I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 21 Stunden schrieb A miller:

you tamed it well, James.  It is lovely.  Did you refrigerate the Cinestill before or after using it?

For this particular roll I can't say it for sure, but I usually put my film stock to the fridge the day it arrives at my home. Sometimes though, I get some rolls, put them in my photo bag and forget about them. If I remember correctly, the roll might have put aside for half a year at room temperature... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

For this particular roll I can't say it for sure, but I usually put my film stock to the fridge the day it arrives at my home. Sometimes though, I get some rolls, put them in my photo bag and forget about them. If I remember correctly, the roll might have put aside for half a year at room temperature... 

I have a sneaking suspicion that the cinestill films do NOT like refrigeration.   I store all of my films in the frig and have way more than my share of schmootz.   I am willing to bet a lolipop that this is what causes - or at least significantly contributes to - Cinestill schmootz 

• Thanks 2

vor 19 Stunden schrieb benqui:

Stop it! The more I see your photos, the more my GAS arises for the GR 1. Ahhh what a perfect travel camera!

Says the man who comes around with the Makina 67, thus making my bunch of point&shoots look small and toyish. Joke aside - the Ricoh GR1 series is great fun, if you can live with its downsides, like vanishing lcd and other flaws that could lead to a nice but worthless paperweight. Though my attempts in finding someone who might repair my GR1s were to no avail so far, I keep on hoping for the miracle of reviving this second unit. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

And I keep on posting till the end of this thread :)

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

vor 1 Minute schrieb A miller:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the cinestill films do NOT like refrigeration.   I store all of my films in the frig and have way more than my share of schmootz.   I am willing to bet a lolipop that this is what causes - or at least significantly contributes to - Cinestill schmootz 

I remember you writing about this suspicion before. Maybe I should give it a try the next time I stock on film supplies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A miller said:

perhaps it's not the refrigeration itself, but more of the condensation that may form once the film is removed from refrigeration?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi film friends.   Well...I guess it was bound to happen at some point; I botched my first roll during development.   I processed a roll of TriX in HC-110 and the entire roll came out as if I shot it with my lens cap on ( which I didn't).  I ended up with a long, clear, strip of film and assume this was due to expired developer.   Can someone confirm, this has never happened to me?  Thanks!

• Like 1

EOS 1V w/ ZE135 - Tri-X...

A016 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, MT0227 said:

Hi film friends.   Well...I guess it was bound to happen at some point; I botched my first roll during development.   I processed a roll of TriX in HC-110 and the entire roll came out as if I shot it with my lens cap on ( which I didn't).  I ended up with a long, clear, strip of film and assume this was due to expired developer.   Can someone confirm, this has never happened to me?  Thanks!

Welcome to the club, of which I think I may be Grand Master. If, when viewing against light, there is no indication of anything at all, I think it more likely that the film was not exposed (or the fixer wiped the slate clean) than that the developer had died.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MT0227 said:

I had a similar experience, although I was experimenting, with 510 Pyro. It was related to fact that I did not develop long enough, i.e. too short a time or too dilute solution. HC-110 has a pretty long shelf life. I have had my bottle for over two years with result that it worked just as well last week as it did when it was fresh. Also it could be related to underexposure. Was you camera equipped with auto meter? Meter failure? Shutter speed problem? I would bet against there being a problem with the HC-110.

I am constantly experimenting, and screw things almost routinely. My guess would be underexposure.

Best,

Wayne

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:16 AM, Doc Henry said:

Glad see you back Eoin  with this new and nice cycling photos series

Is your daughter there ?

Best  H

One of daughter, from a couple of years ago, before she moved to NZ.

EOS 1v w/ ZE135 - Tri-X...

A017 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 18

1 hour ago, EoinC said:

Welcome to the club, of which I think I may be Grand Master. If, when viewing against light, there is no indication of anything at all, I think it more likely that the film was not exposed (or the fixer wiped the slate clean) than that the developer had died.

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

I had a similar experience, although I was experimenting, with 510 Pyro. It was related to fact that I did not develop long enough, i.e. too short a time or too dilute solution. HC-110 has a pretty long shelf life. I have had my bottle for over two years with result that it worked just as well last week as it did when it was fresh. Also it could be related to underexposure. Was you camera equipped with auto meter? Meter failure? Shutter speed problem? I would bet against there being a problem with the HC-110.

