I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Per Steve's request for Kodak Gold 200 photos with better lighting, I coerced Captain to model.....Profile only.

attachicon.gifimg961.JPG

Nikkormat (Grossly undersold in this film revival in US) FT2, Schneider Retina Xenar 50mm 2.8, Kodak Gold 200

Very, very nice, Wayne - looks like that Nikkormat/Retina combo is working well for you.

• Like 4

Very, very nice, Wayne - looks like that Nikkormat/Retina combo is working well for you.

One thing about this camera, an aspect of Leica lore, is the absolutely superb sound of shutter actuation. While it is nowhere near the quiet sound of the Leica RF film cameras, it has absolutely none of that unpleasant metallic ring that accompanies shutter actuation on so many of its- even higher priced- contemporaries. It feels as solid as any camera I have shot. Shutter speed control- Olympus like- will take some getting used to. I am glad the folks at ProCam in Charlottesville , VA talked me into this instead of a Nikon when I inquired about a reasonably priced F mount camera.

Thanks for the compliment.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Per Steve's request for Kodak Gold 200 photos with better lighting, I coerced Captain to model.....Profile only.

attachicon.gifimg961.JPG

Nikkormat (Grossly undersold in this film revival in US) FT2, Schneider Retina Xenar 50mm 2.8, Kodak Gold 200

great colors, Wayne.  Further demonstrates what I told Plasticman about this film in the "Film" subforum...

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimg961.JPG

Thanks Wayne, I'm quite impressed with the colours (sorry, my brain won't allow me to drop the letter). Not quite Portra, but there's a respectful price difference.
  • Like 2

I have decided to sell my M9, my only full-frame digital camera, and shoot from now on with film Leica and medium-format.

For the last two years or so, I almost never go out shooting with the M9 with pleasure. I cannot control the infliction of a machine-gun, thoughtless approach in my photography. It’s killing me and I see no benefits apart from readiness in reaching the shot, something that doesn’t interest me anyway.

It is also the necessity to do some unavoidable post-processing on the digital images. That has “secretly” grown a habit in me and I catch myself doing the same with the scanned film shots for no reason!

So, let it be!

Paul

P.S. - My opening words imply that I still keep a compact digital. Yes, I keep my X1. Why? Because it’s quick enough for my wife to tolerate me shooting while walking together!

• Like 12

I have decided to sell my M9, my only full-frame digital camera, and shoot from now on with film Leica and medium-format.

For the last two years or so, I almost never go out shooting with the M9 with pleasure. I cannot control the infliction of a machine-gun, thoughtless approach in my photography. It’s killing me and I see no benefits apart from readiness in reaching the shot, something that doesn’t interest me anyway.

It is also the necessity to do some unavoidable post-processing on the digital images. That has “secretly” grown a habit in me and I catch myself doing the same with the scanned film shots for no reason!

So, let it be!

Paul

P.S. - My opening words imply that I still keep a compact digital. Yes, I keep my X1. Why? Because it’s quick enough for my wife to tolerate me shooting while walking together!

Paul, it's a decision of wisdom, , you're like me , I do not use my 2 digitals anymore

Film is much better , not better for the moment to replace it . It is not a  coincidence

that the film's popular now

Bravo Paul.

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

Good question, Edward - I had to check. This is a Nikon Coolscan scan directly from the negative. And you are right - I initially thought it was Kodachrome!

Thanks for the additional info, Phil. It is really intriguing, this Fujicolor 100.

• Like 1

Paul, it's a decision of wisdom, , you're like me , I do not use my 2 digitals anymore

Film is much better , not better for the moment to replace it . It is not a  coincidence

that the film's popular now

Bravo Paul.

Best

Henry

My M9 and the Monochrom are gone, and so has the D810. I'm left with my iPhone and an Olympus OM-D EM-5 MkI for the chipmunks. I wasn't terribly unhappy with the picture quality (the convenience balanced out the harshly over-detailed images), but the problem for me was that it just wasn't satisfying. I have to feel as if I have had to make some effort and use some skill to be pleased with the output. In another month the snow should be pretty much gone and normal service can resume from Nova Scotia!

• Like 5

I found a forgotten photo from long ago:

p399298734-5.jpg

Venice, Italy 1986

Canon A1, FD 24mm f2.8 SSC, Fuji 100 ISO print film

A very lovely scene wrapped around those fantastic red stripes and boats.  Is that film still available (I would think not)?  In any case, it handled the artificial lights very well!

• Like 1