I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I count six folks, and only one cell phone in use. Well seen. It is a beautiful shot.

Well, what do you know...  there's even one with a book in hand. That is a pretty rare sight too !

I keep waiting for somebody to declare the public use of a cell phone as.....tacky........passe'. I have always seen France as the guidepost for classy behavior. The revolution should start there. :)

Henry, will you lead the charge?

Best,

Wayne

Hi Wayne and Pritam, we call the new syndrome in 21th century the nomophobia an addiction to mobile

phone, it is an increase of anxiety !

Well seen Pritam , she was reading but she is so tired after her day's work that she starts to sleep

https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsante-medecine.journaldesfemmes.com%2Ffaq%2F37881-nomophobie-addiction-au-telephone-portable&edit-text=

Thanks for watching and commenting Wayne and Pritam

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

another way to shoot bridge , this one is in Paris near Notre Dame

Kodak TX400-Leica R4S-50 Summicron (cam and lens 1980)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

• Like 14

Over the past year I shot some 35 mm 3200 ISO Ilford film with my Leica M-6 and Noctilux Lens.I just processed the film and scanned it. I posted a video here https://youtu.be/NWVQzXXXSJ4It was a lot of fun

Definitely a labour of love!

An interesting video and thank you for sharing. But I had better make sure my wife doesn't get to watch this. I'm trying to convince her that developing at home won't be messy- seeing this would be the final nail in the coffin I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Two or three years ago, on a whim, and because it was real cheap, I bought one of those Zorki counterfeit "Luftwaffe" cameras. You should see it: polished brass; snake skin cover; Gothic lettering; fully functional. On top of everything else, it looks like a camera that was actually used by somebody......Extensively. The other day my curiosity got the better of me and I loaded it with Portra 160, stuck it in my coat pocket, and took it for a trial run in the in the sub-freezing temperatures. What it rendered kind of surprised me. At first I was ready to throw the film away, but the more I look at the photos, I am not so sure. I do not understand the difference between "soft focus" and out of focus so I have never had much interest in the former.....Other than to admit that I have seen some classic "soft focus" shots I admire. Would you call this soft focus, or is it just out of focus? The lens is clean. The rangefinder of the camera aligns perfectly at infinity.

• Like 8

Here is another, shot with the Zorki counterfeit and Portra 160, of a scene I posted earlier, although shot with Zenit 1, MIR 37mm lens, and Foma 100.

• Like 10

Two or three years ago, on a whim, and because it was real cheap, I bought one of those Zorki counterfeit "Luftwaffe" cameras. You should see it: polished brass; snake skin cover; Gothic lettering; fully functional. On top of everything else, it looks like a camera that was actually used by somebody......Extensively. The other day my curiosity got the better of me and I loaded it with Portra 160, stuck it in my coat pocket, and took it for a trial run in the in the sub-freezing temperatures. What it rendered kind of surprised me. At first I was ready to throw the film away, but the more I look at the photos, I am not so sure. I do not understand the difference between "soft focus" and out of focus so I have never had much interest in the former.....Other than to admit that I have seen some classic "soft focus" shots I admire. Would you call this soft focus, or is it just out of focus? The lens is clean. The rangefinder of the camera aligns perfectly at infinity.

attachicon.gifimg902.JPG

Here is another, shot with the Zorki counterfeit and Portra 160, of a scene I posted earlier, although shot with Zenit 1, MIR 37mm lens, and Foma 100.

attachicon.gifimg900.JPG

Wayne , I like your pictures because it's really "anti digital" : a little veil , imperfection

(in the artistic side I mean like a painting) , vintage colors , a "soul" when watching and many another

qualities ....that missing in digital

I think Phil will like them too

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Pen F 40mm f/1.4, Tri-X

EM5 v Plustek Scan of a diptych. I'm not sure there's much of a difference. Thoughts?

Plustek Scan

38590559865_8b51ab4613_b.jpgThe River (Plustek Scan) by -Steve Ricoh-

BEOON camera 'Scan'

24602603247_fce4cc660e_b.jpgThe River (EM5 Scan) by -Steve Ricoh-

Steve thanks for this comparison

In Plustek scan you see 1-grain better 2-the black of water is more black I consider digital doesn't know what it's real black, may be during the conversion color Bayer filter by camera software in black and 3-thirdly the waves in foreground is sharper characteristic of digital camera ... the better way is print on paper and no digitalization at all like scan even with Plustek

You have also more contrast in Plustek scan and nuance is missing in digital Beoon , partly because of this lack of contrast

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Thanks Henry, I think that I agree on all three counts. However, it's pity that the Plustek does not scan 100% of the double width of the two single frame, maybe 98% but not the whole frame. Due to spacing between each single frame it's seems to be just a fraction greater than 36x24. Real shame, and I only have option A or B, no flatbed scanner, or darkroom. When I eventually create something worthy of printing, I wil have to send the negative to my chosen lab.

• Like 1

Old Lincoln - Discovery Bay, WA - Aug 2017

Not sure about the car model ... 

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Trix400, V600 scan

39440762422_4ecdb7d79a_b.jpg

20170828-img136 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Antonio I smile when watching your pictures

Well done and Happy Newx Year to you and your family

Great year for shooting film and film and film

Thanks to All contributors

Best

Henry

• Like 3

Antonio I smile when watching your pictures

Well done and Happy Newx Year to you and your family

Great year for shooting film and film and film

Thanks to All contributors

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry!

Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

Auguri!

• Like 1

Old Lincoln - Discovery Bay, WA - Aug 2017

Not sure about the car model ... 

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Trix400, V600 scan

39440762422_4ecdb7d79a_b.jpg

20170828-img136 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Nice pic Antonio, liking the tones.

Do some people just dump cars like fly tipping. It's been these some time looking at the surrounding vegetation. What are those things on the passenger side, USA Today and the other thing?

• Like 2

Thanks Henry, I think that I agree on all three counts. However, it's pity that the Plustek does not scan 100% of the double width of the two single frame, maybe 98% but not the whole frame. Due to spacing between each single frame it's seems to be just a fraction greater than 36x24. Real shame, and I only have option A or B, no flatbed scanner, or darkroom. When I eventually create something worthy of printing, I wil have to send the negative to my chosen lab.

Steve As I also used Epson V700* I think for scan , it's a good compromise between scan MF and 135

Epson software furnished by factory is good , no need another expensive software and b&w is superb

Best

Henry

* DMax around 4 exactly 3.9 and DM Plustek 3.6

http://www.studio-plus.fr/photo-argentique/comparatif-scanners-de-negatifs.html

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

a lot of people despite the bad weather

Paris dec 2017 6 pm :)

Kodak TX400 (dev in Ilfotech HC  I change the dev this time

versus Kodak D76)

Leica MP-50 Summilux Asph

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 10

Nice pic Antonio, liking the tones.

Do some people just dump cars like fly tipping. It's been these some time looking at the surrounding vegetation. What are those things on the passenger side, USA Today and the other thing?

Those are newspaper stands. The car is "parked" next to a burger place called Fat Smitty. I stopped by to take a couple of photos, but probably I should have tried their burgers!

I might have shared this picture in the past ... 

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Trix400

39471483581_6ca765c2bb_b.jpg

fat smitty by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 12

Lone ploughman, Siem Reap

M4. T-Max 100

• Like 12