I like film...(open thread)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

People still sunbathing in Otranto (Southern Italy)

Leica IIIc, Canon 50/1.4, PanF in HC-110 dil E

I won this camera on eBay for 100 euro one and half year ago. It’s in excellent aesthetic conditions, but there’s something wrong maybe with the shutter curtain because the left side of the frames is always a little brighter. I like to use it though.

PS This is a camera scan with Fuji X-T10 + Componon 50/2.8 and a couple of adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro Edited by AntonioF
  • Replies 76.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doc Henry

• A miller

• philipus

• EoinC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This photo is from a series from some of my crazy, extreme photo adventures I  had photographing Mountains "Alpinists " and rock climbers. This is Alpes mountain range which is called   "Le Massive du Mont Blanc", Haût Savoir region  In France.  And this place is a White valley ( La Vallee Blanche - Chamonix ) the most beautiful region You must visit. I was very brave enough to carry my Medium format two lenses/ meters/ and a Canon EOS and a 50mm, a lot of films No tripod/ It is crazy when I thi

Bonjour Henri,   I still prefer black and white film (I use almost no colour). The advantages of digital don’t mean much to me. Seeing instant results is not so useful, since what comes out of a camera is always far from a final result, and the final result requires time and thought.   Film also continues to improve. The quality of available film and developers is as good as it has ever been, and it is still as competent as digital sensors of equivalent size.   I also much prefer silver g

On a week-long stay at the Faroe Islands, I took the ferry from Torshavn (the 'capital') to the southernmost island, Suduroy, and looked up potential shooting locations on the island. This image was taken a little before the sun was setting in the ocean, with wind from the west (left). With the uplift of the humid air at the cliffs, fog and clouds drifted over the island. A quite typical situation for the islands; the ocean can be more or less cloud free, but the islands are generally covered in

Posted Images

Steve - The only film that I have even seen come back from my lab with the sprockets still in tact and part of the image is the beta test-version of the Cinestill 800T film.  I thought it was kinda cool but rather instructive on the scene that I framed - not sure I'd offer it as part of the final product unless someone asked.

sprockets.jpg
Adam, that's really cool! With the sprocket holes being the only things in focus, it looks like the effect was intentional - was it?

It's food for my thoughts!

Speaking of the Minox......Self portrait.

img898.JPG

Minox B, Delta 100

Really like the effect you're getting with the Minox B, and (excuse me) the rough edges to the frame. Makes the image appear from another time, another century even.

Edit: I shall have to consider taking a rough file to my negative masks

Edited by Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good one, Wayne.  The film rendition matches the subject matter and your intended vision perfectly.

Speaking of the Minox......Self portrait.

img898.JPG

Minox B, Delta 100

Nice one, Antonio.  Thy look like sun bathing seals, or walruses  

I won this camera on eBay for 100 euro one and half year ago. It’s in excellent aesthetic conditions, but there’s something wrong maybe with the shutter curtain because the left side of the frames is always a little brighter. I like to use it though.

PS This is a camera scan with Fuji X-T10 + Componon 50/2.8 and a couple of adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve - yes, I was bracing for serious schmootz from this film since it was just a beta version of the 120 format and I was not getting good results from the 35mm format.  So I wanted to shoot the roll but knew that I was likely not going to get very clean results.  So I took some abstracts, like this one which was taken pretty much wide open and focused very closely so everything was in bokeh.  If you know NYC you will know this is the Manhattan Bridge; that's what I thought might be cool about the photo - you can't make it out but given the prominence of the subject you nevertheless know what it is

Adam, that's really cool! With the sprocket holes being the only things in focus, it looks like the effect was intentional - was it?
It's food for my thoughts!

Edited by A miller

First attempt with my new “old” Hassy

Planar CF 89/2.8, FP4Plus in R09 One Shot

Photo of the negative with my Ricoh GRII Macro

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I say it's a keeper!

Looks great, like something captured by Cassini

I hope my M3 will last as least as long as Cassini did

Awesome shot James! Love the dreamy look and high key exposure.

