I like film...(open thread)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Vintage motorbikes

M7, Summicron 35 “8 elements”, yellow filter “Leitz 1”, Adox Silvermax 100 developed in R09 One Shot 1+50, scan from negative with Plustek 135

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by MaDeVa
  • Replies 76.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doc Henry

• A miller

• philipus

• EoinC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This photo is from a series from some of my crazy, extreme photo adventures I  had photographing Mountains "Alpinists " and rock climbers. This is Alpes mountain range which is called   "Le Massive du Mont Blanc", Haût Savoir region  In France.  And this place is a White valley ( La Vallee Blanche - Chamonix ) the most beautiful region You must visit. I was very brave enough to carry my Medium format two lenses/ meters/ and a Canon EOS and a 50mm, a lot of films No tripod/ It is crazy when I thi

Bonjour Henri,   I still prefer black and white film (I use almost no colour). The advantages of digital don’t mean much to me. Seeing instant results is not so useful, since what comes out of a camera is always far from a final result, and the final result requires time and thought.   Film also continues to improve. The quality of available film and developers is as good as it has ever been, and it is still as competent as digital sensors of equivalent size.   I also much prefer silver g

On a week-long stay at the Faroe Islands, I took the ferry from Torshavn (the 'capital') to the southernmost island, Suduroy, and looked up potential shooting locations on the island. This image was taken a little before the sun was setting in the ocean, with wind from the west (left). With the uplift of the humid air at the cliffs, fog and clouds drifted over the island. A quite typical situation for the islands; the ocean can be more or less cloud free, but the islands are generally covered in

Posted Images

Cugini

M7, Summicron 35 “8 elements”, yellow filter “Leitz 1”, Adox Silvermax 100 developed in R09 One Shot 1+50, scan from negative with Plustek 135

My wife discussing with my friend Renato

Really nice, James.  Love the color palette.

Strikingly majestic!

Awesome, Brendan! A gripping composition to say the least

Simply sublime painterly scene, Edward.  Great use of light to execute on your vision for the mood.

This one is for the wall, Christoph.    Amazing.

To me, your head make this a special one for you.  Whether you intended it or not, really well done!

Love this one, Edward!  Like Niagra Falls without the falls

Thanks Adam!!!!

Early morning on the beach of the Dead Sea

Velvia 50 all the way

Hassy 503cw, 80mm Planar

dead sea morning.jpg

Another amazing shot Adam! Just wondering how do you get these subtle tones from Velvia. My experience with it is that it is much too contrasty and saturated. Is it due to slight overexposure, or a really good scanner, or photographer skills?

Vintage motorbikes

Cugini

My wife discussing with my friend Renato

You achieved great results with the Silvermax film! 

My nephew.

Lovely portrait and a lasting memory.

I've not seen many (any?) images posted here which include sprocket holes. I suspect the purists would think it's childish, but I like to see clear evidence of film.

I am a fan of sprocket holes, if the film is exposed over the whole width. The reason for the absence of sprocket holes could be related to the wide use of dedicated scanners.

This picture was kind of an experiment. I made a long exposure with guestimated exposure time of about 1 min, pressing the camera on another stone. I tried some different angles, but this one looks quite good in my opinion:

M3 - Summicron 50 DR - Fuji Superia 100

This picture was kind of an experiment. I made a long exposure with guestimated exposure time of about 1 min, pressing the camera on another stone. I tried some different angles, but this one looks quite good in my opinion:

Bild-1-69.jpg

Looks great, like something captured by Cassini

I am a fan of sprocket holes, if the film is exposed over the whole width. The reason for the absence of sprocket holes could be related to the wide use of dedicated scanners.

I have to agree, it looks great if the whole film is exposed to the scene, and to a lesser extent if the sprocket holes, film numbering and film type can be read. However the unexposed areas turn black when the scan is inverted, even the sprocket holes are difficult to make out. It's on my to-do list to sort this, but I only have a Plustek and BEOON setup at my disposal.

