I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you David, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Realistically, I think a trip to Adelaide is off my radar though at the moment - but the same offer applies anytime you're thinking of coming through Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula. I reckon Qld is a far better bet at the moment though!

• Like 1

Hi Gary.....really like the look of Tri-X here...shot and developed at box speed?

Thanks Marc.

Yes, Tri-X at 400, and processed in my "do it all, anything" developer, R09, and at the frugal 1:50 so it lasts longer. Development time from the Massive Dev Chart (14 mins @ 20º).

I much prefer Delta 100 to be honest, Tri-X is not my favourite, your comments notwithstanding.

Gary

Thank you Rog. I'm just downloading Martha Argerich now (couldn't find mit dem Trauermarsch specifically (not for free anyway)) but the "legendary 1965 recording " of various Chopin sonatas. Otherwise, you are right, a little Here Come the Warm Jets would set off things nicely, and my brain could get back into better shape.

You mention 2001. Another seriously wonderful film:

I can tell from the tone of your voice, Dave, that you're upset.

Why don't you take a stress pill and get some rest.

I look forward very much to hearing about what you think of Political Abstraction. I do wonder if perhaps Gibson developed a tendency to repeat himself (aaah - repetition!). For instance my brief look at L'Histoire de France made me suspect he'd simply moved the motifs of The Dark Series to a different country and gone to colour. But I haven't owned that book and it was just a suspicion. On the other hand, I did see his Black series at a gallery in London in 1980 and that was pretty amazing (and a departure from the Dark series).

My re-reading of Sontag will be interesting as I'd quite forgotten she'd taken to Diane Arbus' subject choices. My esteem of the work of Arbus only continues to grow (I was fortunate enough to see the exhibition "Early Work" at the MET Breuer in 2016). My esteem of the writings of Sontag does not. Still, it will be interesting to re-read her. She's packed away somewhere next to Barthes.

"It's not art unless people hate it." Brilliant! That makes me an artist!

Argerich Is amazing: Chopin Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor and Sonata No. 3 in B minor. Also, Chopin 24 Preludes Op. 28. Then, there is her Ravel and Prokofiev with a Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado. Anything she does is just Art: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, and Bach.

I was fortunate enough to see Diane Arbus exhibition at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, years back. Knock the socks off. The Fraenkel Gallery published “Diane Arbus: The Libraries,” which is a unique accordion fold presentation of her library books, framed personal photographs, and paraphernalia. Talk about the evidence of tracing her interests in literature and whatever. It is like visiting her in person. Extraordinary. I also have an extraordinary little book titled “Studio: Remembering Chris Marker“ photographed by Adam Bartos and written by Colin MacCabe. See Bartos’s “Darkroom,” “Yard Sale Photographs” with a short story by Raymond Carver, and “Boulevard.”

On the last page of Ralph Gibson’s “Political Abstraction” is one sentence at the top of the page: “This book is dedicated to Mary Ellen Mark.” Aside from the blah blah blah of the “Synapse“ at the beginning of the book, I rather like it. There are 76 images, and I have gone through it four or five times, now, and somehow I get the feeling that I am looking through the viewfinder of Gibson’s Leica. I am not pleading temporary insanity, just yet. These are very fragmented images, and how they play off of Monday another it’s not always apparent to me. I think they actually subvert language, and ask for reliance on a kind snap visual response. There is kind of a potpourri of graphic abstraction, anatomical fragments, identifiable object fragments, as well as unidentifiable fragments. This is a Lustrum Press stout binding with heavy weight pages, so the book should be properly broken in to safeguard the integrity of the binding and the pages. (Anyone not familiar with this should see YouTube.) even though I have broken mine in, it complains about even thinking of laying flat. All right, now I can plead temporary insanity, but the book does have a life.

You mentioned Stanley Kubrick‘s 2001, so now Tarkovsky’s “Solaris” is a must see, not to be confused with the gobbledygook that Hollywood turned out of the meat grinder with Clooney. This is a kind of anti-2001 universe. Not quite HAL versus Dave.

Now I am going to try not to pay attention to Susan Sontag writing about Diane Arbus: “However drawn she was to the maimed and the ugly it would never have occurred to Arbus to photograph Thalidomide babies or napalm victims—public horrors, deformities with sentimental or ethical associations.” Dostoevsky enters stage left: “Try not to think about a white polar bear.“

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

Hinge Cad Strip Diptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA Green filter (left) Rollei Redbird

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Pepto Pipe Diptych

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA Portra 400

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M3

35/3.5 Summaron

Tri-X in R09

Gary

• Like 17

I don't believe you! This is not random. Perhaps you wandered to this location by random, but you selected an awesome composition that proves "Mick Loves Beckie!" (Or "Mick Heart Beckie" in the midst of a couple of other territorial graffiti scribblings.) How random is the little orange-red heart by the sweet little green cat? Who doesn't love little green cats? And the real kicker is that perfectly composed orange-red ball! Go-o-o-o-al! Yes, Mick Loves Beckie, and I love this shot!Cheers,Rog

Hands up Rog! I did, as you suggest, wander randomly, but I had a 'point of departure' in mind. Colour can be a difficult medium but it was the near-complimentary colours that compelled me to align and expose.

Thank you for the kind comments.

• Like 1

I like this Gary - and I see it's the f3.5 Summaron. I have two of these - one goggled and one ungoggled - and to my mind they are superb lenses - as shown in your photograph.

Cheers Phil.

It's an area close to home, and thinking back I've hit it with virtually most of the current and plenty of the past cameras, both film and digital. So it's likely that you've seen it before.