Thank you for your comments by the way.

Thank you, I was also very pleased by the dreamy colors and a bit surprised by the high key effect. I overestimated the effect the longer exposure times would cause on this type of film. Could also be my mathematics where a bit poor...

Oh yes

Thanks, Edward!  The key to good (i.e., not over) contrast with Velvia 50 is to use it for scenes that have a range of EVs of no more than 4.  So the brightest highlights (in this case, the brightest part of the salt formations) would be +2 from middle gray (or EV of 7) and the darkest part of the scene where detail is wanted (in this case, the reflection of the palm tree leaves) would be no darker than -2 (or an EV of 3).   Throughout my usage of Velvia 50 on this trip I very gently used ND grad filters (even just a single stop soft grad) to take the bite off of bright highlights in the background that could be distracting.  If you noticed, I pretty much stayed away from Velvia 50 for the low light sunrise/sunset photos, except where I deliberately wanted a silhouette effect.  I also happen to think that the lab that I used in Tel Aviv does a really good job of somehow smoothing out the tones that in some way tames the highlights.  I think the knock on effect is that the film tends to come slightly underexposed; and I learned through trial and error to add a half stop beyond what I normally would expose in order to nail the exposure.  I have a dozen or so rolls that I had to bring home to NY with me and have my NYC lab develop and the results were ok but more of the high contrast that one would expect.  I managed ok through some bracketing but I would have been better off having the film developed in Tel Aviv - never thought I would say that!!

Steve - The only film that I have even seen come back from my lab with the sprockets still in tact and part of the image is the beta test-version of the Cinestill 800T film.  I thought it was kinda cool but rather instructive on the scene that I framed - not sure I'd offer it as part of the final product unless someone asked.

sprockets.jpg

Very well executed, James!  There's lots of potential with LEs with your M3.  You might consider getting a very inexpensive short cloth cable release so you can have maximum control and not worry about camera shake or blisters on your fingers

A cable release would have been a great easement in this situation, indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love the classic look in this one. Well done!

That is a fine picture on your debut with this new old gem of a camera. I wish you many more keepers with this gear. 

Here comes another one from my Baltic Sea sample pictures. As you may have noticed, I am almost always trying to lift the shadows in my pictures up. With the Fuji Superia I found out that it has almost no headroom to do so. It feels like digital files from ten years ago, where every attempt to lift some shadows resulted in banding and color noise. Nonetheless I am very pleased with this film and am happy to have some more rolls waiting in the fridge.

M3 - Summicron 50 DR - Fuji Superia 100

Here comes another one from my Baltic Sea sample pictures. As you may have noticed, I am almost always trying to lift the shadows in my pictures up. With the Fuji Superia I found out that it has almost no headroom to do so. It feels like digital files from ten years ago, where every attempt to lift some shadows resulted in banding and color noise. Nonetheless I am very pleased with this film and am happy to have some more rolls waiting in the fridge.

Bild-1-70.jpg

M3 - Summicron 50 DR - Fuji Superia 100

very nice grain in this one, James.  I am picking up a magenta cast, which obviously can easily be reversed.  Is this intended on your part?

Survivor

img915 by W P_, on Flickr

Zenit 2/C, Industar 50mm 3.5, Holga 400 film

very nice, Wayne.  

I happened to have a Velvia 50 version (same type of flowers in the same scorched condition) from last month at the Botanical Garden in Jerusalem

Taken with my Hassy 503cw, 80mm planar and 16mm extension tube

Edited by A miller

very nice grain in this one, James.  I am picking up a magenta cast, which obviously can easily be reversed.  Is this intended on your part?

You are absolutely right, Adam. I shouldn't have relied on the automatic white balance in Lightroom. I guess this new version shows the better color balance:

You are absolutely right, Adam. I shouldn't have relied on the automatic white balance in Lightroom. I guess this new version shows the better color balance:

Bild-1-71.jpg

oh yes, much more balanced IMO.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A couple of 8x10 from yesterday

HP5+ LC29

And for the first time developed in a drum with constant aggravated