "painterly", and in fact Cy Twombly's swirls have come to mind at times. I called it colourblind because at the time I was having a bit of a conscious break from black and white and wanted to photograph things just for their colour. Your (among many others) Marcello, I'm So Bored, Josef Albers Hopscotch 1923, Dark Games, and the Bunker Flashes variations (how is one supposed to pick a favourite from among these?) and of course your referencing Albers and so many great artists such as Rothko, Haas and so on gave me the inspiration to go looking for photographs from that series - so many thanks and full credit goes to you and your superb work!

Yes, and thanks for the notes on your backroom zigging and zagging to change the pace of the vision to keep it fresh. Surprises are always waiting in the morgue. It can be the scene of the ambush, that aha! moment, when a photograph nudges into a new light, looking at it in a different context, as you point out. The enticing diptychs start creating their own narratives as they animate new life from the morgue. That dance between black and white, then color, then black and white informs and surprises, not just to pique color acuity and awareness but to give color value some respect. Sometimes, treat color like black and white, I remind myself.

Cheers,
Rog

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, A miller said:

A street portrait with Adox Color Implosion for whoever likes Adox Color Implosion 🤣

NYC

M3, 50mm Lux

I am at a loss to think of anyone, offhand, who would succumb to the temporary insanity of giving any validity to an entirely experimental Farbfilm mit unvorhersehbar with "exploding colors, bursting red, and toxic grain," unless the day pass out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest never got punched. I mean, Color Implosion! We're talking ticking time bomb here, Area 51, nuclear winter. The bloke's Burberry is a dead giveaway. "I'm not lookin' at you, man, without my Ray Bans, otherwise I would melt your eyeballs with envy. You like Adox? I got some people."

Toxic grain! Yes!

Now, I am plotting carefully a scenario that involves Fujicolor Natura 1600 a certain angel airlifted to my helipad. No, strike the helipad. I'm getting carried away. Nurse Ratched? Who's Nurse Ratched? She's got a prescription of ADOX for toxic grain?

Edited by Ernest
H
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AntonioF said:

Anita Ekberg's Twister pad?

Love the way you think! Gonna get a white kitty, now, for some retakes of La Dolce Vita.

Edited by Ernest
La Dolce Vita
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Approaching, Still
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
Portra 400

• Like 13

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Thanks for the tip of the hat, and the hat I am thinking of here belongs to Fellini and Italian cinema. Marcello, I'm So Bored is a student film that John Milius co-directed and George Lucas edited when they were students at USC. I saw the send-up film poking fun at Italian cinema with other student films in 1966. I started playing with Albers transparency ideas for color fields, so I went for the carnival palette and was thinking Fellini with Nino Rota playing in the background, even though the incomparable 8-1/2 is in black and white. It's Marcello Mastroianni, of course.

BTW I posted another version on Diptychs and Triptychs that plays different tricks to Rota's film scores.

Thank you Ernest for the additional information. Of course -Marcello calls for Mastroianni-but I thought it was an insider joke and dismissed the association. Found the film on u-tube and will watch it. My fantasy about your color field Marcello, I'm So Bored was: Young Piet, after having won the All-Netherland- Hopscotch-Competition runs home, takes his water colors and sets out to design the new Standard Hopscotch Competition Field... a pattern which is later approved by Juppi Albers and added to  the Bauhaus kindergarten playground..  

To add a personal thought: photography in its best moments for me is all about colors and/or shades, proportions, shapes and how they carry the mood or the idea. So when looking at your beautiful art, I find all of this --except the "pictorialistic" form. I feel  that your color fields are  transcending  photography to a different level and always fun and a pleasure to look at.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ernest said:

I am at a loss to think of anyone, offhand, who would succumb to the temporary insanity of giving any validity to an entirely experimental Farbfilm mit unvorhersehbar with "exploding colors, bursting red, and toxic grain," unless the day pass out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest never got punched. I mean, Color Implosion! We're talking ticking time bomb here, Area 51, nuclear winter. The bloke's Burberry is a dead giveaway. "I'm not lookin' at you, man, without my Ray Bans, otherwise I would melt your eyeballs with envy. You like Adox? I got some people."

Toxic grain! Yes!

Now, I am plotting carefully a scenario that involves Fujicolor Natura 1600 a certain angel airlifted to my helipad. No, strike the helipad. I'm getting carried away. Nurse Ratched? Who's Nurse Ratched? She's got a prescription of ADOX for toxic grain?

Very funny, Rog.  I think your coined phrase "toxic grain" may well have been a better label for this film.  :)   That dude had no idea what he was in for 🤣

3 hours ago, Tmx said:

R7, Elmarit 35mm, Agfa APX 100, Xtol 1+1

Bavarian Alpine Foreland

wow, this is just perfect in every way imaginable.  Bravo!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you Ernest for the additional information. Of course -Marcello calls for Mastroianni-but I thought it was an insider joke and dismissed the association. Found the film on u-tube and will watch it. My fantasy about your color field Marcello, I'm So Bored was: Young Piet, after having won the All-Netherland- Hopscotch-Competition runs home, takes his water colors and sets out to design the new Standard Hopscotch Competition Field... a pattern which is later approved by Juppi Albers and added to  the Bauhaus kindergarten playground..  

To add a personal thought: photography in its best moments for me is all about colors and/or shades, proportions, shapes and how they carry the mood or the idea. So when looking at your beautiful art, I find all of this --except the "pictorialistic" form. I feel  that your color fields are  transcending  photography to a different level and always fun and a pleasure to look at.  

Your production of The Standard Hopscotch Competition Field gets a well-deserved greenlight. Very, very funny.  Isn’t hopscotch amazing? Let’s think of a kid’s game that doesn’t cost any money or require special equipment and can be played anywhere you can draw some squares on the floor or the ground.  I think you were on to your next film idea with the trees and a voiceover. Reminds me of Chris Marker, a film narrative with nothing but still images and voiceover with a plaintive music score.  Thanks for your generous take on my work. I appreciate the compliment. 

Cheers, Rog

2 hours ago, A miller said:

Very funny, Rog.  I think your coined phrase "toxic grain" may well have been a better label for this film.  :)   That dude had no idea what he was in for 🤣

Oh, I would like to poach that term “toxic grain,“ but ADOX has it bagged. Right on the label: “imploding colors, bursting red, toxic grain.”  And in microscopic font is the following disclaimer: 

“Experimental color film with unpredictable results! This product will be replaced if defective  in manufacture, labeling, or packaging. Except for such replacement, this product is sold without other warranty or liability, unless malice or gross negligence on our part is involved.”

Love the bit about malice?  That’s what you get with toxic grain, and here all along I thought Starbucks had the market cornered on ☢️ toxic grain for some dark brew out of Sumatra. 🤪

Rog 🎬

• Haha 3