The Summaron is goggled, and was part of the M3 package I secured recently, very happy. Both are going on holiday with me soon, and along with the SWC, so plenty of weird looks coming.

Gary

• Like 1

Thank you

Argerich Is amazing: Chopin Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor and Sonata No. 3 in B minor. Also, Chopin 24 Preludes Op. 28. Then, there is her Ravel and Prokofiev with a Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado. Anything she does is just Art: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, and Bach.

I was fortunate enough to see Diane Arbus exhibition at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, years back. Knock the socks off. The Fraenkel Gallery published “Diane Arbus: The Libraries,” which is a unique accordion fold presentation of her library books, framed personal photographs, and paraphernalia. Talk about the evidence of tracing her interests in literature and whatever. It is like visiting her in person. Extraordinary. I also have an extraordinary little book titled “Studio: Remembering Chris Marker“ photographed by Adam Bartos and written by Colin MacCabe. See Bartos’s “Darkroom,” “Yard Sale Photographs” with a short story by Raymond Carver, and “Boulevard.”

On the last page of Ralph Gibson’s “Political Abstraction” is one sentence at the top of the page: “This book is dedicated to Mary Ellen Mark.” Aside from the blah blah blah of the “Synapse“ at the beginning of the book, I rather like it. There are 76 images, and I have gone through it four or five times, now, and somehow I get the feeling that I am looking through the viewfinder of Gibson’s Leica. I am not pleading temporary insanity, just yet. These are very fragmented images, and how they play off of Monday another it’s not always apparent to me. I think they actually subvert language, and ask for reliance on a kind snap visual response. There is kind of a potpourri of graphic abstraction, anatomical fragments, identifiable object fragments, as well as unidentifiable fragments. This is a Lustrum Press stout binding with heavy weight pages, so the book should be properly broken in to safeguard the integrity of the binding and the pages. (Anyone not familiar with this should see YouTube.) even though I have broken mine in, it complains about even thinking of laying flat. All right, now I can plead temporary insanity, but the book does have a life.

You mentioned Stanley Kubrick‘s 2001, so now Tarkovsky’s “Solaris” is a must see, not to be confused with the gobbledygook that Hollywood turned out of the meat grinder with Clooney. This is a kind of anti-2001 universe. Not quite HAL versus Dave.

Now I am going to try not to pay attention to Susan Sontag writing about Diane Arbus: “However drawn she was to the maimed and the ugly it would never have occurred to Arbus to photograph Thalidomide babies or napalm victims—public horrors, deformities with sentimental or ethical associations.” Dostoevsky enters stage left: “Try not to think about a white polar bear.“

Cheers,
Rog

Thank you yet again Rog. I will listen to some more Martha Argerich tonight, after I've finished with Daniel Lanois' fabulous Belladonna. Mind you, I'm a bit more of an AC/DC man myself - Whole Lotta Rosie, She's Got Balls - that sort of thing. Also on my homework list is to watch Solaris at some time. I've looked at buying one of the Bartos books, but only Yard Sale is available at anything like a reasonable price. Political Abstraction, too, should enter my list. Due to stupidity we in Australia are no longer able to get many books shipped here so we are reliant on the local sellers. Doon Arbus' The Libraries for example is therefore unobtainable here. Back on the Gibson book, looking up some of the page pairings, the work does indeed seem a bit of a departure for him - perhaps here he puts me more in mind of an Aaron Siskind, where the motifs seem to evolve from a kind of symbology. I am very heartened by his dedication to Mary Ellen Mark. She'd have been chuffed I'd think.

Dostoevsky was wrong. All you have to do is mentally colour-in the polar bear pink. Voilà - no more white polar bear. Which brings me to dissect your palette, and I am thinking it may have once belonged to Matisse. I really like that scarlet/cadmium combination - a quick research reveled images by Jan van Eyck (Portrait of a Man) and various by Patrick Heron who also used that combination to devastating effect. Bravo!

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 2

Cheers Phil.

It's an area close to home, and thinking back I've hit it with virtually most of the current and plenty of the past cameras, both film and digital. So it's likely that you've seen it before.

The Summaron is goggled, and was part of the M3 package I secured recently, very happy. Both are going on holiday with me soon, and along with the SWC, so plenty of weird looks coming.

Gary

I look forward to seeing the results, Gary. Yes, I don't think many people look at the goggled Leicas just once - there always seems to be that double-take! And an SWC just is weird. Happy holidays!

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1

Congratulations - both to you and to the purchaser. It's a strikingly beautiful print!

She also purchased this one, which I think fits her line of work quite well

(72x40”)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 18

Guest Nowhereman

These university students are standing in front of a photo booth shop in the Ratchada Soi 4 entertainment area in Bangkok, thirteen years ago. Most nightlife areas had photo booths, but all this has been replaced by the selfie. A majority are taken by girls and young women: just do a web search for “Why people take selfies" to read many types of analyses of this phenomenon.

M6  |  Summilux 50 pre-ASPH  | Tri-X

post-41618-0-92467700-1531676316.jpg_______________

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Berlinische Galerie, Berlin, 2012

Leica Mini II, Kodak BW400CN

Sharif

• Like 17

GNAM! Street food festival in Martina Franca!

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X

41642360840_2d85ca1ecc_b.jpg

20180708-DSC00483 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

I like this Antonio - I think for me it's the contrast and the glow.

Question for you, please: how did you determine exposure - meter for the highlights (the lighting) and add a stop, one and a half, or two possibly?

• Like 4