I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 5.4.2019 um 00:59 schrieb stray cat:

A wonderful series, Marc. You have found a model who has qualities of both Brigitte Bardot and Jean Shrimpton, and your style here is very much evocative of David Bailey. These things combined, along with your already well-established talent for fashion, lead one to be very excited about where you will go with this style. Have you more from your street walk?

I am very happy that you like it Phil! You are right, she is really very elegant, I love her style on the photos. I have some more, thanks for asking!

Am 5.4.2019 um 02:34 schrieb sblitz:

I like it too, and it pushes well, even 2 stops, but I prefer it at box. As for your subject, well she would make any film speed shine!!!! 🙂  great job as always

Good to know Steve and thanks a lot for your kinds words!

Am 5.4.2019 um 03:56 schrieb Ernest:

I think you have a film working here that would catch the eye of Jean-Luc Godard.

Cut and print 

I will print it for sure Ernest and thanks for the note with JL Godar, his films are really very special!

Am 5.4.2019 um 06:29 schrieb Bateleur:

Great series and a fabulous model. You have both managed to create a natural style. Looking forward from your photo walk.

Thanks a lot!

vor 19 Stunden schrieb A miller:

L

Wow, Marc.  I am floored by these latest photos.  This one gets the crown from me.  So beautiful and dynamic.  Her expression of surprise - like you found her...framed in the circle.  Wow.

Thanks a lot Adam! This is also one of my favorite photos, it reminds me on the Sci Fi movies from the 70-ies..

vor 19 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Continuing my pursuit of good NYC skyline panoramas, here's one from a mature sunrise, with the new sun reflecting off of the buildings and blue gases from the post-dawn/pre-sunrise atmosphere still in the sky.  It was a super long exposure, and i am impressed at how little color shift there was with the Ektar.

Ektar 6x17

90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

The refelecting sun is the cherry on top!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Paris - X-panded series.

X-PAN 11 / 40mm / Trix -400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

Marcello, I'm So Bored
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
E100

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Am 5.4.2019 um 01:59 schrieb 45govt:

Hello

I have a number of rolls of the old Scala left.

The only place I know who is processing it is DR-5

http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/dr5chrome.html

This is one from years ago, Pasadena Bridge, Hasselblad, Scala

Well exposed, perfect contrast, nice proportions--very good ! I like these deep, but structured shadows. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ernest:

Marcello, I'm So Bored
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
E100

I love the pattern and these colors. and yes, we are all bored. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, gbealnz said:

Action on the Grand Canal

503CXi with 120 Planar

Portra 400

Gary

Gary. This an eye-catching capture. Love the cross-processing effect and the Blad signature.  

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, A miller said:

Continuing my pursuit of good NYC skyline panoramas, here's one from a mature sunrise, with the new sun reflecting off of the buildings and blue gases from the post-dawn/pre-sunrise atmosphere still in the sky.  It was a super long exposure, and i am impressed at how little color shift there was with the Ektar.

Ektar 6x17

90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

Lovely panoramic photo Adam. I seem New yolk 🗽 is about to rest after long days Chaotic and energetic awake for the rest of the days. 😉

On 4/5/2019 at 9:38 PM, Ernest said:

Josef Albers Hopscotch 1923
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
E100 & Portra 400

Plying the imaginary, the salvaged Albers Hopscotch for the children's Bauhaus playground (1923-1926).

Nice playing with colors Earnest, Love it. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Well exposed, perfect contrast, nice proportions--very good ! I like these deep, but structured shadows. 

On 4/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, 45govt said:

Hello

I have a number of rolls of the old Scala left.

The only place I know who is processing it is DR-5

http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/dr5chrome.html

This is one from years ago, Pasadena Bridge, Hasselblad, Scala

Read more  

This is really cool, thanks for sharing your Scala!! 

Thanks KlausW and Adam

Don

• Like 2

Approaching
M-A Thambar-M & APO-Summicron-M 50mm
ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

I love the pattern and these colors. and yes, we are all bored. 

Thanks for the tip of the hat, and the hat I am thinking of here belongs to Fellini and Italian cinema. Marcello, I'm So Bored is a student film that John Milius co-directed and George Lucas edited when they were students at USC. I saw the send-up film poking fun at Italian cinema with other student films in 1966. I started playing with Albers transparency ideas for color fields, so I went for the carnival palette and was thinking Fellini with Nino Rota playing in the background, even though the incomparable 8-1/2 is in black and white. It's Marcello Mastroianni, of course.

BTW I posted another version on Diptychs and Triptychs that plays different tricks to Rota's film scores.

Edited by Ernest
afterthought
  • Like 3

Shot in Sydney. 

Hasselblad 501CM, 50MM FLE, Fujifilm Pro 400

Regards,

Ramesh

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, stray cat said:

colourblind 2012

Canon A1, FDn 50mm f1.4, Ektachrome E100VS

Oh, my, just a little more than a drool factor allowed in public. WOW! This is that end of the spectral scale that gets Haas, Leiter, Eggleston, et al seeing RED (and all the cadmiums out there from yellow through orange and jump out of the space station red). Forget about deciphering calligraphy, love the loopy swirls playing in our rectangular whatever, calling up Cy Twombly writ large. So cool, Phil. You mean by "colourblind" the red/green affliction?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Oh, my, just a little more than a drool factor allowed in public. WOW! This is that end of the spectral scale that gets Haas, Leiter, Eggleston, et al seeing RED (and all the cadmiums out there from yellow through orange and jump out of the space station red). Forget about deciphering calligraphy, love the loopy swirls playing in our rectangular whatever, calling up Cy Twombly writ large. So cool, Phil. You mean by "colourblind" the red/green affliction?

Thanks so much, Rog. This is the side of an earthworking machine that I thought looked quite "painterly", and in fact Cy Twombly's swirls have come to mind at times. I called it colourblind because at the time I was having a bit of a conscious break from black and white and wanted to photograph things just for their colour. Your (among many others) Marcello, I'm So Bored, Josef Albers Hopscotch 1923, Dark Games, and the Bunker Flashes variations (how is one supposed to pick a favourite from among these?) and of course your referencing Albers and so many great artists such as Rothko, Haas and so on gave me the inspiration to go looking for photographs from that series - so many thanks and full credit goes to you and your superb work!

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1