I am constantly experimenting, and screw things almost routinely. My guess would be underexposure.

Best,

Wayne

Thanks guys....I'm using an M6J with a built in Meter,  I'm almost 100% certain it was - not -  my exposure settings.  I also used the same lens on my SL the next day with no issue, so the lens and shutter is not the problem (I think); the curtain on my M6J seems ok too.   I pushed this roll,  about 12:45min of rotation dev time.

I store my raw HC-110 in small individual bottles to keep the air out the chemistry  I'm not using at the time.  I mixed up a 2000ml stock solution of HC-110 about 1month ago and I was down to last 300ml, it was brown, but I just figured it was still ok as HC-110 browns over time.  My stock fixer is about as old as my developer and my stop bath is a few months older.    I usually just dump and remix my old stock chemistry after a month of non use, especially when low,  and never used the developer if it was brown....I rolled the dice this time, seems to have come up snake-eyes.  I'm just not sure which part of the chemistry is at fault here.     

Edited by MT0227
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MT0227 said:

Hi Marc, sorry to hear about your blank roll. It's happened to me once, but with XTOL which, unlike to my knowledge HC-110, is known to expire suddenly after 3-6 months of mixing. In my case, it was most certainly expired developer - or so my subsequent process of elimination led me to believe (see below). Everything else was fine after I mixed up fresh chemicals (like you, I did them all at the same time). Now I always do a little test before starting development. With the developer diluted/mixed and at temperature, I throw a small piece of undeveloped film into the jug. The thing is to watch this piece of film - if it eventually turns black, the developer is good. If not, it's time to mix up a fresh batch. I just get the film ends by cutting off a centimeter or so when I load the films onto the reels in my changing tent. It doesn't seem to matter how they're stored - I just keep a few in a ziplock bag, and they can be exposed to the light all the time. This little procedure gives me peace of mind before I start the development process that there will be no unpleasant surprises at the end.

By the way, if there was nothing on the film - no numbers on the side, no dark leader - just totally blank film, then it MUST be your developer. Your fixer is fine, because it's cleared ALL the silver from the acetate or whatever-it-is strip. If the developer had have worked and the film simply hadn't been exposed in the camera, then the leader part that was exposed to light when you loaded the film in the camera, and edge-numbers etc would still appear on the developed/fixed film and just the rest would be blank because the working developer would have caused the exposed bits to become black metallic silver and the fixer would have just cleared away everything else.

Edited by stray cat
  • Thanks 2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Says the man who comes around with the Makina 67, thus making my bunch of point&shoots look small and toyish. Joke aside - the Ricoh GR1 series is great fun, if you can live with its downsides, like vanishing lcd and other flaws that could lead to a nice but worthless paperweight. Though my attempts in finding someone who might repair my GR1s were to no avail so far, I keep on hoping for the miracle of reviving this second unit. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

And I keep on posting till the end of this thread :)

You made me smiling 😉 but I am sure that the GR1 is a perfect and compact travel camera. You are right, one can not possess every beautiful camera on the market and we all have only one eye to look through the viewfinder, but there are times where the GAS comes all of a sudden and sometimes it is a difficult fight between the devil on the one side of my shoulder and the angel on the other one.

vor 23 Stunden schrieb gbealnz:

Nope, not too grainy at all, and the mood........... oh boy.

Gary

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Soft legends, Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and Gerhard Richter's "Betty," such good company. Ebb and flow of painting and photography. The less we see, the more we see. Just love the way you articulate the background as negative space. Is Rooney Mara next, the girl with the something tattoo?

vor 13 Stunden schrieb EoinC:

I think it is all the better for the grain. Shows the essence of the image.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Not at all, Marc.  The grain adds to the sensual and mysterious mood - great photo!

Thank you very much gentlemen for your kind words. It is for sure a matter of taste but in this case I really like the effect of the grain. And Ernest I also like Vermeer's paintings, you can learn a lot about a perfect lighting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MT0227 said:

First gut feeling was developed with fixer by mistake.

Easy to do, and saves a step, except the results aren't what you want.

Now you've done it though (assumes this happened) you'll not do it again.

Leader was clear as well, including the segment that hooked onto the take up petal, and was exposed to daylight??? Any numbers along the film???

If not, fixer I suspect.

Gary

• Like 2