Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Cyril Jayant said:

I Love the fine art type processing Earnest, It really goes with the Mirror image too.  It gives the viewer's eyes to find something interesting in the photo. If a photo opens to debate or different reading it is then always an interesting photo for me. 

Yes, playing with the "mirror image" notion of photography; is it a question of mirror or window that has been asked for the last fifty years? Phil will know. Here, I was entertaining the notion of lingua franca, a language that bridges many cultures, but since I included a typeset that excluded so many languages, lingua franca would be misleading. Still, I like the idea. This work can be "read" in four orientations, so it doesn't have a correct up or down. I think it was Turner whose sublime painting was so abstract it was hung upside down: "Another critic felt that the hanging committee must have hung Turner's picture upside down, for he could make nothing of it--which was probably true." I seem to recall a scene like this in Timothy Spall's film Mr. Turner.

Thanks for bringing up the mirror reading.

Cheers,
Rog

Your Eiffel chrome is inspired. Bravo!

12 hours ago, atournas said:

Abandoned building.

This is simply beautiful. Love the colors. Would you remember what film did you use?

3 hours ago, jmahto said:

This is simply beautiful. Love the colors. Would you remember what film did you use?

Thank you for your kind comment. That's a scan from a badly developed film, Ektachrome E100. The colors are somewhat misleading, though. The scan's been retouched through a Nik filter, for the original was disappointingly dull. I stopped shooting color film after such results years ago.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:13 PM, atournas said:

Granite slopes.

Amazing, Paul.  

On 3/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, Cyril Jayant said:

Metro Parisien 

M6/ 50mm/ trix 400

I LOVE This one, Cyril.  It has such as timeless look - really fascinating

10 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

A jewel found in a puddle. 

M6./ 35mm Summicron/ Kodachrome

( I really missed this LEICACHROME COLOUR ) 😣

Another very cool photo - I love the authenticity 

9 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Beautiful capture Adam and I love the Classic look.

😀

Many thanks 😊

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Holkham, Norfolk.

Cambo Wide 470

Ilford Delta 100

6x12 rfh

vey lovely, Steve.

15 hours ago, A miller said:

Using the morning fog as a prop, I was going for a timeless rendition.  But then the NYPD boat showed up and poured cold water on that idea😂 

Ilford Delta 100 (6x17)

90mm Schnieder Super Angulon XL

Beautiful.

On 24 mars 2019 at 4:20 PM, Cyril Jayant said:

Tri-x m6/summicron

Very nice work.. Is it film or paper scan?

On 18 mars 2019 at 11:19 PM, Rennrocky said:

Velothon Leicaflex Mot Elmarit 135

This is the most beautiful part of series.

On 17 mars 2019 at 10:59 AM, atournas said:

Archival Bureau. (Retrieved from a deteriorated neg, but it's worth while!)

Such shots are precious for the past. Liked it much.

Am 25.3.2019 um 01:10 schrieb stray cat:

This is most certainly amongst your very best work, Marc.

Thank you very much! It is also one of my favorite photos. I like the strong contrast between lights and shadows

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Wayne said:

Thank you, Roger.

While recently wandering around an old barn in an effort to exercise my long neglected, ancient Welta Weltur 4.5x6  folder, I experienced an outbreak of my inner Roger.

SK Xenar 75/2.8, FP4

I love it when a photograph becomes a sort of void, its simplicity makes it possible to sort of fall out of your normal, complex, distracted self and appreciate sensation at more base levels........make you better realize joy and wonder, the miracle, of existence. That is what your photos do for me, Roger.

Best,

Wayne

First, I appreciate your charitable comments, but it's really the benefit of this thread that gives us a bounce on the trampoline; we all take off in a unique trajectory, suspended for a time in thin air, then come hurtling back, courtesy of gravity assist, hello Galileo on the way down, ready for another jolly bouce, each different from the last. It's this bouncing around that gives us a new perspective each time. You are so prolific, it's so engaging watching your views of the planet slingshot from cityscapes to suburbanscapes with a myriad of cameras sitting on your shelf, just murmuring, "Pick me, pick me. I want to go out today and look at the world! Just feed me some film and I'll show your what we can do." Nice to have so many friends, a polyglot lot, at that. (Alliteration, thanks to Phil.)

Second, this is a casually arresting construction, which is the appropriate noun because we're talking about corrugated steel, which has such character, no matter the age, patina, or rust, and your rendering, which is so compositionally geometric. Why does Quonset hut snap to mind? This is a barn, but really none of that heritage is evident. Just the triangles, parallel lines, steel and wood. Don't we just appreciate the side-by-side L letters in the word "parallel?" It doesn't really work so neatly in caps, though: PARALLEL. I digress. Back to the trampoline. Triangles are always challenging. In cinema, the Dutch tilt, camera tilted left or right, and notice that in editing a Dutch tilt in one direction is then countered with a Dutch tilt in the opposite direction. If memory serves me (not always, unfortunately), I am thinking of Carol Reed's The Third Man. Coming back to the trampoline, the diagonal corrugated steel is in perspective, providing a sense of depth contrasted with the flatness of the wedge of steel and wood. I shot some corrugated roofing of a very old collapsing building in Hanapepe, Kauai, that I haven't scanned, yet. I've done some diagonal typeset studies, too, but I don't really know how that's going to come together. What I am saying is that you've got my Tesla coil generating some sparks. Thanks so much for that!

Cheers,
Rog

Edited by Ernest
trampoline bounce

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

Thank you, Roger.

While recently wandering around an old barn in an effort to exercise my long neglected, ancient Welta Weltur 4.5x6  folder, I experienced an outbreak of my inner Roger.

SK Xenar 75/2.8, FP4

I love it when a photograph becomes a sort of void, its simplicity makes it possible to sort of fall out of your normal, complex, distracted self and appreciate sensation at more base levels........make you better realize joy and wonder, the miracle, of existence. That is what your photos do for me, Roger.

Best,

Wayne

great one, Wayne.  A lot of nothing yet everything one could want.

8 hours ago, saiche said:

Beautiful.

Thank you! 

13 hours ago, Wayne said:

Thank you, Roger.

SK Xenar 75/2.8, FP4

Best,

Wayne

I agree with Rog and Adam - this is special, even by your lofty standards Wayne. Do I detect something new happening here, too, a more studied graphic approach. But no, thinking back, you've been heading down that road for some time now - this is just its purest form to date. And extra bonus points because you got Rog to mention "The Third Man", one of the all-time greatest movies. And your words about photographs - how Rog's work on you - I love it when a photograph becomes a sort of void, its simplicity makes it possible to sort of fall out of your normal, complex, distracted self and appreciate sensation at more base levels........make you better realize joy and wonder, the miracle, of existence - are just so well considered. Thanks so much for this post, it has made my day.