I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DK West coast " Put and Take" 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Edward nice color of Ektar .... on some pictures above I notice a little veil of magenta

Thank you very much Henry. Indeed it is the usual Ektar color in the shade, but this time I decided not to correct it to stay faithful to the film characteristics.

Bagan, Myanmar.

Film Ilford hp5

• Like 17

Your last picture I mean this one :)

Thank you very much Henry. Indeed it is the usual Ektar color in the shade, but this time I decided not to correct it to stay faithful to the film characteristics.

Henry

• Like 1

One Ektar original picture TIFF uncorrected for Edward *

M7-28 Summicron Asph-Kodak Ektar 100 dev myself

Best

Henry

• Like 14

Photographer on the prowl

Film Ilford hp5

• Like 14

For me, this picture illustrates a little exercise I had a couple of years back in visual stimulation followed immediately by a visit to a photographic shangri-la.

I was able to score three days in New York with the sole purpose of indulging in photography. I know - I still can't believe my good fortune. Anyway, one of the things I'd planned to do was to visit the Met Breuer where they happened to be running an exhibition of the early work Diane Arbus - In the Beginning. This was an absolutely amazing exhibition - firstly of course for the quality of her work (which, in my opinion, is unsurpassed), but also for the way it was presented - absolutely wonderful.

Having spent a good couple of hours there it didn't take me long to decide what to do next - down to Coney Island, where many of the images in the exhibition were taken. Of course Coney Island has been a photographic happy hunting ground for many of the greats - Bruce Davidson, Lisette Model, Mary Ellen Mark, Winogrand, Erwitt - the list goes on. But this day my head was full of the Arbus approach. After taking a few "warm up" pictures I suddenly saw this no-nonsense lady and her not-so-happy child approach, with the quizzical little boy looking on in the background, and it instinctively occurred to me that this was as close to an Arbus moment that I was likely to get that day. So I raised the camera and clicked. I am quite happy with this picture because it does illustrate to me how the "arrival" of a "moment" is able to be anticipated - in this case, thanks to the preparation afforded me by immersing in Diane Arbus' wonderful pictures earlier that day. And it was fun.

p2704663026-5.jpg

Coney Island 2016

M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit, K2 yellow filter, Tri-X

An outstanding shot by any standard, Phil.

• Like 3

For me, this picture illustrates a little exercise I had a couple of years back in visual stimulation followed immediately by a visit to a photographic shangri-la.

I was able to score three days in New York with the sole purpose of indulging in photography. I know - I still can't believe my good fortune. Anyway, one of the things I'd planned to do was to visit the Met Breuer where they happened to be running an exhibition of the early work Diane Arbus - In the Beginning. This was an absolutely amazing exhibition - firstly of course for the quality of her work (which, in my opinion, is unsurpassed), but also for the way it was presented - absolutely wonderful.

Having spent a good couple of hours there it didn't take me long to decide what to do next - down to Coney Island, where many of the images in the exhibition were taken. Of course Coney Island has been a photographic happy hunting ground for many of the greats - Bruce Davidson, Lisette Model, Mary Ellen Mark, Winogrand, Erwitt - the list goes on. But this day my head was full of the Arbus approach. After taking a few "warm up" pictures I suddenly saw this no-nonsense lady and her not-so-happy child approach, with the quizzical little boy looking on in the background, and it instinctively occurred to me that this was as close to an Arbus moment that I was likely to get that day. So I raised the camera and clicked. I am quite happy with this picture because it does illustrate to me how the "arrival" of a "moment" is able to be anticipated - in this case, thanks to the preparation afforded me by immersing in Diane Arbus' wonderful pictures earlier that day. And it was fun.

Coney Island 2016

M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit, K2 yellow filter, Tri-X

Phil, 

I like your story, like your picture, together it says it all. And beaches are indeed wonderful places

for photographers - you have quite a few nice ones down there. The attached picture is from my

recent visit. A moment of tranquility, peace and yoga, before the crowds come in. 

MP, 35, Color Implosion, ns

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 10

And at times the beach can be anywhere. I suspect the lady pictured in this suburbian view

was waiting for someone with a key...

MP, 35, Color Implosion, ns

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 12