I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nah, more trains! My grandfather built locomotives for the LMS and Charles Stanier in Crewe, and I was born just outside Swindon so the GWR is in my blood. I think I see 4965 Rood Ashton Hall in there somewhere. My father was the civil engineer for Swindon, and made live steam locos in his spare time. Which might explain why I am about to inflict some fluid dynamics on you all!

I have mentioned that I have had to use the Agfa Rondinax tank with the monobath in order to avoid surge marks. I was vaguely aware of a cheaper version of the Rondinax called the Rondix, but only today have I learnt of its beautiful simplicity. A daylight-loading developing tank with no reel! It's tiny too. Bear with me while I contaminate you with some nasty digital pics to illustrate:

Rondix and Rondinax size comparison:

Lids off:

You can see the Rondinax has a reel for the film, and a strap and a clip on the end to drag the film from its canister onto the reel. There is a guillotine blade to sever the film once it has all wound onto the reel. The Rondix has only a centre hub that has jaws to grab the end of a film, and nothing else at all.

The inside of the Rondix:

See the raised ridges at each side of the curved tank bottom? They stop the film from touching anything except for the edges of the film, which sit upon them.

Ready to go:

The film leader has been cut straight across and placed in the jaws of the central hub and the film canister is sitting in a well at the right. (I'm not wasting a roll of Plus-X, that's the end of a 100' roll of Acros 100 that wasn't long enough for my bulk loader. I just used the Plus-X canister as I had one left from the weekend.)

The idea is to add 200ml of developer with the lid on, then turn the crank until the film is all wound out of the canister and is rotating into the solution that fills only the lower part of this tank (it comes up to the axle, but not above it). If the lid were not in place it would look like this:

But those damned clever Agfa engineers thought of that, and placed curved ridges on the underside of the lid that contact only the edge of the film and allow it to coil without touching anything, anywhere, except with its edges:

You can see the outer protrusions that hold the axle of the hub in place, and between them are the two curved ridges that restrict the film edges from touching the roof of the tank.

Since the end of the film is still attached to the spindle in the film canister, at this point you reverse direction with the crank, unwind the film from the tank's hub and continue until the film is wound upon the hub in the other direction, like this:

And then you carry on winding in one direction until the film stops you, and then reverse and go the other way until the film stops you etc until the developing time is up.

The lack of a reel is what interests me. Fluids can flow off and onto the edge of the film, and the reels in a Rondinax have no open slots between the grooves containing the film, unlike, say, Paterson reels. I'm hoping this means less risk of surge marks. BTW, there is one person I have heard of who is trying to replicate this tank with a 3D printer!

My first film (Pan F at ISO25 in the monobath) is currently drying. It's late enough here that I probably won't scan it until the morning, but be warned - there will be pictures!

Chris

Great work Chris thanks for this interesting post and pictures :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Henry, thanks for responding. Pictures are fine but the words (the fonts) when I post are off on my desktop computer. What font style and size is normal? What are you using? Arual? 14pt?

My posts seem close on the iPhone but really bad on the computer screen.

"Arial"  David

Font size = 14

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

On the road to Panama City, Florida...Smoking Butt BBQ! This is an iron barbecue grill that is one of a kind, I think! LOL...

Leica R4 + 80mm Summilux w/ Ektar film:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dave.gt
  • Like 8

Hi All,

I changed my color development method (here a roll of Kodak Portra 400)

Thermostated hot plate Kaiser set at 38 ° C

All products are at 38 °C in a cuvette maintained at 38 ° C.

Temperature checked in each bottle.

attachicon.gifL1016510m8me90devkplf+++900.jpg

Leica M8 - MacroElmar 90

I'll post some photos later  :)

Best

Henry

The film is still drying as it is very hot currently it goes even faster.

At first glance the technique I've used is good, I get beautiful and contrasting color images

I'm happy for my first test with this new hot plate

Henry

• Like 1

The film is still drying as it is very hot currently it goes even faster.

