Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Am 29.3.2019 um 12:20 schrieb Doc Henry:

Poppies for Marc (MT) and for all Poppies lovers in FILM

Kodak Portra 160-Leica M7-Apo Summicron 90 Asph - tripod

Best   H 

I love it: the corresponding  and a little bit desaturated colours, the blurred background and the fine structure of the barley; last not least  the motion make it really satisfying to look at. 

Am 29.3.2019 um 17:01 schrieb A miller:

I came across this guy singing to himself in Greenwich Village.  I placed him in front of this nearby wall as I thought it would make an amusing photo 😀

Portra 400 

M7, 28mm elmarit pre-asph

it really is amusing...

On 3/29/2019 at 8:40 PM, Ernest said:

Nick's Bag 4 Adam
M-A Macro-Elmar-M
ADOX Color Implosion

You're dead on, Adam: the bag itself was carrying a tad much.

LOVE IT!  

On 3/29/2019 at 9:46 PM, Cyril Jayant said:

😀 Shot Adam! 

*If your photo is not good you not close enough! * I read somewhere..   But when you are too close the photo is too great but it is with a great cost and a life and a  risk as a photographer. When we read this photo first thing comes to mind is it worth taking a risk? As a photographer, it is a great thrill to look back in your image and at the same time think about the moment how you made it. I have gone little out but seems you have done this while the Motorcyclist in motion and my story connect to it. I like the close details on his face and that is the story in this photo. 

Sincere thanks, Cyril.  "Close up" is pretty much what I gravitate to - it's the vantage point that interests me the most.  As for the physical risk aspect, I wouldn't worry b/c, as I've mentioned here before, I was an offensive lineman on my college football team - and I'm also a lawyer 😉 (although that probably increases my risk 😂)

19 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Clearly, the (very special) Force is with Fedora man! Great capture.

Thanks, Christoph.  Hope you guys got him ok and it was a real pleasure to see you again!

19 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Very nice, and a good colour match. It is also a relief to see that at least some of Fedora-mans subjects smile back at him when he takes their picture :) 

Ha ha I really wanted him to smile big but I think he was insecure about his teeth 😊

12 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Blad 203 fe / 60-120 mm Zoom Blad/ tri-X

This isn stunning Cyril.  Once again a very authentic spin on an iconic symbol.

10 hours ago, Ernest said:

Kenneth Anger 1976
Nikon F Nikkor 85mm
Kodak ECN-2 RGB

Very cool, Rog.  

9 hours ago, Sailronin said:

Rolleiflex 6008 w/Zeiss 50mm Distagon on Kodak Ektar 100

Love it, Dave 👍

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

it really is amusing...

Thanks, Klaus 😊

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

harvester

HB,  40mm, Scala @200

I don´t know if anyone can relate to my fascination for this kind of ( still working ) machinery--but I just had to get out the  Distagon and try a shot ... 

Wow, fantastic rendition and image.  I have to try this film

2 hours ago, benqui said:

Made some experiments with water drops, this one was one of my favorites.

M6, Tmax 400 pushed up to 800, Apo 90

This is fantastic, Marc.  Love the outside-the-box rendition.

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 3:34 PM, Ernest said:

For crying out loud, I want to cry out loud, this is so hauntingly provocative; how do I anchor this, the redundancy of the arc of the sea wall leading to the head of a solitary man, a 35mm perspective, for crying out loud, so Kafkaesque in broad daylight! How did they find me, here? I'm innocent. I can testify in eight languages, most, convincingly. But, what's Anna doing with them. My papers are in order, but they're in the hotel room, fourth floor, corner window view. This isn't fair. So much DNA in this photographer's instinct. So much DNA. All right, it's all fiction, but fiction counts when nothing else does. His name is Boris, and that's not fiction. He imported used Rolls Royces and his mechanic got them running for resale. That's where Anna came into the scene with a Rolleiflex that supposedly belonged to Eva Braun. It was a curious lie, but what else could Boris believe, parading in Speedos. When he was twenty, he could run a mile in just over five minutes. He wonders how well he can do today. Not the right shoes. Sometimes, nothing comes together because it's not supposed to, he guesses.

