I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

http://leicaphilia.com/why-a-mechanical-film-camera-in-a-digital-age/

I found this old article that looks like a good medicine for those of us who, out of... nostalgia, reconsider using digital bodies.

Paul

A good essay and an enjoyable read.

Whilst I agree in principle with the arguments made in the article, it's a fact that the number of manufacturers still making film cameras today can be counted on one hand, and you don't need to use all your fingers to do the sums. Indeed Leica itself has now reduced the number of models to just two, the MP and MA, with the only semi-automatic M7 film camera having been withdrawn (although no official announcement on this from the company, not that I'm aware of at least). This means that the opportunity for using film cameras in the future relies on the second hand market for the product (the number of people willing or able to spend £4k on a new film camera are a minority) and the skills of the old school camera technicians being passed on to young apprentices to replace them, but I'm pessimistic about this happening. So in 100 years from now when all of us alive today have passed, how many of our descendants will be using film cameras, even if they wish to do so?

• Like 1

After 3 years of digital M, coming back to the film that gives me more pleasure to photograph.

Results: the beauty and high fidelity of the image are present : image with a consistency that is not found in the digital, non-smooth edges of

subjects or objects, more natural color, brief more natural picture .... :)

I would like to open this thread to share with you and collect pictures of those who still practice the film and who share my point of view :)

Thank you to post what you want in this thread ..... we are in the "other" section.So the success of this thread depends on you,

otherwise it will be forgotten

Finally, I would like the film deserves this return because it's worth it!

and welcome to all for color photos as black and white

I start if you allow me :)

Thank you for reading me

Henry

at the last Sunday market in our city

attachicon.gif3/5/6/7/1/379654.attach

Kodak Portra 160 and R8 Elmar

I couldn't agree with you more. Digital has advantages, that is a fact, but the excitement of film photography was complete lost. For example, watching the photo as soon as it is shot. There is no bigger excitement of watching pictures either when they return from the lab or when made in the darkroom.  And as you state, the quality of film photography, especially black and white, digital has never  reached the beautiful quality of film. Analog is making a strong return, well not exactly return because it never left. Several manufacturers, including a small tiny unknown company called Kodak, is again manufacturing films etc. including Ektachrome which will be available shortly. And there are several other makers producing black and white films, papers, chemicals etc. What we now need is new film cameras. As far as I know, Nikon is still making film cameras, the F6 and F10. I myself have just finished organising once again my darkroom with a beautiful Leitz Fotomac 1 enlarger and a Minox enlarger. Can't wait to do my own photos once again enjoying the red light and the chemicals smell!!!  Greetings from Colombia.   EDUARDO

Edited by Edubarca
  • Like 3

Antonio -

A very nice photo and a memory trip for me.  My second car was a FIAT 1500 Cabriolet, which was comfortable, handsome, and with its detuned OSCA DOHC engine with Weber carburetor, rather responsive.  It was also far more civilized than the MGA coupe I had before it.

• Like 1

Antonio -

A very nice photo and a memory trip for me.  My second car was a FIAT 1500 Cabriolet, which was comfortable, handsome, and with its detuned OSCA DOHC engine with Weber carburetor, rather responsive.  It was also far more civilized than the MGA coupe I had before it.

Very cool! A design by Pininfarina! 

early morning

De Cocksdorp - Texel (NL)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica R6 - Elmarit-R 2,8/28 - Agfa CT Precisa

Prepare to crank up the brightness of your screens for some more darkness. The tungsten film I used for this gives a nice blueish tint to the sky, but sadly also washes out the really nice red and blue of Betelgeuse and Rigel. And ISO 64 is obviously a bit slow for this type of photography. 

Orion

43952961145_f584510d0f_b.jpg

Flickr

80 Planar Fuji RTP64 X1

• Like 15

Mustard Monday Polyptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14