I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

And here another color shot with the same jacket pocket camera:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rollei Prego micron - Fuji Superia 100

• Like 19

Slide film - almost certainly Ektachrome, taken November 1990 from the observation deck of the World Trade Center. Scanned in only a few days back.

• Like 18

Wow this is very nice Adam. A bucket list shot, most definitely. Simple and dramatic in equal measures.

This past week I was able to check something off of my bucket list.  There was thick low fog covering New York City and I was able to seize the moment with my SWC.  This type of fog is very rare in NYC; it only comes along once a year or two and often w/o warning.  

We had a couple of unseasonably warm days and then it got rainy and so I had my suspicions.  This time rather than HP5 and Tri-X (strong with deep blacks) I brought along Acros 100 and Delta 100 with the vision of capturing more of an old fashioned look with a range of grays.

Here's one of the Brooklyn Bridge, which conveniently just had its scaffolding removed from its underbelly.

SWC, Delta 100

attachicon.giffog.jpg

I like the very compressed perspective, which is more than I would have expected for a 90mm. Citizen isn't a sign one sees often these days.

Hong Kong

(1995)

10119705254_039a01d7ce_b.jpg

Leica R 7 * Leica Summicron 2.0/90 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

Very nice, whereabouts in Bayern? Does that camera always print the shutter speed, aperture and focal length on the film? Quite a useful feature.

Bavaria

11031541683_d3c3c4e67c_b.jpg

Pentax 645n * Pentax 645 AF 2.8/75 * Fuji Velvia 100F * Reflecta MF 5000

Wow, Helge, wonderful. But indulge us with details. You can't just post a picture of Mount Everest and not say how it came about.

Sun-set on Mt. Everest, viewed from the Chinese side.

Mamiya 7, Fuji Provia 100.

Very nice mountain scenery James. The grainy gritty high-key look adds drama effectively.

My next contribution can't compete with the last entries, but it continues the mountain theme:

attachicon.gifBild-1-167.jpg

Rollei Prego micron - Agfa Vista 100 (converted to black&white with Silver Efex)

• Like 4

I like the very compressed perspective, which is more than I would have expected for a 90mm. Citizen isn't a sign one sees often these days.

Very nice, whereabouts in Bayern? Does that camera always print the shutter speed, aperture and focal length on the film? Quite a useful feature.

It was a little crop after Scan, like in the Darkroom ;)

Thanks a lot Philipps, it is near the „Spitzingsee“! Yes, the Pentax always print the shutter speed, aperture and focal length on the film. It is a very nice feature, what I like!

Edited by S/W
  • Like 2

Eoin,

Very natural looking 'slice of life' pictures that represent the way and pace of life in Thailand from what I recall of my time there.

Pete.

Which is good, Pete, except that it's Mumbai... ;) It is a slice that is repeatable throughout Asia, though, so your recollection remains flawless  :) 

• Like 1

Wow, Helge, wonderful. But indulge us with details. You can't just post a picture of Mount Everest and not say how it came about.

Thanks. In my former life ;) , I spent quite some time in China; always bringing two Mamiya 7 bodies and the 43, 65 and 150 mm lenses with me. One body was equipped with ir film, the other with Fuji Provia 100F. And we are talking about loads of film... As co-leader of a scientific research institute in Beijing, I had the chance to travel around in China, visiting remote places, staying at farmer's houses and, once, visiting the Mt Everest base camp on the Chinese side. The evening photo from the base camp was taken during this stay. I remember freezing cold nights and very warm days; a burning sun - and constant altitude sickness... The Chinese colleagues were even more reduced than me, so I went solo with my backpack and tripod to freeze the impressions. I remember I was only able to walk for 5-10 min, then I had to rest for some minutes, before continuing. Quite an experience... And quite a place. Nothing special for alpinists, but very special for the lowlanders among us...

• Like 8

Which is good, Pete, except that it's Mumbai... ;) It is a slice that is repeatable throughout Asia, though, so your recollection remains flawless  :)

Sheesh, that's a noob mistake because you'd put Mumbai in the title too.  Somehow I'd mentally connected it with Thailand but I agree with you that it's very reminiscent of other Asian locations.  (Note to Self: read the title!)

