I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar, Across 100

• Like 18

Wow, Gary, stellar. Congrats on the "new" camera.  It is in good hands for sure.  How long have you had it?  

Went to a medieval fair today, not really my thing, true, but I wondered if it would provide a good test for a new 'Blad.

2000FCW

Ilford Delta 100

R09 @ 1:50

Epson 4870

Gary

• Like 1

Went to a medieval fair today, not really my thing, true, but I wondered if it would provide a good test for a new 'Blad.

2000FCW

Ilford Delta 100

Epson 4870

Gary

Looks like the 'Blad works just fine. :) Nice shots.

South Bank Market, London.

Ilford XP2+ with M3 and 50/2 Rigid Summicron.

attachicon.gifSouth Bank Market.jpg

There's nothing like a market on a rainy day, this makes me feel all homesick. :)

• Like 2

Very creative approach Adam. I had to look twice to see what I was seeing.

Here's a bit of the Oculus Train Station near the Freedom Tower...

Contax T3, red filter

HP5

Haha she looks a little bit like one of my favourite actors James Earl Jones.

I just love Leica lenses....and funny eyeglasses... :wub:

NYC

Fuji Pro 400H

M-A/28 cron

Great results there Gary, looks like you have a keeper camera :) How do you find it in use?

2000FCW

Ilford Delta 100

Epson 4870

Gary

• Like 2

A film rangefinder is not the best tool for shooting skiing but sometimes you get lucky and capture the right frame. Low res scan and I am not sure why the sun flare is squared off? 

Portra 160 - Summicron 50 - M6

The second picture is awesome, a tribute to analog photography and to the joy of skiing! Very well done!

• Like 1

From me today again some rather experimental stuff. Used some Lomography X-Pro something in my Mamiya. White balance was adjusted to my liking in Lightroom, the original file shows a brownish sky I didn't like that much. 

• Like 19

M6TTL Cron 35 Tx 400 /800

• Like 18

Wow, Gary, stellar. Congrats on the "new" camera.  It is in good hands for sure.  How long have you had it?  

Not that long Adam, and while I'd always had a "5" something series, this being a "2" series is different, similar but different.

Blame Philip.

Gary

• Like 2

Great results there Gary, looks like you have a keeper camera :) How do you find it in use?

Not too dissimilar Philip. Focus ring is in the opposite place however. I changed the aperture quite a few times by mistake.

Was concerned that the lack of metering would hamstring me too, but the processed roll looked fine. Was an interesting day, as you can see, plus I took the polar opposite with me as well, the half-frame Pen FT.

M/F & H/F, what a combo?

Gary

• Like 1

Norfolk Island grows a particular fir tree, which looks very primitive to me - like something from a Jurassic landscape. These poor little trees are now grown in the warmer parts of north America, then sprayed with glitter paint, and then sold as living Christmas trees. Generally, they die no matter what you do, as the paint prevents them from photosynthesising. This particular one might be called a 'rescue tree' - we washed and wiped off all the paint we could, and placed it outside in the sun, the rain and the wind each summer for the last several years. Now it is growing to the point where our cathedral ceiling will not cope, and we may have to prune out the central shoots if we are to keep it alive rather than throw it away. Obviously, no choice there! We may have to raise a roof to continue to support it.

Roleiflex 2.8GX, Ilford XP2 Super @ ISO 50, Ilfotec HC, Hasselblad X1 scan:

38924581820_ff3a33d11c_c.jpg

Norfolk Island Fir by chrism229, on Flickr

• Like 13

Two persons here will be dissatisfied but I repeat MF film and also 135 film beats all digital cameras

MF included !

I was treated as a rotten "worm's can"  when I talked about that

Best

Henry

Henry,

I really do not want to see you suffer like this. As I tried to explain in a PM, 'a can of worms' does not and cannot be a phrase that describes a person; rather it describes the act of opening a discussion that may go in unexpected directions. Greek mythology tells us of Pandora and her box of unexpected surprises, and Google, a pretty poor substitute for classical mythology, tells me that the equivalent phrase in French for a 'can of worms' is either 'une boîte de Pandore' or 'une boîte de vers'. I did not write the phrase that offended you, and I still want to help you understand. If I could only interact with this forum in French I would have far more difficulty than you do. The point is this: the can of worms could not have been intended as an insult directed towards you, but is a phrase in English referring to an unexpectedly difficult situation. Perhaps other English speakers will join in here with their opinions, which I hope will confirm to you that the person who wrote that, however wrong about scanning film, did not intend to describe you, personally, in those terms.