At first glance the technique I've used is good, I get beautiful and contrasting color images

I'm happy for my first test with this new hot plate

Henry

need accurate thermometer ! water bath and bottles development products maintained at 38 ° C constantly

M8 - ME 90

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Now we are allowed topost a few none Leica shots these next go with the ones above, every year at Barrow Hill Roundhouse they have one of the best beer festivals in the country

Taken with a Rollei 35 loaded with Fuji HG 1600 19 years out of date

755-XL.jpg

757-XL.jpg

758-XL.jpg

• Like 5

need accurate thermometer ! water bath and bottles development products maintained at 38 ° C constantly

attachicon.gifL1016509 (2)c41devkp400lf+++550.jpg

M8 - ME 90

Henry

Here some pictures developed to day

Kodak Portra 400 - dev.Tetenal 3mn15 - 38°C

M7 Summicron 28 Asph

Alexandre III bridge Paris

June 2015

Henry

• Like 9

Thanks Gary

I am glad this time. No more scratches on my films
and much cheaper
:)

Nice contrast

your opinion ?

Alexandre III bridge
Paris June 2015

Click on picture for sharper

Kodak Portra 400

Leica M7

Summicron 28 Asph

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 8

Another shot from the foggy morning in Amsterdam last year. Velvia normally shows no grain (at box speed) but the fog made a very fine grained appear. It can be seen better on the big version on Flickr. It looks nice, I think.

19174918499_78c8b0b0bd_b.jpg

Lamps | Flickr

TTL 50/1.4 Velvia 100

And though it isn't techically a train, this Metro still runs on rails.

19173475088_5d071a3165_b.jpg

Platform | Flickr

Same as earlier

• Like 10

Nice Philip your last pictures  :)

......and the last one for this night

Kodak Portra 400

Dev Tetenal 38°C - 3 mns15

Leica M7 - Summicron 28 Asph

Street photos for Adam

Champs Elysées Avenue

Paris June 2015

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 8

For Adam again :)

Champs Elysées street photos

Paris June 2015

click on picture for enlager and sharper

Kodak Portra 400

Leica M7

Summicron 28 Asph

Best

Henry

• Like 5

Henry,

I'm beginning to discover that we might not need to worry so much about temperature control in C-41 processing. I have done two films in a Rondinax, and one in the Rondix, and unlike a Paterson tank you can't sit them in the waterbath with the chemicals (water would leak into the tank through the axle hole). In each case, I used a 105º water presoak, poured in the developer at 103º and then let development proceed with no further attention to temperature. I was surprised that the Rondix actually worked! I don't want to dilute the content here overmuch, so if interested, here is a link to an example.

Chris

• Like 1

Poppies

Giverny Claude Monet's garden

June 2015

KP 400

Home dev.in Tetenal

M7 Summicron 28 Asph

Best

Henry

PS: the white mark on the top left is a jet :)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 7

Henry,

I'm beginning to discover that we might not need to worry so much about temperature control in C-41 processing. I have done two films in a Rondinax, and one in the Rondix, and unlike a Paterson tank you can't sit them in the waterbath with the chemicals (water would leak into the tank through the axle hole). In each case, I used a 105º water presoak, poured in the developer at 103º and then let development proceed with no further attention to temperature. I was surprised that the Rondix actually worked! I don't want to dilute the content here overmuch, so if interested, here is a link to an example.

Chris

Chris thanks for your comment about dévelopment

I have shown here that the "automatic" developer Jobo is certainly useful and convenient

(but more expensive and production stopped  which poses after sales service problems),

but can also develop with a classic tank Paterson or Rondinax -Rondix.

I'll try next time to develop at 30 ° C.

Best

Henry

Alexandre III bridge

Paris June 2015

you recognize the Eiffel Tower in background :)

KP 400-M7-Summicron 28 Asph

Henry

• Like 4

Some flowers.

M7 Summicron-M 50/2 Fujifilm Superia 200

• Like 4