Pete. ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks. In my former life ;) , I spent quite some time in China; always bringing two Mamiya 7 bodies and the 43, 65 and 150 mm lenses with me. One body was equipped with ir film, the other with Fuji Provia 100F. And we are talking about loads of film... As co-leader of a scientific research institute in Beijing, I had the chance to travel around in China, visiting remote places, staying at farmer's houses and, once, visiting the Mt Everest base camp on the Chinese side. The evening photo from the base camp was taken during this stay. I remember freezing cold nights and very warm days; a burning sun - and constant altitude sickness... The Chinese colleagues were even more reduced than me, so I went solo with my backpack and tripod to freeze the impressions. I remember I was only able to walk for 5-10 min, then I had to rest for some minutes, before continuing. Quite an experience... And quite a place. Nothing special for alpinists, but very special for the lowlanders among us...

Thank you for the background story, Helged. It makes the shot even more interesting.

• Like 1

Very keen observation, Pete.  Spoken like a true engineer! :)

Adam,

A well-planned and very interesting photo particularly for the optical illusion where the fog makes the bridge support look 'lighter' and less able to support the weight of the deck above it - almost as though it should be the other way up (or soon will be :lol:).  Delta 100 shows an excellent range of grey tones too.

Pete.

Ha, ha, add them to the parade procession, too!  We'll save big on the budget! :)

For Adam

(USA, Florida, St. Augustine, canonshoot for tourists)

attachicon.gifUSA_Florida_St. Augustine.jpg

Pentax 645n * Pentax 645 AF 2.8/75 * Fuji Acros 100 * Adonal 1+50 * Reflecta MF 5000

These two are incredible.  As is the story behind them.  Congrats and thanks for sharing them!

Sun-set on Mt. Everest, viewed from the Chinese side.

Mamiya 7, Fuji Provia 100.

Another memorable sun-set, this time from the Azores.

Mamiya 7, 43mm, Fuji Provia 100.

Awesome view, James.  

Stunning impressions, Helge! Once more I'm puzzled, what exactly digital photography was invented for  :lol:

My next contribution can't compete with the last entries, but it continues the mountain theme:

attachicon.gifBild-1-167.jpg

Rollei Prego micron - Agfa Vista 100 (converted to black&white with Silver Efex)

Amazing family moment that will be appreciated for decades to come!

And here another color shot with the same jacket pocket camera:

attachicon.gifBild-1-168.jpg

Rollei Prego micron - Fuji Superia 100

Great result from the expired film, Adrian.  

Delta 400 kept in freezer for about 8 years. Seems fragile in regards scratching.

I must say the skyline looks more pleasing than it does from that vantage point today.  And it is only getting worse!

Slide film - almost certainly Ektachrome, taken November 1990 from the observation deck of the World Trade Center. Scanned in only a few days back.

Very dramatic, Philip.  A case in which the extreme blue shadows takes over the image in an artistic sense.

This is the pier at the Scheveningen beach here in town. Shot on the same evening as the fireworks earlier.

Flickr

80 Planar Provia 400X (expired)

• Like 4

to much cheap% 

1977 on the Yonne river after a trip with a rowing boat on the Canal de Bourgogne

Praktika Ltl Pentacon auto 50mm Fp4

Rgds

Joachim

• Like 16

Ohio out of its banks. They reminded me of beached whales.

Russian copy of Contax III, Soviet Sonnar 50mm 2.0, Ilford FP4+

• Like 16

Minox B, Kodak Plux-X

• Like 17

Minox B, Kodak Plux-X expired

• Like 16

Guest Nowhereman

The last two images that I'll post of Xia Mengzhu, from the series of 20-odd shots made last week during her visit from Shanghai, at the Rakuda Photo Artisans (photo lab cum café) in Chiang Mai. The first one is in glamour mode and the second one more whimsical. (M3/DR Summicron/Tri-X in D76.)

NYC, Tri-X, IIIg, 28 summaron

Edited by A miller
  • Like 17