I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Thanks 

I think the thing that makes the photograph for me is the people. Not so much from the "street photography" perspective, but from the fact that their presence really calls attention to the enormity of the features. It makes the scene somewhat humbling to contemplate......turns an architectural photograph into an experience.

Best,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

The people indicate the scale of the place - it is huge. They also say to me that this ancient place is a working church and much more than a museum. 

• Like 1

One from the Western Wall (Kotel) in Jerusalem one evening last August.

Cinestill 800T and Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifKotel Cinestill 800.jpg

Love it, so much happening, and to a foreigner like me, so much I don't know about (in the picture I mean).

Given the "kerlunck" of the 'Blad, did you get any growly looks from those around you, LOL?

Gary

• Like 2

Catching up, just singling out some of my favourites - of your recent images first, JM :)

Love this one,  it feels like an opportunistic shot with the ever versatile Rolleiflex (though it could be staged of course?)

37292857022_c5b87d73c0_b.jpg

Cidade das Artes by JM__, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 2.8 F - Tri-X

I always enjoy your pictures from this amazing mass of concrete and this is no exception. Super place and composition.

37289878842_5dc32a4897_b.jpg

Cidade das Artes by JM__, on Flickr

Rolleiflex 2.8 F - Tri-X

Did you hijack someone's pre-wedding photo shoot, or are you the photographer?

This is a great example of sharpness being irrelevant to a successful picture, well done for squeezing in the top of the building too!

37080320570_826cd5ed93_b.jpg

Photo shoot au Palais Royal by JM__, on Flickr

Tri-X - M3  - 50 Alpa Kern Aarau 1.8 LTM

The shadowed figure in slight motion gives really nice energy

Some more Tri-X recent shots, taken with a Ricoh GR21

37081649950_631bf885fc_b.jpg

La Pyramide by JM__, on Flickr

I like the colours/composition in the first best, the hazy pink/purple glow is lovely.

From Lebanon. Probably ZM 50/2.

36634499383_30680cd4e4_o.jpgM6 Velvia 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M6 Velvia 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Both really nice, super colours. The fully formed first one, my favourite of these so far, and the more abstract second. I hope you actually got to relax in the Dead Sea at some point after standing next to it so much Adam!

Speaking of morning skies...here's one shot on Ektar :)

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

attachicon.gifThe Dead Sea by Adam Miller.jpg

Another combo of the Velvia 50 and the Zeiss Sonar Superachromat 250mm in the Dead Sea.  This time, a tightly framed snippet of the burning glow from the pending sunrise over the oily salt water with the salt formations providing texture. :)

• Like 2

Back in the day when I shot trannies with the 500C/M.

A good friend turning wood.

Agfachrome 100.

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

And some local pines cultivated as Christmas trees.

Ektachrome 100.

Gary

• Like 13

Love it, so much happening, and to a foreigner like me, so much I don't know about (in the picture I mean).

Given the "kerlunck" of the 'Blad, did you get any growly looks from those around you, LOL?

Gary

I was going to ask a similar question... In the West it's almost taboo to take pictures of children, and as a photographer it's best to pull the shot if a child walks by, or possibly lose your teeth having been mistaken for a paedophile. This shot of Adams, which captures childhood innocence perfectly, the inquisitive look etc, is also in a holy place, so double jeopardy possibly. Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2

I was going to ask a similar question... In the West it's almost taboo to take pictures of children, and as a photographer it's best to pull the shot if a child walks by, or possibly lose your teeth having been mistaken for a paedophile. This shot of Adams, which captures childhood innocence perfectly, the inquisitive look etc, is also in a holy place, so double jeopardy possibly.

I might be wrong but it seems to me it's only in the USA or possibly North America in general that a photographer can be mistaken for a paedophile. I have not noticed any of that in Europe or elsewhere.

• Like 2

Add the UK to your list. France seems to go one step further being anti-street style photography.

Last time I was in Nice, France, I did a lot of street photography, and no one seemed to mind. I am aware though of the french law regarding this subject. The people themselves don't seem to care much :)

I might be wrong but it seems to me it's only in the USA or possibly North America in general that a photographer can be mistaken for a paedophile. I have not noticed any of that in Europe or elsewhere.

Well, I cannot speak about other areas of the world, but your comment is certainly accurate for USA. In fact, it has reached the point, due to the force of the thing, that you almost feel like a pedophile for even thinking about taking a photograph of a child, not your own.

• Like 3

Really like this one Wayne! Your photos have a certain nostalgic atmosphere.

Here is some more nastalgia. I snapped a quick one with Minox B while I was there. It, the Minox, has become my constant companion......No more inconvenient than carrying a pocket knife. I think the Minox created a better sky.

Delta 100

• Like 12

Well, I cannot speak about other areas of the world, but your comment is certainly accurate for USA. In fact, it has reached the point, due to the force of the thing, that you almost feel like a pedophile for even thinking about taking a photograph of a child, not your own.

I have to confess that I do feel the same hesitation even in more tolerant parts of the world. In Thailand and South East Asia, I have noticed people not only don't mind, but they almost feel proud if you take an interesting shot of their kids. But indeed the media influence on our subconscious cannot be underestimated.

• Like 2