I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Deep indeed, and yes, I had to resort to checking what it was.

Where do you source film pray tell?

Gary

It came with the re-loadable 16mm cassettes. My Minox experience made that part of it a cake-walk. the tricky part is threading the the film through the advance mechanism.....which works perfectly. Advancing film feels very much like winding up a toy made in the 60s.

• Like 1

I just exposed my last hand rolled Fomapan 400 Action. I misfocused a good number of photos (probably a good 60-70%). I misfocused the photos with the subjects at a certain distance shooting usually at F5.6-8 and, strangely, my wife did the same when shooting me.

I don't blame camera+lens, of course.

The close-ups, which I usually screw up, came out fine.

The positive thing is that taking photos is not my job and I can screw up as much as I want  :)

Here's one of those that look fine to me.

Nikkormat FT2, Nikkor 50/1.4, Fomapan 400

41932420465_511f037ca8_b.jpg

20180615-DSC00329 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

This is a magnificent portrait. Timing and character. I think what you have managed to do would have been pretty much as captivating, no matter the film, lens, or camera. What a memory you have created for yourself!

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 3

This is a magnificent portrait. Timing and character. I think what you have managed to do would have been pretty much as captivating, no matter the film, lens, or camera. What a memory you have created for yourself!

Agreed 100%.

Gary

• Like 1

I just exposed my last hand rolled Fomapan 400 Action. I misfocused a good number of photos (probably a good 60-70%). I misfocused the photos with the subjects at a certain distance shooting usually at F5.6-8 and, strangely, my wife did the same when shooting me.

The positive thing is that taking photos is not my job and I can screw up as much as I want  :) 

Why Antonio? Before I realised the Nikkormat, I assumed the M3 and 50mm. But how/why so many misfocussed shots with the SLR?

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HB501c, Sonnar C 150mm, HP5 @100Iso, Rodinal 1:100 20Min

• Like 18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The mighty Redwoods of California, Kings Canyon NP

Hasselblad, 80mm, Fujifilm NPH400

Regards,

Ramesh

• Like 12

Ernest!  Another poetic masterpiece that transcends my snappy snaps!!  Love it!! Thank you for being you!

Your blur renditions beg a much wider conversation, the underpinnings and strategies involved with the apparent as opposed to the implied image. What's there that isn't there.  Issues of ambiguity versus clarity. Intimation of time dictated by the constraints of exposure in motion blur. And, so forth. Lately, you, Wayne, and Philipus have been producing very creative images that merit further discussion. Your Flatiron Building does more than suggest motion, the passage of time captured, but by layering the signage from the back of the bus, you produce a kind of three-dimensional effect. This is different than the ghostly effect Philipus gets with his streak blurs (reminiscent of Gerhard Richter's squeegee and strip paintings) or the kind of muted OOF blur in Wayne's Wanderlust. I will come back to this with some of my thoughts, so we can continue the discussion and hear what Phil has to say, as well.

Rog (or Ernest), either one works

Great colors from the Portra 400, Gary.  I really like the first one in particular.  Lots to look at!!

Continuing with Cinque Terre.

R6 with 35 Summicron & 24 Elmarit.

Portra 400

Plustek 8100

Gary

Really nice colors, Philip.  And the bokeh works really well with the silhouette.  

London, Nov 2017

Flickr

85/1.8 Ektar X1

Wow, this is a stunning abstract.  Very creative!!

attachicon.gifSon150-05.jpg

HB501c, Sonnar C 150mm, HP5 @100Iso, Rodinal 1:100 20Min

• Like 2

Flatiron Building, NYC

SWC, Delta 400

attachicon.gifflat.jpg

Quite a stunning photograph. For some reason it makes me think of the history of the city. For me, the building is the Iconic NYC structure. Ownership of the building must bring a bit of status to the fortunate New York City real estate maven. It is hard to believe it is no older (1902) than it is. 

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 2

A cliched shot perhaps, and not really my usual taste but I am posting it because it shows how the super angulon 21mm f4 creates 18 point sunstars with the 9 bladed aperture diaphragm.

