I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Very cool, Patrick.

M6 / 50cron/ Kentmere 100 pushed to 400. 

Alone. 

Wow, really great colors in this one, James. 

I found a half exposed roll of Agfa CT 100 Precisa in one of my cameras lately. Have since forgotten which camera it was, actually. Brought it to the drugstore for development last week and found some nice pictures on it. By the look of them it seems the exposures where done in my Leica M3 with the Summicron 50 DR. I really love the colors in this one:

attachicon.gifBild-1-187.jpg

Very beautiful, Jay

Sunset, White Sands
White Sands National Monument, Alamogordo, New Mexico
June 1996
M6, 50mm Summicron, Velvia

Sunset, White Sands by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

• Like 2

The perils of shooting on an empty stomach  :o

NYC

Provia 100F +1

IIIg, 28 summaron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Fast becoming a trademark signature of yours Adam, (the fedora I mean sorry, not the food).

It needs to be incorporated as much as possible, LOL.

Gary

I'm tryin', Gary :)  Every chance I get :)

Provia 100F

• Like 18

I posted the same scene taken with Russian equipment and film.

Canon F1, Canon 24mm 2.8 SSC, Kodak Gold 200.

The Kodak film does not cup at all.........An aggravating characteristic of the Agfa Vista film.

Storm coming into Shenandoah, Virginia.

It makes me regret my poverty of LR manipulation skill: the TIFF is stunning in detail and sharpness.

• Like 16

Some "blue sky" from last week in the snow/sleet...  It was an afternoon storm and I walked all the way from downtown to midtown, didn't have a dry spot on my body when I got home (I had an undershirt, merino wool sweater, my heavy Moncler coat and thin gortex waterproof rain jacket - and my entire undershirt all of that was soaking wet when I got home).  I couldn't feel my feet after all of the frozen puddles that I walked through in my loafers.  It was awesome.  ;)

NYC

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit

New friend...from another planet... :)

She asked "why?@#$" and I said "b/c you match!" 

She was not amused.

Oh well.

These are classic "Miller's Tales". The lady carrying the sky of a fine day with her on a lousy day. The angry lady looking like "Birdman" after a soaking, replete with her comedic audience enjoying the show. The alien in the sparkly blue suit - well he's just a regular riot, Alice.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1

I posted the same scene taken with Russian equipment and film.

Canon F1, Canon 24mm 2.8 SSC, Kodak Gold 200.

The Kodak film does not cup at all.........An aggravating characteristic of the Agfa Vista film.

Storm coming into Shenandoah, Virginia.

It makes me regret my poverty of LR manipulation skill: the TIFF is stunning in detail and sharpness.

attachicon.gifimg93s0-2.JPG

How do you rate Kodak Gold 200 which after all is a relatively inexpensive film? It's hard to tell from this how it handles colours, have you another in sunlight you could post? Thanks Wayne.

Ps I've read contradictory reports (the power of the Internet) that Kodak Ultramax 400 is just a faster version of the same film.

How do you rate Kodak Gold 200 which after all is a relatively inexpensive film? It's hard to tell from this how it handles colours, have you another in sunlight you could post? Thanks Wayne.

Ps I've read contradictory reports (the power of the Internet) that Kodak Ultramax 400 is just a faster version of the same film.

It was late January; pretty dark for the whole trip. I believe this the brightest photo I took with same camera, lens, film. Last frame.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 17

That's a fine example, thank you Wayne.

PS I can't work out why Gold 200 gets bad press, perhaps it's people comparing with Portra.

This cupping thing I referenced in my original post is a pretty big deal in my consideration. The Kodak 200 dries almost perfectly flat. I have to reverse roll the  Agfa and Fuji film to scan.

Unless further testing reveals some major weakness- it is doubtful, at my skill level, that a slight weakness would even be detected- I think I am going to be perfectly happy with a transition from fuji/agfa to Kodak..... in low-cost color film. Besides, Kodak seems to be in the "revival of film" game. I want to support them in that effort.

Imagine if they decided to give Kodachrome another shot. :) I missed it the first time around. Kodachrome Minox shots...........

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 6

That's a fine example, thank you Wayne.

PS I can't work out why Gold 200 gets bad press, perhaps it's people comparing with Portra.

One other thing:

One of my obsessions is shadows. I will sometimes take photos for no other reason than the fact that the shadows fascinate me in how they transition from dark to light. I believe the subtle transitions in the shadows on church parking lot are handled about as well as I have ever seen on any film. It transmits mid-Winter lighting almost perfectly.

Best, Wayne

• Like 4

One other thing:

One of my obsessions is shadows. I will sometimes take photos for no other reason than the fact that the shadows fascinate me in how they transition from dark to light. I believe the subtle transitions in the shadows on church parking lot are handled about as well as I have ever seen on any film. It transmits mid-Winter lighting almost perfectly.

Best, Wayne

Light has the power of life over death in photography and like you I like the contrast of shadow, in varying degrees, over full on reflected or transmitted light. Your example in the church setting is indeed very good, I don't remember seeing previously, but the I like film thread moves almost at the speed of light, so easily overlooked.

I don't want to shout too loud, but this film is an absolute bargain. I just need the light!

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 3

These are classic "Miller's Tales". The lady carrying the sky of a fine day with her on a lousy day. The angry lady looking like "Birdman" after a soaking, replete with her comedic audience enjoying the show. The alien in the sparkly blue suit - well he's just a regular riot, Alice.

Thanks, Phil.  You have an imagination like mine :)  Although I'm not quite as articulate :)

• Like 1

Pub, fire logs ...

Leica M6, Voigtlander 1:1.4/40, Kodak Double X stand developed in Rodinal 1:100

• Like 15