Bild-1-69.jpg

Awesome shot James! Love the dreamy look and high key exposure.

Thank you for your comments by the way.

I have to agree, it looks great if the whole film is exposed to the scene, and to a lesser extent if the sprocket holes, film numbering and film type can be read. However the unexposed areas turn black when the scan is inverted, even the sprocket holes are difficult to make out. It's on my to-do list to sort this, but I only have a Plustek and BEOON setup at my disposal.

As far as I know, the only scanners that can do this in an attractive way are drum scanners. It could be possible to do it with MF scanners but I guess they would cause too much flare.

Oh yes

Well, did you take a dip?  Must be cool.

Thanks, Edward!  The key to good (i.e., not over) contrast with Velvia 50 is to use it for scenes that have a range of EVs of no more than 4.  So the brightest highlights (in this case, the brightest part of the salt formations) would be +2 from middle gray (or EV of 7) and the darkest part of the scene where detail is wanted (in this case, the reflection of the palm tree leaves) would be no darker than -2 (or an EV of 3).   Throughout my usage of Velvia 50 on this trip I very gently used ND grad filters (even just a single stop soft grad) to take the bite off of bright highlights in the background that could be distracting.  If you noticed, I pretty much stayed away from Velvia 50 for the low light sunrise/sunset photos, except where I deliberately wanted a silhouette effect.  I also happen to think that the lab that I used in Tel Aviv does a really good job of somehow smoothing out the tones that in some way tames the highlights.  I think the knock on effect is that the film tends to come slightly underexposed; and I learned through trial and error to add a half stop beyond what I normally would expose in order to nail the exposure.  I have a dozen or so rolls that I had to bring home to NY with me and have my NYC lab develop and the results were ok but more of the high contrast that one would expect.  I managed ok through some bracketing but I would have been better off having the film developed in Tel Aviv - never thought I would say that!!

Another amazing shot Adam! Just wondering how do you get these subtle tones from Velvia. My experience with it is that it is much too contrasty and saturated. Is it due to slight overexposure, or a really good scanner, or photographer skills?

Steve - The only film that I have even seen come back from my lab with the sprockets still in tact and part of the image is the beta test-version of the Cinestill 800T film.  I thought it was kinda cool but rather instructive on the scene that I framed - not sure I'd offer it as part of the final product unless someone asked.

I've not seen many (any?) images posted here which include sprocket holes. I suspect the purists would think it's childish, but I like to see clear evidence of film.

Very well executed, James!  There's lots of potential with LEs with your M3.  You might consider getting a very inexpensive short cloth cable release so you can have maximum control and not worry about camera shake or blisters on your fingers

Bild-1-69.jpg

Edited by A miller

More salt formations with the early morning glow, Velvia 50 and 250mm Zeiss Sonar Superachromat

As far as I know, the only scanners that can do this in an attractive way are drum scanners. It could be possible to do it with MF scanners but I guess they would cause too much flare.

I once had a problem with exposure on a certain variety of film. The film supplier requested I send him a scan of the effected film strip, sprocket holes included. I was able to scan the holes on my Epson V800 flat bed scanner by simply placing the film on the bed. When done this way, the scanner allows you to specify what area you wish to scan. In fact, this is how I am scanning the Minox shots. Works pretty good. The scanner does not seem to handle color as well, though.

Zenit 2, 50mm 3.5 Industar, Agfa Vist 200

I once had a problem with exposure on a certain variety of film. The film supplier requested I send him a scan of the effected film strip, sprocket holes included. I was able to scan the holes on my Epson V800 flat bed scanner by simply placing the film on the bed. When done this way, the scanner allows you to specify what area you wish to scan. In fact, this is how I am scanning the Minox shots. Works pretty good. The scanner does not seem to handle color as well, though.

img913.JPG

Zenit 2, 50mm 3.5 Industar, Agfa Vist 200

That looks very good Wayne. I understand how the color coded borders may confuse the scanner algorithms but this shot looks surprisingly well balanced.