I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, stray cat said:

...the older man speaking, his vast wisdom suggested by the books behind him - the younger man lower, in deference, listening even as he performs his art...

Thank you very much, Phil - You read the situation well. I didn't appreciate his efforts to impart his wisdom until I was a long-time adult. He is the one who taught me about photography, developing, and printing as a child, and I let it lapse for several decades. I am glad that he got to see my interest rekindled before he boarded the flight.

• Like 2

I think all of us here are glad of that, too, Eoin - as will be your daughter and other important people in your life who will benefit from a treasured record - as well as the valuable time spent together in gaining them. Because, as your history with your Dad attests, it's never just about the pictures, is it?

• Like 3

On 3/19/2019 at 10:42 AM, Tmx said:

500c/m, 80mm, Rollei RPX 100, Rodinal

😀 and organic Photo ,

On 3/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, A miller said:

On the subject of schmootz, another from Schmootz Street, NYC :)

Portra 400 pushed, M-A, 28mm elmarit pre-asph

Not sure anyone else seen this one. This is the situation and moments that everyone who walked in this time-lapse of the moment or another dimension of exsistance, without seeing exactly what is it. Those who participated and represented it without knowing the moment and going through the battles fear, joy, pleasure, the struggle will make them blind. This photo can represent anything in day-to-day life and a lot of people can read photos easily but not a lot can read a scene and draw it at the same time. I think Adam You have a very developed eye for details. I like how you see through the lens ...😉

On 3/19/2019 at 12:05 PM, EoinC said:

Daughter in her new colours (or lack thereof).

EOS 1V w/ Otus 85 - Tri-X...

A018 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Nice and sharp. But without that contact, this photo doesn't exist for me.  🤭

On 3/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, Keith (M) said:

West Kennet Avenue (Neolithic Standing Stones). M7, 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH, Acros 100, Rodinal.

Lovely Photo Keith. 😀

On 3/19/2019 at 3:07 PM, Tmx said:

500c/m, 120mm Planar, HP5+, Moersch Eco

😉     This is a great monochrome and this photo needs a lot of controls and perfections to get to this level. It is not the first photo of you Tmax most of your photos have the same DNA  😉 

On 3/19/2019 at 7:00 PM, Sparkassenkunde said:

For all color film lovers:

Ricoh GR1 - Cinestill 50D

Thank you indeed  😀

On 3/19/2019 at 8:47 AM, stray cat said:

rose 2019

Canon F1N, FD 35mm f2 SSC, Agfa Vista 400

😁 Very nice Stray cat, well done, and you have beautifully used the natural light to paint this in Vintage colors.

22 hours ago, Ernest said:

Stripe Up the Band
M-A APO-Summicron-M
E100

Very good composition again Earnest!    😀

6 hours ago, benqui said:

Lapland, in the North of Sweden

Plaubel Makina 67, Portra 400

Nice One benqui!  I can feel the atmosphere here . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thai Lilly

Chamonix 8x10 HP5+ developed in LC29 and shot at f7 1/60 sec

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, stray cat said:

Flag Girl, 1990s

Nikon N8008s, AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 IF-ED, Ektachrome

Well, Phil, this is just one of those images that's set to auto-replay in my visual archive with its enigmatic, strong imagery: the starkly silhouetted figure that anchors the diaphanous veils, flags of nations, blurring the colors of their borders so that metaphorically there's a confluence of cultures backlit in the setting, or rising, sunlight. The transparency of these flag colors constrasted against the woman's sculpture opaque form defines a moment that alludes to an indeterminacy, yet the promise it may snap back to determinate real time. One of those images that is set to auto-replay, the symphony of the visual archive.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Well, Phil, this is just one of those images that's set to auto-replay in my visual archive with its enigmatic, strong imagery: the starkly silhouetted figure that anchors the diaphanous veils, flags of nations, blurring the colors of their borders so that metaphorically there's a confluence of cultures backlit in the setting, or rising, sunlight. The transparency of these flag colors constrasted against the woman's sculpture opaque form defines a moment that alludes to an indeterminacy, yet the promise it may snap back to determinate real time. One of those images that is set to auto-replay, the symphony of the visual archive.

