I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

So here is one from my trial run with the Fuji GX 617.  I had it scanned by a printing/scanning shop in NYC that has an X5.  Cost me $18 and I didn't like the output.  So I need to now think about a scanning solution...

This file - at 21017x7065 is simply massive at a little over 1GB. (I also sense my computer crashing soon loaded up with these files!)

Morning Glow over the East River (looking at the Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge), NYC

Ektar (6x17 - full frame)

attachicon.giffirst 6x17.jpg

I am not sure if it is the format, but, for some reason, I find it more difficult to pull my concentration from the foreground and consider the city. With the Linhof shots it is exactly the opposite. Beautiful photograph.

• Like 2

I am not sure if it is the format, but, for some reason, I find it more difficult to pull my concentration from the foreground and consider the city. With the Linhof shots it is exactly the opposite. Beautiful photograph.

Thanks very much for your opinion, Wayne.  I need more time with this, for sure.  I think the strong highlights from the distant left kind of melts out of sight if you don't have the additional detail and sharpness from the full res version.  I totally hear what you are saying.  The journey begins!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2

Thanks very much for your opinion, Wayne.  I need more time with this, for sure.  I think the strong highlights from the distant left kind of melts out of sight if you don't have the additional detail and sharpness from the full res version.  I totally hear what you are saying.  The journey begins!

So, are you going to buy the camera? :)

• Like 1

It is loads of fun considering your photographs. The are so well done that a person cannot help but consider, in more detail, what is happening to his/her vision. I wonder if the draw to the foreground is not rooted in the maganitude of presence presented by the huge bridge pier on the right. it is like.....whatever hits it, e.g. your vision, ricochets back and to the left.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimg927m-2.jpg

Agfa Ambi Sillette, 35/2 Agfa Color-Ambion, Ektar

attachicon.gifm-2.jpg

Agfa Ambi-Silette, Agfa 35/2 Color-Ambion, Ektar

attachicon.gifimg913s-3.jpg

Agfa Ambi-Silette, Agfa 35/4 Color Ambion ( I may have given wrong f, before) Ektar

Great series, Wayne! Love them all.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So here is one from my trial run with the Fuji GX 617.  I had it scanned by a printing/scanning shop in NYC that has an X5.  Cost me $18 and I didn't like the output.  So I need to now think about a scanning solution...

This file - at 21017x7065 is simply massive at a little over 1GB. (I also sense my computer crashing soon loaded up with these files!)

Morning Glow over the East River (looking at the Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge), NYC

Fujinon 90mm, Ektar (6x17 - full frame)

It's an awesome photo, Adam. Worth every MB! In this format, I think the best option would be a flatbed scanner, but I doubt you would like the output either.

• Like 1

Love those two above, Edward - that feeling of a sultry tropical night really comes through very strongly. I can almost smell those fritters (yum!).

This picture is one that I hope further illustrates the (subjective) value of pictures taken with a mindset that there is sometimes a picture there when there isn't one:

p364758218-5.jpg

Once Was A Doorway, Moorabbin 2014

Mamiya 7ii (now departed), 65mm (ditto), Fuji Reala (ditto)

Thank you for the nice comments, Phil!

There is something evocative in your photograph. Not only the pleasant color but also the patterns, and of course the door that isn't there :)

• Like 2

If you're going to invest in 6x17cm format, you need a scanner that can complement the high quality lenses and the format.  There is no point in the investment unless you are going to print big and you need a scanner that has the resolution and the Dmax to do justice to the film output.  At the very least you need to be looking at a Flextight.  A Tango would be ideal. 

When you see a large print made from a carefully exposed and scanned 6x17cm Velvia 50 tansparency, the detail is mind blowing.  A few years ago I gave a series of presentations at The Photography Show, sponsored by Epson UK.  Epson were launching a couple of new large format printers at the time and were making prints from my Velvia 50 scans at 12x4' and 15x5'.  Every print disappeared from the stand within seconds of being trimmed off the end of the printers, I was very pleased with the output though.  The largest image that has been made from my Fuji GX617 was used in a London wine bar that was actually below street level.  The image  was a shot I took of downtown Seattle from the top of the Space Needle.  It was used around an entire wall in the wine bar to give customers the impression of being at the top of a tower, looking down onto a city.