Portra 400, super-angulon f4 21mm, M3, Nikon Coolscan V.

• Like 19

Hitch

Minox B, Portra 400

• Like 16

Very nice Antonio! It has a look similar to the 1970's. Please some more :)

Thanks! Fomapan 400 looks kind of vintage sometimes! I had fun shooting a whole bulk roll of that.

Thank, Wayne. I shot a few portraits that day, but this is the one I personally prefer overall.

Why Antonio? Before I realised the Nikkormat, I assumed the M3 and 50mm. But how/why so many misfocussed shots with the SLR?

Gary

Honestly, I have no idea how I misfocused that many shots. Operator error for sure. The Nikkormat is already loaded and operational; it has been my usual take-along camera lately, I can keep it in the backpack when I go to work without problems.

This time I loaded it with a roll of Astrum/Svema 400 which I saw from Wayne a few weeks ago.

I think after this roll I'll start using again the Nikon F, although its light seals are crumbling away.

• Like 3

Minox B, Porta 400

• Like 19

Thanks a lot, Wayne.  I agree.  Some buildings just have more mojo than others.  This one has a double dose. :)

Quite a stunning photograph. For some reason it makes me think of the history of the city. For me, the building is the Iconic NYC structure. Ownership of the building must bring a bit of status to the fortunate New York City real estate maven. It is hard to believe it is no older (1902) than it is. 

Very nice light, Adrian.  Well done!

A cliched shot perhaps, and not really my usual taste but I am posting it because it shows how the super angulon 21mm f4 creates 18 point sunstars with the 9 bladed aperture diaphragm.

Portra 400, super-angulon f4 21mm, M3, Nikon Coolscan V.

Made me smile :)

Hitch

attachicon.gifimg354.jpg

Minox B, Portra 400

Flatiron Building, NYC

SWC, Delta 400

attachicon.gifflat.jpg

Adam, even from you - and we've come to expect some outstanding images as par for the course from you - but sometimes a photograph can transcend many boundaries. This is one such. As Rog points out, it is both at a time and yet timeless. Only still photography can do this. What human mind could conjure such a juxtaposition were it not there in the first place? This space, occupied in real time as the shutter was open (surely a conscious and premeditated decision on the part of the artist) by a "see more spend less" juggernaut speeding through, demanding its slice of space and time in front of such an iconic building. And what a building - from the earliest explorations by Stieglitz, which were begun just after the building was completed, this New York icon has captured the imagination of artists. And this picture ups the ante - it is that good. Sometimes a photograph just makes you stare in wonder. This is one such picture.

• Like 3

Adam, even from you - and we've come to expect some outstanding images as par for the course from you - but sometimes a photograph can transcend many boundaries. This is one such. As Rog points out, it is both at a time and yet timeless. Only still photography can do this. What human mind could conjure such a juxtaposition were it not there in the first place? This space, occupied in real time as the shutter was open (surely a conscious and premeditated decision on the part of the artist) by a "see more spend less" juggernaut speeding through, demanding its slice of space and time in front of such an iconic building. And what a building - from the earliest explorations by Stieglitz, which were begun just after the building was completed, this New York icon has captured the imagination of artists. And this picture ups the ante - it is that good. Sometimes a photograph just makes you stare in wonder. This is one such picture.

Sincere thanks as always for your opinion and perspective.  Once again you, Rog and others have shared insights into ways of looking at life that only a true artist can possess.

This is a scene that is sooo oft-shot that it is difficult to make it your own.  It is a real challenge and one that I have taken up more of late and will do so even more once my 53mm Biogon gets back from the technician (the 6x9 in portrait position is really the best POV of my gear-choices)!

This Sunday, the Flatiron will be the starting point of the annual LGBT Pride Parade.  I hope to be there locked and loaded! :)

Thanks again,  Adam 

• Like 2

Antonio I completely agree with others. This is an outstanding portrait that could only be made by someone and of someone with a lot of love for each other in their hearts. Very very special.

• Like 6