I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Last one for today ... Grand Tetons in Kodachrome with a Canon F1N , don't remember the lens .... I do miss this film ...

a little more Kodachrome London April 1984 -- Whatever happened to BASF recording tapes, Philips TVs ..... not so much film left to Fuji ... Note all the "to let" signs, big bang etc turned around London business ...

couple more ...

oops .... forgot to attach the photo ..

Thanks for these Steve. The streets look familiar - my wife and I moved to London for four years in 1984 or 1985, so it was not all that different. Great memories - we had such a good time there.

I agree with Phil these London series are great and wonderful Steve

great memories for everyone who lives at this period ....

Great change in 2017

Best

Henry

• Like 2

...and if you think the clothes people were wearing look a bit, well, démodée, you can rest assured that at least in certain theatres in the West End they didn't even bother wearing any:

p388577140-5.jpg

"Wot! No Pyjamas!" Whitehall Theatre, London 1980

Canon F1, FD 100mm f2.8 SC, Kodachrome 64

• Like 15

Steve's Kodachromes from London in the 1980s caused me to look back over some that I took during my first visit to that fair city in 1980. Here is one from Hyde Park:

p39568752-5.jpg

Canon F1, FDn 50mm f1.4, Kodachrome 64

Phil color still nice after 37 years and great souvenir

Happy New Year Phil

Best

Henry

• Like 3

...and if you think the clothes people were wearing look a bit, well, démodée, you can rest assured that at least in certain theatres in the West End they didn't even bother wearing any:

p388577140-5.jpg

"Wot! No Pyjamas!" Whitehall Theatre, London 1980

Canon F1, FD 100mm f2.8 SC, Kodachrome 64

Another great picture in color after 37 years age

Wonderful Phil

Best

Henry

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

London 2016 for Phil and Steve

Kodak Portra 400-Leica M7-28 Summicron Asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

• Like 14

Phil color still nice after 37 years and great souvenir

Happy New Year Phil

Best

Henry

Thank you sincerely, Doc. It IS a great souvenir - I'll never forget that kind of hazy summer light that was there in the parks in London - quite unlike anything I'd ever experienced before.

Best wishes to you and your family Henry for a wonderful 2018. Let's on this thread help lead the charge to a new era of film photography!

• Like 4

Zenit 1, MIR 37mm 2.5, Foma 100

Not dust spots; flecks of snow :).  0 degrees during a four hour walk. Only difficulty was VERY stiff grease in old Leica lenses. Oddly enough, no cold related problems at all with Russian stuff................Kalashnikov cameras.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 17

Inspired from all the London pictures here some of my oldest stuff. London in spring 1979. I was a school boy in these days and this was the fifth film in my first camera, a Canon AE-1. Still had to learn to keep the camera in level. The negatives are in a poor condition, as you can see. But I decided to leave it at it is.

Canon AE-1, 1,8/50 mm, Agfa CNS 2

• Like 14

Minox version:

attachicon.gifimg859 (1).jpg

Minox B, Portra 400

I like the false (?) looking colours, or let me say it another way, modified colours. Wasn't aware Porta did this sort of thing, more thinking it was more a characteristic of Ektar. How did you go about exposing and developing? This is the sort of result I would like to achieve myself.
  • Like 1

It's been a while since I was active in the thread. Good to see the doc back and some of the new contributors. I haven't had any film developed since my last batch in November. Here's one from that batch for Henry. Not sheep but cows. 28 Summaron and BW400cn. incidentally, I've walked through countless fields of cows over the years – including past some ugly looking bulls – and never felt remotely fazed. However, this benign looking herd were anything but. The cow in the middle of the frame was already eyeballing me from some distance and as I approached closely via the well worn path, the herd immediately closed in and tried to surround me. A few were jumping and snorting as they tried to outflank me and I was rather glad to get to the gate. I must admit I began to think about incidents like this one and stats like these. :o  

25557866178_09ceccb7f8_b.jpg

Bovine tactical maneuvers. Why not? We advance. Why not, the cows? Great shot. I always feel a bit edgy when I am being eyeballed by livestock. Even when there is a fence between us. Whenever, in that situation, I am with a dog I notice the dog immediately gets edgey and aggresive. Maybe they, the dogs, know something. :)

• Like 3

I like the false (?) looking colours, or let me say it another way, modified colours. Wasn't aware Porta did this sort of thing, more thinking it was more a characteristic of Ektar. How did you go about exposing and developing? This is the sort of result I would like to achieve myself.

It could have something to do with size of negative and the problems, of which you have recently posted, associated with scanning. The scanner, Epson V800, gives me very little. I place the negative strip directly on the scanner bed and cover same with "Museum Glass." The rendering is always very dark and requires some manipulation of the scanner software contrast slider. As I have imperfect color vision, I am hesitant to mess around with color. I will sometimes move the file to LR and adjust luminance a bit. I try to be faithful to the Minox rendering. This particular photograph was taken with a camera recently overhauled by Don Goldberg (DAG) so it is the best Minox camera I have. Additionally, the camera's built-in ND filter was in front of the lens pretty much the whole day. With 400 speed film, even with ND filter, you are at the limits of what the camera can handle. Aperture is a constant 3.5

Thanks for you interest. Out of this single roll of Portra 400 I was able to create four 36 exposure, and two 24 exposure Minox rolls. You will be seeing more. :)

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 4

Inspired by a brief conversation concerning photos of the mundane, I took the Minox out to document holiday trappings in a local town.

Minox B, Portra 400

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 12

These two are really fun, Phil.  It's amazing that we can bring back those old moments with the same quality in today's world 

Steve's Kodachromes from London in the 1980s caused me to look back over some that I took during my first visit to that fair city in 1980. Here is one from Hyde Park:

Canon F1, FDn 50mm f1.4, Kodachrome 64

Made me laugh, Steve :)

Another one from York during the run up to Christmas. Pen F Tri-X

wow, that is really interesting rendition, Wayne.  I think Lightroom needs to fashion a preset modeled after your images :)

Inspired by a brief conversation concerning photos of the mundane, I took the Minox out to document holiday trappings in a local town.

Minox B, Portra 400

• Like 3