Persevere with the format, but bear in mind the 90mm wide angle is pretty extreme and foreground objects can dominate the scene, which is what is happening with the bridge pier on the right of your image.  You'll have a lot of fun with it and when you get it right, it will bring you a lot of recognition because the format treated properly and printed big is unmatched by anything for outright spectacle.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 2

Large negatives produce large scans, my Epson V600 flatbed produces 500mb files TIF when I scan the negs at 3200dpi. Editing, and adding adjustment layers can easily produce a 1gb file. It takes a lot of computer to work with one of those without it seeming it's going to crash all the time.

• Like 3

There is something entrancing in this one. Very nice eye. For some reason I was sure this was going to be from the Pen F.

Thanks Wayne. Looking at the grain I can see the similarity with the half frame. I didn't play greatly in post, other than to correct an under exposure (could that explain, I wonder?) and adding a small amount of contrast. This nearly ended up on the cutting floor as a failure, but I thought it was worth some feedback and I thank you again for that.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2

Lovely picture, but I disapprove of such big files. A Flextight scanner makes superior results at lower resolutions - you have never seen anything I have scanned beyond 1500ppi for MF or 3000ppi for 35mm. Like anyone else, I can select far higher resolutions with my V850, make enormous files, but they don't look as good. I don't much care for the technicalities; I just want adequate results.

PS $18US per frame is about right if you want to pay for 'servicing' at the intervals that Flexcolor software recommends. Lunacy. I'll do it for $17!  :D

• Like 1

My niece walking by the door to the patio, while we were watching a game of the world cup.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X

28413807177_cef047504f_b.jpg

20180708-DSC00495 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Antonio, this is stunning! An amazing knock-your-socks-off photograph. Not only that marvellous and perfectly realized silhouette, but the detail of what is happening in the background - someone in a chair apparently speaking with someone out-of-shot in great light. Just a sensationally realized, evocative and atmospheric slice of life.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 5

Lovely picture, but I disapprove of such big files. A Flextight scanner makes superior results at lower resolutions - you have never seen anything I have scanned beyond 1500ppi for MF or 3000ppi for 35mm. Like anyone else, I can select far higher resolutions with my V850, make enormous files, but they don't look as good. I don't much care for the technicalities; I just want adequate results.

PS $18US per frame is about right if you want to pay for 'servicing' at the intervals that Flexcolor software recommends. Lunacy. I'll do it for $17!  :D

Chris - So are you suggesting that I first pay $18 to have a lower res scan made.  Then I spend my day and night editing it.  Then realize that it is a keeper and schlep back to the third party scanning service with my negative and pay another $18 for another scan and then repeat all the editing?  Is this supposed to save me time, expense, hassle?  

Perhaps you are suggesting that I have two scans made from the outset, one full and one lower.  Even that has many questions marks in my mind.

I am firmly in the school of thought that for those negs that I decide to scan, I go as large as possible so that any keepers that emerge are ready to rock and roll into prime time. :) 

If you're going to invest in 6x17cm format, you need a scanner that can complement the high quality lenses and the format.  There is no point in the investment unless you are going to print big and you need a scanner that has the resolution and the Dmax to do justice to the film output.  At the very least you need to be looking at a Flextight.  A Tango would be ideal. 

When you see a large print made from a carefully exposed and scanned 6x17cm Velvia 50 tansparency, the detail is mind blowing.  A few years ago I gave a series of presentations at The Photography Show, sponsored by Epson UK.  Epson were launching a couple of new large format printers at the time and were making prints from my Velvia 50 scans at 12x4' and 15x5'.  Every print disappeared from the stand within seconds of being trimmed off the end of the printers, I was very pleased with the output though.  The largest image that has been made from my Fuji GX617 was used in a London wine bar that was actually below street level.  The image  was a shot I took of downtown Seattle from the top of the Space Needle.  It was used around an entire wall in the wine bar to give customers the impression of being at the top of a tower, looking down onto a city.

Persevere with the format, but bear in mind the 90mm wide angle is pretty extreme and foreground objects can dominate the scene, which is what is happening with the bridge pier on the right of your image.  You'll have a lot of fun with it and when you get it right, it will bring you a lot of recognition because the format treated properly and printed big is unmatched by anything for outright spectacle.

Thanks, Steve.  I am indeed a bit shocked that there aren't more Flextights (either the newer Hassys or older Imacons) for sale on the second hand market.