I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Dining done & dusted...  (NT's Avebury Manor).  MP, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Portra 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good to see that you’re not sticklers for formality. Smart casual?

Impressive indoor available-light shots, Keith.

• Thanks 1

Red Pass No. 1
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
E100

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

I am again and again fascinated, how some of you are capable to picture some likely trivial or usual objects or scenes in a way, that one may discover something truly fascinating. Steve's picture above is one of these, at least to me, miraculous examples. It makes me stop and wonder about the purpose of this installation and the whereabouts. Thank you very much :)

From me today an autumn scene from last year. The so called "Red Bridge" in a small town in the suburban area around Berlin:

Ricoh GR1 - Portra 160

Ah, but you have done it yourself, here. With the subtle addition of the Sun and plane contrail. Perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wayne said:

landscape still life

Fuji GSW690III, HP5 (35mm)

So, running 35mm film within the Fuji 6x9? With sprockets showing too, if desired? It would have to be easier than in the Hasselblad, for sure.
Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 2:56 PM, paulmac said:

To me the Leica has always been a camera for recording life and It's been my life long passion to use it in this way. 

Recently I was looking through some B&W negatives of a story that I photographed some 25years ago in 1994. The story was a Pakistani wedding in my home town of Bradford in West Yorkshire, UK. At the time I was working on a project about Islam in Bradford and I was a regular visitor to one of the Mosques, where they had let me in to their confidence and given me unlimited access. I still visit the Mosque to record it for posterity and always I give the Mosque images from my visits. In deference to their wishes I usually now shoot things in digital colour but my heart has always been and always will be for film based Black and White photojournalism.

On one visit I was invited to attend a local wedding that was to be held in a nearby school hall. The men were sat at one side of the hall and the women were behind a partition at the other side. Now men are not really allowed to see the bride BUT I was given a special permission and allowed to go into their area for about 5 minutes to make the attached images of the bride and her party.

This is the first time that I have seen and exhibited many of these images because when I was drying the film, being eager to see the images whilst still wet, I knocked the film off the drying hooks and it fell to floor and was badly damaged. The damage was such that as I had some other negs of the day, I decided not to bother printing these as the physical retouching would have been massive with a tiny camel hair brush and black retouching colour. The negs have lain in a drawer in my dark room but a couple of weeks ago I decided to clean them up in Photoshop and then put them all through Silver FX. 

These are some of the restored images from that 1994 Saturday afternoon in Bradford. The film was my usual at that time Kodak TRI-X 400 ISO loaded from 30m bulk rolls and the camera was a Leica M6 with 35mm Summicron - 50mm Summicron and 90mm Summicron lenses. The dev would have been Kodak D76 1+1 as that was the combination that I always used. Sadly Kodak don't seem to supply TRI_X in 30m rolls now and so I use Fomapan 400 developed in Rodinal which is a bit grainier but a very good substitute for TRI-X. Grain though has never been my consideration in reportage type photography and even with the Monochrom I will always put the files through Silver FX with a TRI-X or HP5 preset just to give the image some grain and to me more feel.

Anyway here are the pics - I have used several posts to get the whole sequence of 15 that I have decided to show on the LUF:-

This is a fantastic series, Paul.  So personal and intimate. I love the rendering of the film with the expressions.  Well done!!

On 3/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Keith (M) said:

Two more interiors shots from the NT's Avebury Manor. MP, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Portra 400, hand-held.

Four-poster bed.

Elderly artefacts.

I am really drawn to these indoor photos. The colors to me are so sublime.  I should do more of this myself!

19 hours ago, Ernest said:

Totem Salvage
M-A APO 50mm & Nikon F2 Micro-Nikkor
ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Love it, Rog!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

So, running 35mm film within the Fuji 6x9? With sprockets showing too, if desired? It would have to be easier than in the Hasselblad, for sure.
Gary

I think the lens attached to this Fuji 6x9 is one of the sharpest I own. I have a roll of Pro400H in now. I think the camera is going to see a bit more use in future. I would say it more than a contender against the Hassy XPan. Certainly less prone to failure due to aging technology. A bit bigger................Quite a bit bigger. :)

Thanks

Wayne

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought of Rog when i saw this art work at my company here in London

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Red Pass No. 2
M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm
E100

A point suspended in nothingness! (will never be a line) Love it, Adam.

• Like 12

Phnom Penh 4x5 Delta 100...

A009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 19