Rog, thank you so much, sincerely. I really value incredibly your thoughts about images, and the many roads one's mind can take as a result of thinking about context, and importantly what the image alludes to outside the structure of the frame. And I have you and Steve R to thank for allowing me to see metaphorical ~tyches in some of the single photographs that perhaps I'd overlooked in the past (of which this is an example). It has really broadened my outlook just as considering your well-chosen and studied words enriches my understanding of images - even my own; maybe even especially those. I hope one day to get an insight into how you come up with the incredible "assemblages" (that's how I think of them, I hope that's accurate) that you produce - to me they appear as a result of a strange, mysterious alchemy. Thank you again.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ernest said:

Raspberry Night No. 8 Polyptych
M-A APO-Summilux-M 50mm
E100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thinking further on Rog's "assemblages" such as Raspberry Night No. 8, there is so much that sneaks up into your consciousness the more you view various iterations. One such thing is the role played by texture. In one sense, it's a photograph ("no it's not" said little Nicola "it's a tableau or an artwork or an image or...") so the texture is illusory - only a two-dimensional representation of texture. Yet, because I think of the context in which we view it, its texture seems hyper-real - which, in a sense, it is, because the picture/tableau/whatever is an assembled work of motifs taken directly from the "real" world - walls and footpaths and what-have-you. The "texture" is, in effect, the only real thing about the "photograph" because the rest is the result of the artist assembling disparate elements into a coherent, and aesthetically pleasing, whole. Other elements - the composition, shading, the perception of depth and so on - the choices made by the artist - lead us to view this as a meritorious work that stands very much on its own - a monochromatic color field, a statement of classic art theory; this picture serves many intents, as does the rest of Rog's anthology of assemblages, ~tyches. I can only imagine that a well-compiled and curated exhibition, or a book, of these works would be remarkable. Perhaps, with a bit of encouraging nudging in Rog's direction, some day  we might see something like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atournas said:

What a way to capture an image with limited tones!!! This is some advantageous on a grainy texture. When it's part of the story it doesn't exist or distract the image. Just a wonderful photo. 

12 hours ago, NW67 said:

Thai Lilly

Chamonix 8x10 HP5+ developed in LC29 and shot at f7 1/60 sec

I am a fan of large format and this a majestic portrait of this orchid and very well composed and arranged. Lovey work NW67

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 7:52 PM, Cyril Jayant said:

Wordless photo Adam. "Adam was here type" this lighting always favors you wonderfully, and the colors as well very dramatic. Well done Adam!  

Thanks, Cyril 😃  With this strong low light, in many ways people's chests and backs are like mirrors 😃

On 3/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, EoinC said:

Fedora-Man... Master of the decisive moment!

Thanks, Eoin 😊

23 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

Not sure anyone else seen this one. This is the situation and moments that everyone who walked in this time-lapse of the moment or another dimension of exsistance, without seeing exactly what is it. Those who participated and represented it without knowing the moment and going through the battles fear, joy, pleasure, the struggle will make them blind. This photo can represent anything in day-to-day life and a lot of people can read photos easily but not a lot can read a scene and draw it at the same time. I think Adam You have a very developed eye for details. I like how you see through the lens ...😉

Sincere thanks for that, Cyril.   It is true what you say about standing in a place and taking it all in with as broad a peripheral view as possible.  It will all get captured in the frame so we might as well pay attention to as much of it as we can before snapping the shutter! 😃

16 hours ago, atournas said:

Silhouettes.

Fascinating, Paul.  Love it!

9 hours ago, Cyril Jayant said:

One of my experimental photo from my older Archives.

Silver gelating emulsion  Photo/ Selenium toned/ printed on Berger, Bariata- fiber base Paper.

Camera M6/50mm/Tri-X 400

wow, a timeless view of a charming city.  I love the film aesthetic.  Bravo!

4 hours ago, Kleinkamera said:

Art Deco theater

500C / 60mm / Provia 100

Totally love the strong colors and contrast.  Well done!

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

Streetlights

Fuji GSW690III, Agfa Vista 200

Good one, Wayne.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1