En français:

Je ne veux vraiment pas te voir souffrir comme ça. Comme j'ai essayé d'expliquer dans un PM, «a can of worms» ne peut pas et ne peut pas être une phrase qui décrit une personne; il décrit plutôt l'acte d'ouvrir une discussion qui peut aller dans des directions inattendues. En la mythologie grecque nous parle de Pandore et de sa boîte de surprises inattendues, et Google, un piètre remplaçant de la mythologie classique, me dit que la phrase équivalente en français pour une «can of worms» est soit «une boîte de Pandore» ou «une boîte de vers '. Je n'ai pas écrit la phrase qui vous a offensé, et je veux toujours vous aider à comprendre. Si je pouvais seulement interagir avec ce forum en français, j'aurais beaucoup plus de difficulté que vous. Le point est ceci: 'the can of worms' n'aurait pas pu être conçue comme une insulte dirigée contre vous, mais est une phrase en anglais faisant référence à une situation étonnamment difficile. Peut-être d'autres anglophones se joindront-ils ici à leurs opinions, et j'espère que cela vous confirmera que la personne qui a écrit cela, même si elle a tort de scanner le film, n'avait pas l'intention de vous décrire personnellement en ces termes.

C.

• Like 8

:ph34r:  who me?  :D

Not that long Adam, and while I'd always had a "5" something series, this being a "2" series is different, similar but different.
Blame Philip.

Gary

Haha this is great, so that is how they do it on photo shoots.

'Smoke machine'.

M3 and 50/2 Rigid Summicron with Ilford XP2+ lab developed C-41.

What a delightful night scene, Antonio. And particularly well done give the slow shutter speed.

Dinner night in Martina Franca last week. The old city center is quite nice (and dark, I had to shoot at 1/15s).

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Fomapan 400, HC-110 dil B

25879206577_fdd442780f_b.jpg

20180311-DSCF1482 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 3

Thanks, Mike!

Very nice!

Really lovely colors, Philip!

Sunset in France last summer.

Flickr

TTL 50/1.4A Velvia 100

Thanks, Philip X 2.  And You've made a connection for me with the James Earl Jones observation.  Of course she is!

Very creative approach Adam. I had to look twice to see what I was seeing.

Haha she looks a little bit like one of my favourite actors James Earl Jones.

Great scene, Antonio!

Dinner night in Martina Franca last week. The old city center is quite nice (and dark, I had to shoot at 1/15s).

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Fomapan 400, HC-110 dil B

20180311-DSCF1482 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Very well seen and that Tri-X is stellar!

attachicon.gifS.Ireland.jpg

M6TTL Cron 35 Tx 400 /800

WOW - incredible, Pete!  That face and expression are PRICELESS.  My kind of shot big time!

'Smoke machine'.

M3 and 50/2 Rigid Summicron with Ilford XP2+ lab developed C-41.

I agree with Chris.  I also suspect that this is a big misunderstanding but I don't recall seeing the post that has upset Henry so I can't say for sure.

Henry - Perhaps you can repost the "can of words" post so that I (and others) can see exactly what was said and try to clear up any misunderstanding?  I have a strong feeling that it wasn't an insult but unfortunately there is not much more that can be said to close this out without seeing the actual post.  I am only digging into this b/c it seems to have really bothered you and - in a way - dampened your strong spirit just a little.  Would like to get that back!

Henry,

I really do not want to see you suffer like this. As I tried to explain in a PM, 'a can of worms' does not and cannot be a phrase that describes a person; rather it describes the act of opening a discussion that may go in unexpected directions. Greek mythology tells us of Pandora and her box of unexpected surprises, and Google, a pretty poor substitute for classical mythology, tells me that the equivalent phrase in French for a 'can of worms' is either 'une boîte de Pandore' or 'une boîte de vers'. I did not write the phrase that offended you, and I still want to help you understand. If I could only interact with this forum in French I would have far more difficulty than you do. The point is this: the can of worms could not have been intended as an insult directed towards you, but is a phrase in English referring to an unexpectedly difficult situation. Perhaps other English speakers will join in here with their opinions, which I hope will confirm to you that the person who wrote that, however wrong about scanning film, did not intend to describe you, personally, in those terms.

En français:

Je ne veux vraiment pas te voir souffrir comme ça. Comme j'ai essayé d'expliquer dans un PM, «a can of worms» ne peut pas et ne peut pas être une phrase qui décrit une personne; il décrit plutôt l'acte d'ouvrir une discussion qui peut aller dans des directions inattendues. En la mythologie grecque nous parle de Pandore et de sa boîte de surprises inattendues, et Google, un piètre remplaçant de la mythologie classique, me dit que la phrase équivalente en français pour une «can of worms» est soit «une boîte de Pandore» ou «une boîte de vers '. Je n'ai pas écrit la phrase qui vous a offensé, et je veux toujours vous aider à comprendre. Si je pouvais seulement interagir avec ce forum en français, j'aurais beaucoup plus de difficulté que vous. Le point est ceci: 'the can of worms' n'aurait pas pu être conçue comme une insulte dirigée contre vous, mais est une phrase en anglais faisant référence à une situation étonnamment difficile. Peut-être d'autres anglophones se joindront-ils ici à leurs opinions, et j'espère que cela vous confirmera que la personne qui a écrit cela, même si elle a tort de scanner le film, n'avait pas l'intention de vous décrire personnellement en ces termes.

C.

• Like 8