For crying out loud, Phil. It's not supposed to be fair.

Did it ever strike you, that Antonio's name only lacks an ~ni at the end, and we have the cinematic master himself - not gone, but alive and well in Southern Italy. I desperately hope Antonio is able sometime to fulfill his destiny and explore those glorious islands such as Lisca Bianca because his eye, as evidenced by Taranto (above), would do the scenery proud.

As for Boris, all I can say is that the hotel room on the fourth floor in the corner, where his documents are secured, might hold other surprises... It is rumoured that not only Sandro and Claudia, but a certain Anna might have been ensconced there...

On 3/30/2019 at 5:28 AM, Bateleur said:

A moment, two people engaging and a camera to seal the union and the romantic in me sees more than I should, her engaging expression, your thoughtful composition and I am happy. 

I hope I'm not going to ruin those romantic notions, Charles, it makes for a nice scenario. However...

On 3/30/2019 at 7:07 AM, Ernest said:

I’ll bet your uncle (fig)ured that you would stop by to (fig)ure it out with a photographic (fig)uration. Bravo for figs.

(Fig)uratively thinking, I (fig)ure this is all a (fig)ment of your imagination, Rog. Indeed, I think I'll (fig)ht my resistance and eat a (fig) now!

On 3/30/2019 at 9:33 AM, djmay said:

The clouds were covering the mountains during a hike with a monorail view camera. As I was hiking, I noticed the clouds moving. I quickly assembly the camera, tripod, etc. just as the clouds parted momentarily. A moment later all was covered again.

This is an amazing, wonderful scene that amply rewards the obvious effort it took to make it. Sensational, DJ.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:46 PM, Cyril Jayant said:

😀 Shot Adam! 

🤔 Lovely.... 

*If your photo is not good you not close enough! * I read somewhere..   But when you are too close the photo is too great but it is with a great cost and a life and a  risk as a photographer. When we read this photo first thing comes to mind is it worth taking a risk? As a photographer, it is a great thrill to look back in your image and at the same time think about the moment how you made it. I have gone little out but seems you have done this while the Motorcyclist in motion and my story connect to it. I like the close details on his face and that is the story in this photo. 

Very nice 

Lovely Vintage look, Stray cat. It goes with quality processing as for "Victorian  High country"

Beautiful continuous Subtle tones! Lovely.

Thanks so much, Cyril.

20 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Excellent; victorian only in the choice of toning. Good old Agfapan days... 

Rgds C.

Thank you sincerely, Christoph. I, too, miss the classic Agfapans - glorious films.

20 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Henry, you are the master of the poppies! 

We could have a soundtrack for Henry - "Master of Poppies" to the tune of Metallica's "Master of Puppets"!

4 hours ago, chrism said:

Long time no see. It has been a very interesting winter - an adventure with a stray cat led to huge lymph nodes which looked like a relapse of the CLL, but which, I was certain, were bartonellosis ("cat scratch fever"). They have become much less tender and quite a bit smaller after the appropriate antibiotics, so I may yet chisel away at a few more of the films in my freezer. Let's celebrate with some still life/still alive flowers (500cm, Distagon 4/50, XP2 Super @ISO100, HC-110, X1 scans, cropped for printing):

Coleus by chrism229, on Flickr

Strelitzia by chrism229, on Flickr

Welcome back, Chris, and I plead NOT GUILTY! Must have been an imposter stray cat! Hope you are well over your ills soon, and thank you for these beautiful pictures.

3 hours ago, benqui said:

Made some experiments with water drops, this one was one of my favorites.

M6, Tmax 400 pushed up to 800, Apo 90

Marc, you just go from strength to strength. I hope you'll keep experimenting with water droplets and all manner of things, because this is drop-dead sensational.

Edited by stray cat