I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

This is Rome – the Cathedral of St. John Lateran. It is the cathedral church of the Bishops of Rome (not St. Peters). XP2.

I love that church and the extraordinary story of Our Lady of the Snows. Everything in it seemed to done to such a high standard.

Your photograph of just a fragment indicates it's vast size. I wonder, what focal length did you use? I love taking architectural interiors and it is not always easy give a sense of scale.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Beresford,

Thanks for noticing my picture of St. John Lateran. I also like architectural interiors. I have many in the archive.

Notwithstanding my signature note, I don’t object to chatting about technical stuff. I don’t like the value (or not) of a picture being attributed to a lens or a film or a developer. Pictures must, IMO, stand on their own, and they generally and mainly don’t rise and fall on the technical stuff, IMO. If someone thinks my pictures could be improved by using an APO Summicron on SuperXYZ developed in Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo – well, you can provide your own rude response. 

This picture was done with a 50mm (rigid Summicron, since stolen) on an M2 loaded with XP2. This is my habitual kit – simple, reliable and it fits my hand and eye. Unequalled by anything so far, IMO.

For architectural interiors, I look for compositions that are good pictures in themselves – as you say, giving a sense of the totality of a great building is close to impossible. So I work within the restrictions. Often carefully chosen details are more interesting than an attempt to “get it all in”. I think that generally photography excels at revealing detail. Often the overall picture cannot be successfully made (at least of architecture) – you can’t get far enough back, and a 21mm lens will give picture-killing distortions. And who needs another picture of the façade of St Peters or Santa Maria Majiore?  

Again, thanks for looking and commenting – much appreciated. Always fun to shoot my face off a bit.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 5

Correct pose. :)

Classic, James.  You have coined a signature color palette for yourself.  Love it.

Really nice shot, and the colors are so good. Too bad superia 100 is discontinued.

I was thinking the same thing. I found some on Ebay, 12 exposure rolls that expired in 2008. I suppose they will be perfect for Pen F (half frame,) if the rolls render a decent image. I guess we will know, for sure, that film is making a come back when Fuji starts producing some of these films again. I still have a roll of Acros 400. I sure would like to see them produce that film again, too.

If that is of any interest, I just found out that a variety of the superia 100 is still sold in Japan exclusively for the Japanese market. That would be a better option than buying expired film. There is a film seller in bangkok who stocks on these. They're sold for the equivalent of 8$. Expensive.

PS. Model number is: 100-R 36EX 3SB

Interesting thoughts and comments - thank you for that! I just had to look in my fridge, there are only six rolls of Superia 100 left :( But in the next months I will use 200 or 400 ISO films more often, as winter is approaching. This is another shot of that car, with a similar pose of my youngest:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Frogs, anyone?

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Fuji Superia 100

• Like 12

Clouds & waves:

• Like 10

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A couple of 8x10 devoloped in drums HP5+ LC29

• Like 12

Hi Beresford,

Thanks for noticing my picture of St. John Lateran. I also like architectural interiors. I have many in the archive.

Notwithstanding my signature note, I don’t object to chatting about technical stuff. I don’t like the value (or not) of a picture being attributed to a lens or a film or a developer. Pictures must, IMO, stand on their own, and they generally and mainly don’t rise and fall on the technical stuff, IMO. If someone thinks my pictures could be improved by using an APO Summicron on SuperXYZ developed in Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo – well, you can provide your own rude response. 

This picture was done with a 50mm (rigid Summicron, since stolen) on an M2 loaded with XP2. This is my habitual kit – simple, reliable and it fits my hand and eye. Unequalled by anything so far, IMO.

For architectural interiors, I look for compositions that are good pictures in themselves – as you say, giving a sense of the totality of a great building is close to impossible. So I work within the restrictions. Often carefully chosen details are more interesting than an attempt to “get it all in”. I think that generally photography excels at revealing detail. Often the overall picture cannot be successfully made (at least of architecture) – you can’t get far enough back, and a 21mm lens will give picture-killing distortions. And who needs another picture of the façade of St Peters or Santa Maria Majiore?  

Again, thanks for looking and commenting – much appreciated. Always fun to shoot my face off a bit.

I think the thing that makes the photograph for me is the people. Not so much from the "street photography" perspective, but from the fact that their presence really calls attention to the enormity of the features. It makes the scene somewhat humbling to contemplate......turns an architectural photograph into an experience.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 4